Florida State (Game 3) 1pm ACCNX

I don't like the hitting philosophy either. They take way too may pitches. It woeks out when a pitcher struggles with the strike zone, but puts you behind in the when they're on. Miami's opponents know this. They fire a fastball down the middle of the plate while the Miami hitters are flat footed.

The second thing that bothers me is the two strike approach. The only players with a good 2 strike approach are the Del Castillo brothers. Everyone except them tries to pull the ball. With 2 strikes you have to think opposite field for several reasons. The first is that 9/10 times the pitcher is going to throw something outside. Our hitters can't hit an outside pitch or curveball because their shoulder and hips have already opened (pull swing) so the bat can't even reach the ball or it swings over the top of the curveball. Thinking opposite field with 2 strikes keeps the shoulder and hips closed with the bat on plane to the ball. I pointed out yesterday that FSU's Nelson did this perfectly with 2 strikes and hit an opposite field homerun. If he had tried to pull the ball, he would have struck out or rolled over a groundball.

I like Gino, but I really question what he's teaching these guys because the Del Castillo's seem to be the anomaly on this team when it comes to hitting approaches.
Yep, and I was a pitcher but I knew that, in part because I exploited it when I could see the hitter was never going to stay back and go up the middle or the opposite way. They just hoped you hung one and they might crush it; but nine times out of ten, it was a swing and a miss or a weak groundball.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back