Florida State (Game 3) 1pm ACCNX

Advertisement
Team did not show up at all. The approach at the plate has been very frustrating to me for years now. Let strikes grooved right down the middle go by, then swing at the pitcher's pitch in the dirt. That's become Miami baseball.

Is this weekend as bad as the Al Golden Clemson game? IMO.....maybe.

He has to tske the blame. It's his team. I think the fielding and pitching will work itself out, but the hitting bothers me and thathis wheelhouse.
Federman has to be pulled from the rotation. Middle relief is getting hammered, too. It is a lefthanded dominated lineup right now that struggles against any lefty with a pulse.

Safe to say we are out of national seed contention. Probably one maybe 2 bad weekends away from being out of hosting contention. And by bad weekends I mean not sweeping UVA, Duke, Clemson, BC and App. Just winning series against bad teams isn’t good enough anymore. We have no wiggle room.

we may not make a regional.

let that marinade

Advertisement
we may not make a regional.

let that marinade
I said before the season that I wasn't sure if this club under Gino makes post season based on what I saw last year (Same routine mistakes/mental lapses). But I still consider it to be a fireable offense if they start a new streak of not making post season. We all know it won't happen but at a place like Vandy or Arkansas I'm pretty sure he would be ****canned for being preseason top 10-15 and not making a regional with this much returning production.

I said before the season that I wasn't sure if this club under Gino makes post season based on what I saw last year (Same routine mistakes/mental lapses). But I still consider it to be a fireable offense if they start a new streak of not making post season. We all know it won't happen but at a place like Vandy or Arkansas I'm pretty sure he would be ****canned for being preseason top 10-15 and not making a regional with this much returning production.
Yeah, UM has a love hate relationship with sports. They love the money associated with sports, but seem to hate what it takes to win, and the people needed to build a winning program.

Team did not show up at all. The approach at the plate has been very frustrating to me for years now. Let strikes grooved right down the middle go by, then swing at the pitcher's pitch in the dirt. That's become Miami baseball.

It's like they give away the initiative every at bat. What pitch can you be looking for that you don't even step into a pitch right down the middle? Pitchers seem to do the same ****. So busy trying to paint the corner they get way behind in the count letting the batters look for certain pitches. Also, not a fan of the play sheet on the pitchers belt. Seems like it'd be hard to get into a rhythm having to stare at a card for 5 seconds looking for the pitch call.

Miami is 5-2 on the road and 4-5 at home. With such sparse crowds and not much energy, it makes sense that the road teams would fare better in 2021. It's no excuse for getting swept 34-2 against your rival but we'll probably play more loose these next 5 games.

Advertisement

I don't like the hitting philosophy either. They take way too may pitches. It woeks out when a pitcher struggles with the strike zone, but puts you behind in the when they're on. Miami's opponents know this. They fire a fastball down the middle of the plate while the Miami hitters are flat footed.

The second thing that bothers me is the two strike approach. The only players with a good 2 strike approach are the Del Castillo brothers. Everyone except them tries to pull the ball. With 2 strikes you have to think opposite field for several reasons. The first is that 9/10 times the pitcher is going to throw something outside. Our hitters can't hit an outside pitch or curveball because their shoulder and hips have already opened (pull swing) so the bat can't even reach the ball or it swings over the top of the curveball. Thinking opposite field with 2 strikes keeps the shoulder and hips closed with the bat on plane to the ball. I pointed out yesterday that FSU's Nelson did this perfectly with 2 strikes and hit an opposite field homerun. If he had tried to pull the ball, he would have struck out or rolled over a groundball.

I like Gino, but I really question what he's teaching these guys because the Del Castillo's seem to be the anomaly on this team when it comes to hitting approaches.

This weekend was so ugly it took the spotlight off Fed’s performance yesterday. Do we all agree that he has to be removed from weekend rotation?

Lol. You’re clearly full of hopes and dreams.
No. We have some really great young arms. They're going to get better. At minimum, Rosario, Palmquist, and Madero will be drafted in the first 5 rounds. There are other 95+ arms that need to be developed. You don't know anything about baseball. You just see a box score and ***** and moan.
Lol. You’re clearly full of hopes and dreams.
You're just a dillusional person who doesn't understand the game of baseball. Why are you even here? You don't add any value to any conversation.

This goes back to my rant against the over-reliance on South Florida travel ball heroes. You're right, they aren't that good. But our staff is being paid very well to find guys who ARE that good. Vanderbilt manages to find productive baseball players in California, Florida, New Jersey, New Hampshire, etc. They have eight (8) players from their own state.

Recruiting takes work. People think I'm exaggerating, but our staff literally calls the local travel ball coaches and asks "who you got for us?" An out of state player has to make the first contact if he's interested in Miami. We don't find those guys on our own. Then, when the South Florida kids show up with no glove, no heart, no grit, and little baseball knowledge, we act shocked since we had such a great recruiting class. Rinse, repeat. And that's how you go 12 years and win one single game in the CWS at a program like Miami.
You need to slow down and give it time. These kids were playing high school ball last year. The disappointment is with the veterans.

The days of getting to the CWS every year are over. Not just for Miami, but for everyone. Look at FSU, Texas, OK State, Stanford., etc. Even Vanderbilt and Florida don't make it every year and UF has won 1 CWS title and 12 CWS appearances in the entirety of their program.

There's talent everywhere and every team plays on tv so it's a lot harder to get the best talent to go to a few schools.

I think the realistic expectation is to make a Super Regional every year and to the CWS 1 in every 4 years.

I don't like Gino's hitting philosophy, but let's look at the bigger picture.

First of all, he got the team to a super regional in his 1st year as HC after the team missed 2 consecutive years of getting to the post season.

Secondly, last year's team was Omaha worthy with one of the best trio of pitchers who all got drafted last year. If the season wasn't cancelled and Miami made it to Omaha, there would be a different narrative this year.

Again, what is most disappointing to me is the lack of veteran production. Freshman are going to be up and down, but the veteran players should be rock solid and they're not by a mile. I think most of veterans are worrying about getting drafted and have spiraled down mentaly.

Advertisement
You need to slow down and give it time. These kids were playing high school ball last year. The disappointment is with the veterans.
Oh, we're young again? That seems to happen quite often. Where is the development so that we don't have disappointing veterans every year?

The days of getting to the CWS every year are over. Not just for Miami, but for everyone. Look at FSU, Texas, OK State, Stanford., etc. Even Vanderbilt and Florida don't make it every year and UF has won 1 CWS title and 12 CWS appearances in the entirety of their program.
Every year? You think we're demanding the CWS every year? For the last five seasons we are barely a regional team. Let's get back to making the tournament regularly before we start talking about the CWS.

Advertisement
First of all, he got the team to a super regional in his 1st year as HC after the team missed 2 consecutive years of getting to the post season.

Super Regional? We lost in the regionals. 2-2. You don't remember losing to mighty Central Michigan in game one?

Secondly, last year's team was Omaha worthy with one of the best trio of pitchers who all got drafted last year. If the season wasn't cancelled and Miami made it to Omaha, there would be a different narrative this year.

Right, the one season that would have proven Dimare's worth is the one that was canceled. How convenient.

There's talent everywhere and every team plays on tv so it's a lot harder to get the best talent to go to a few schools.

I think the realistic expectation is to make a Super Regional every year and to the CWS 1 in every 4 years.

I don't like Gino's hitting philosophy, but let's look at the bigger picture.

Again, what is most disappointing to me is the lack of veteran production. Freshman are going to be up and down, but the veteran players should be rock solid and they're not by a mile. I think most of veterans are worrying about getting drafted and have spiraled down mentaly.
Except for maybe Cal State Fullerton.

Advertisement
Back