EXHIBITION on 11/1 (v. NEWBERRY COLLEGE)

was at the game, DJ looked solid with his shooting also his defense looked better, brown is finally finishing at the rim which is good sign

newton was still doing newton things dribbling too much, making stupid passes, and running into double teams, he's probably going to still start but i wouldn't be surprised if lykes starts at some point

on lykes he looked solid dribbled the ball really well and wasn't afraid to get hit and sacrifice his body to make a play

walker looked really good, made a ton of plays, and looked good finishing at the rim

huell looked ok, still looked slow down low scoring but his defense looks like it stepped up a notch from last year he was very active guarding the paint

overall we looked solid just gotta work on the turnovers

The kid is not likely going to change at this point in his career.

Advertisement
Key is replacing the defense provided last season by Kamari and Davon. If a couple of the new guys commit to plaing D anywhere near that level, we'll be more than fine.

This might be the year of the offense. I don't expect DJ to go for 30 again but he can get fire hot. With Huells improvement, Lykes speed on the dribble and Lonnies ability to score in transition we could become a run and gun team that also plays great D.

was at the game, DJ looked solid with his shooting also his defense looked better, brown is finally finishing at the rim which is good sign

newton was still doing newton things dribbling too much, making stupid passes, and running into double teams, he's probably going to still start but i wouldn't be surprised if lykes starts at some point

on lykes he looked solid dribbled the ball really well and wasn't afraid to get hit and sacrifice his body to make a play

walker looked really good, made a ton of plays, and looked good finishing at the rim

huell looked ok, still looked slow down low scoring but his defense looks like it stepped up a notch from last year he was very active guarding the paint

Just sad because there were tweets about how much work he's been putting in the last several months.

Just sad because there were tweets about how much work he's been putting in the last several months.

All the other pieces are in place, but I don't see a deep tourney run with Newton at PG.

Advertisement
DJ is a sniper, great weapon to have in college hoops. Bruce's dunk was Westbrookesque! :eek:

Newton didn't look any different than last year really. Lots of talk over the summer that he'd improve in decision making.

Lykes looked good. Would have liked to see him shoot better though.

All the other pieces are in place, but I don't see a deep tourney run with Newton at PG.

So was it the fouling out in 15 minutes due to poor defense or the 1:2 Assist to turnover ratio that Chris Lykes posted that made you feel he is a better option than Newton? Ja'Quan had 6 assists and 3 steals to go along with his efficient scoring. He turned the ball over just as much as anyone else but I guess you guys have to have someone to bash or you wouldn't be "fans".

Advertisement

So was it the fouling out in 15 minutes due to poor defense or the 1:2 Assist to turnover ratio that Chris Lykes posted that made you feel he is a better option than Newton? Ja'Quan had 6 assists and 3 steals to go along with his efficient scoring. He turned the ball over just as much as anyone else but I guess you guys have to have someone to bash or you wouldn't be "fans".

Lykes doesn't seem ready yet either unfortunately. I don't get the white knighting for Newton. He's a poor PG who doesn't seem to be getting any better at it. He's also a proven knuckle head who let down his teammates by getting suspended twice now. On a final 4 caliber team, he's a role player. Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

You’re arguments are never based on any facts or data to support him being a bad player. He is an outstanding defender and exceptionally talented at scoring on drives. If you have numbers to reject this I’d be glad to continue the argument. It’s not “white-knighting” whenever a fan is supportive of a player on the team. It’s telling however, that people salivate at any chance to bash him on this board.

You’re arguments are never based on any facts or data to support him being a bad player. He is an outstanding defender and exceptionally talented at scoring on drives. If you have numbers to reject this I’d be glad to continue the argument. It’s not “white-knighting” whenever a fan is supportive of a player on the team. It’s telling however, that people salivate at any chance to bash him on this board.

I never said he was a bad player. He can be a good scorer. He is a good defender, would not say outstanding.

I said he was a bad point guard. Last year he averaged 31 minutes per game with 3.4 Assists and 3.3 turnovers. A very good Assist to turnover ratio for a PG is 2:1. Excellent is 3:1. 1:1 is terrible.

Actions and words.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back