DT Simeon Barrow, Jr. commits to Miami

View as article
I agree with you here. JHH and Barrow seem interchangeable to me. We have adequate not great starting DTs. Have to hope the young guys and our OL push them so hard in practice that they maximize their talents.
I think the whole thing probably took on a life that was not really intended. This thread is a wild ride.

We are gonna mash Florida that’s all I know.

Advertisement
Was never a JHH fan, I didn't understand the hype.
The hype was that he was one of the better DTs we had and from there his status was naturally elevated by the fanbase. Make no mistake his departure was a major loss cause we are cheeks at the position but Barrow is a huge improvement there. The part that sucks though is that there is a strong argument made that between the baseline we were at who we lost and gained, we still aren’t anywhere near where we need to be at DT. Hopefully one of the other guys on the roster steps up and fortifies the position.

Advertisement
I was surprised JHH went to SMU. I’m sure the NIL was better but I would have assumed he would get a better offer.

I don’t think Barrow will be worse than JHH and his stats show he is better so I don’t know what the downside is lol

Not sure how good he will be, but he certainly looks the part
GM6SWHCXIAAj5PA.jpeg

The hype was that he was one of the better DTs we had and from there his status was naturally elevated by the fanbase. Make no mistake his departure was a major loss cause we are cheeks at the position but Barrow is a huge improvement there. The part that sucks though is that there is a strong argument made that between the baseline we were at who we lost and gained, we still aren’t anywhere near where we need to be at DT. Hopefully one of the other guys on the roster steps 1up and fortifies the position.
I am of the belief that losing JHH didn't matter. He is and always will be a DT4 type. All we can do is hope we upgraded by adding 3 players that have been in college 5+ years.

Last edited:
I am of the belief that losing JHH didn't matter. He is and always will be a DT4 type. All we can do is hope we upgraded buy adding 3 players that have been in college 5+ years.
This thread is becoming laughable. Our top 3 DT is as good as anybody in the ACC except clemson (slightly better} and FSU push and VT close to us. clarke, cooke and barrow are very solid top 3. As good or better than any miami team since 2006; inlcuding 2017. Also, u gotta believe late bloomer (Campbell); Horton and Moten will provide serviceable snaps (10-15) a game throughout season. I like Campbell a lot (he just needs snaps); I love Horton hs tape (he is huge so he can at least help on run game); & moten going into 3rd year; gotta believe he will be better. Not banking on scott; jones or blounte, but have to believe one of them will flash as the season moves along (too highly rated not too). also, can move mesidor inside and bain on third and long. I do think Gerald Willis in 2018 is better than any of the DT we have now.

The guys we lost to portal or graduating (two jags in gore and lichenstein) & JHH was a undersized DT who played well at times, but more as a DE in 3-3-5 stack. He never made any game changing plays. LT was the only loss and graded below barrow in PFF (take with grain of salt) and not as consistent as barrow and disappeared in many games. I see Deen as a marlay cooke type player. Fought hard and made plays, but just barely above a jag.

In summary, I would take clarke, barrow and cooke over taylor, jhh and deen. Also, much more talented depth. plus our DE are much better, so the DT will not be double -teamed much. We are closer to Alabama georgia DL than duke or syracuse, much closer in my opinion.

Advertisement
This thread is becoming laughable. Our top 3 DT is as good as anybody in the ACC except clemson (slightly better} and FSU push and VT close to us. clarke, cooke and barrow are very solid top 3. As good or better than any miami team since 2006; inlcuding 2017. Also, u gotta believe late bloomer (Campbell); Horton and Moten will provide serviceable snaps (10-15) a game throughout season. I like Campbell a lot (he just needs snaps); I love Horton hs tape (he is huge so he can at least help on run game); & moten going into 3rd year; gotta believe he will be better. Not banking on scott; jones or blounte, but have to believe one of them will flash as the season moves along (too highly rated not too). also, can move mesidor inside and bain on third and long. I do think Gerald Willis in 2018 is better than any of the DT we have now.

The guys we lost to portal or graduating (two jags in gore and lichenstein) & JHH was a undersized DT who played well at times, but more as a DE in 3-3-5 stack. He never made any game changing plays. LT was the only loss and graded below barrow in PFF (take with grain of salt) and not as consistent as barrow and disappeared in many games. I see Deen as a marlay cooke type player. Fought hard and made plays, but just barely above a jag.

In summary, I would take clarke, barrow and cooke over taylor, jhh and deen. Also, much more talented depth. plus our DE are much better, so the DT will not be double -teamed much. We are closer to Alabama georgia DL than duke or syracuse, much closer in my opinion.
Not sure why anyone would have to believe that, but I look forward to it all coming to fruition.

Maybe he likes / trusts Lashlee and that staff

Kelly v Lashlee? Can I get to the NFL at either place? Check. … the anti-JHH post are laughable.

We’re essentially identical at DT vs LT, JHH, Deen and Gore to start the season. The depth of talented youth will definitely kick in a few games in to help in ACC play. But people are assuming all our top DL will play like Bain which is wishful thinking.

Advertisement
Advertisement
@Memnon is a grown *** man and doesn’t need anyone caping for him, so that’s not what I’m doing. But he’s participating in this discussion with a bazooka, and those taking the opposite position have little toy pop guns.

He’s reinforced his points with actual concrete statistics, film review, and is overall well informed, it seems like those that disagree with him are into their thoughts and feelings as opposed to anything that’s actually measurable or can be seen on film. He’s made an extremely strong case for Barrow being a more impactful player.

Not trying to be insulting, but if you’re going to disagree, come a little harder than that. Some statistics or film review or overall well informed points would be welcome.

The sneak shots people take at me are even crazier.

I've never said I'm never wrong or that no one can disagree with me. People disagree with me most of the time, all I ever ask is for proof to support a claim, it's really that simple. But the difference is, when I am wrong I have no problem with admitting I am & taking my L, but on the other hand, when I'm right it's always quiet as a church mouse & tumbleweeds rolling. Which is funny, but comes with the territory.
You'll always be person # 1 when it comes to db evals here on CIS. Considering it's the highest need we have this cycle you're gonna be likely active answering questions and giving opinions on prospects. I look forward to your input.

@Memnon is a grown *** man and doesn’t need anyone caping for him, so that’s not what I’m doing. But he’s participating in this discussion with a bazooka, and those taking the opposite position have little toy pop guns.

He’s reinforced his points with actual concrete statistics, film review, and is overall well informed, it seems like those that disagree with him are into their thoughts and feelings as opposed to anything that’s actually measurable or can be seen on film. He’s made an extremely strong case for Barrow being a more impactful player.

Not trying to be insulting, but if you’re going to disagree, come a little harder than that. Some statistics or film review or overall well informed points would be welcome.

Ok well let’s start with this then:

Here’s about 30 minutes of Michigan St defensive highlights of Barrow doing a whole lot of nothing

He gets some double teams but there’s plenty of single blocking where he gets pushed around

He makes a couple nice slips in here as well (I really like his ability to shed in Guidrys defense). I think he’s got some underrated athleticism the way he can move down the line and make plays.

I didn’t think stuff like this would need Lance level screenshots and descriptions of a guy just not making much of an impact on a game

Fine player and I’m over this whole thread. Hoping for the best from the dude and better than what I physically saw with my eyes last year

Last edited:
All I want for my birthday is a dline that talks sht all game long and backs it the fck up.

I want every opponent”s oline to say after the first series “it’s gonna be a long day”.

You don’t get a haul like this very often and then tell them to stay out and fill gaps for most of the game.

Too much Sunday cane juice on the beach. Feeling a little aggressive.

Advertisement
Back