Does anyone have any theories? (on lackluster recruiting)

It’s not a fair question. We were in the same situation last year. Appears to just be how Mario is doing things.

If June-August is a flop this discussion should be brought up then.
I don't think thats 100% accurate. Yes, it's June but this time last year Mario had yet to put a product on the field. Not apples to apples imo. Agree with the other poster that this year's product needs to be miles better than last years product. A lot of top targets are in a wait and see mode.

Advertisement
The strategy HAS ALREADY proven itself. #1 he didn't just start doing this here. It's synonymous with what he's done EVERYWHERE. #2 if that wasn't enough just look at what we've done in the portal. People weren't happy with what we'd done. No one wants to come etc... Well we have the #6 portal class in the country. Considering how heavy some schools had to go in the portal well that's **** good. If that's not enough then I'm sorry but at what point are these mopes gonna be happy? So many complaints. I guess short term memory is real. Cause for me I'm loving what we're doing in the here and now when I look at what we did since the early 2000s. The UNIVERSITY ITSELF is thriving AND we're re building a NATIONAL BRAND FROM THE GROUND UP...
Should have been more specific in saying proven itself “to the mopes”. You know as well as anyone there will ALWAYS be a few that’ll never be happy no matter what. Over time, Mario’s success will hopefully drown out those few left holding onto their mopiness.

I don't think thats 100% accurate. Yes, it's June but this time last year Mario had yet to put a product on the field. Not apples to apples imo. Agree with the other poster that this year's product needs to be miles better than last years product. A lot of top targets are in a wait and see mode.

It is apples to apples because it’s the same strategy he’s literally used everywhere. If you’re expecting top classes every year by May you’re going to be sorely disappointed.

We’ve been doing the exact opposite with every coach since Butch and it’s put us in this mess. Why not support a new method and breath of fresh air?

I disagree. I think we'll get some major commits this summer before anything else is seen on the field.

Maybe some WRs are in "wait and see" but that's probably it. Even still we got a very good wr (non slot guy too) already onboard after the terrible season we had last year.

Mario can recruit. I can question pretty much everything else about him. coaching hires.. GameDay decisions. Game plan. But not recruiting.

How big is the class going to be?

If this is half the class, then it’s a concern, even if there is a Mario like finish the rest of the way.

If it’s like a 1/3 of the class, it’s not ideal, but you can live with it as long as it’s 5* and high ranking 4* guys the rest of the way.

But Mario needs mostly clean sweeps from here on out.

Advertisement
We have 9 kids committed so far. 8 are 3*s. I'll bet a few of them will be bumped up to 4*s.

Last year we had 10 kids who committed as 3*s or less and 2 of them ended up getting bumped up to 4*s (Washington and Horton).

I'll bet we'll take at least 25 kids again and we probably currently have 6ish kids that will stay as 3*s.

...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?
Do you recall where we were before Rashada committed last summer?

Not worried, class should be top 7 and if they actually play well this year a top 5 should be the goal

Advertisement
The strategy HAS ALREADY proven itself. #1 he didn't just start doing this here. It's synonymous with what he's done EVERYWHERE. #2 if that wasn't enough just look at what we've done in the portal. People weren't happy with what we'd done. No one wants to come etc... Well we have the #6 portal class in the country. Considering how heavy some schools had to go in the portal well that's **** good. If that's not enough then I'm sorry but at what point are these mopes gonna be happy? So many complaints. I guess short term memory is real. Cause for me I'm loving what we're doing in the here and now when I look at what we did since the early 2000s. The UNIVERSITY ITSELF is thriving AND we're re building a NATIONAL BRAND FROM THE GROUND UP...
Cause the majority are Trolls brother!

It’s not a fair question. We were in the same situation last year. Appears to just be how Mario is doing things.

It is well known that outside of special circumstances, Mario doesn't want highly recruited national commits to give their pledge until they are sure. He prefers that they UV as much as possible, come with their parents, OV, and see other schools before they go public so that they don't regret committing early. It's wild to me that a lot of the same guys who were (understandably) *****ing that we were decommit U (oh, how quickly we forget) are the same guys who can't grasp how Mario manages the cycle to prevent them as much as he can.

It's all out there. This isn't proprietary info. And he literally showed us all the blueprint last year.

This isn't complicated. OV's haven't started yet. Zero. They start next week. One would surmise that we are likely to get a number of commitments from national prospects over the next eight weeks based on the extraordinary list of outstanding prospects that have visited this spring, and are OV'ing this summer.

This thread stinks

IMG_3375.gif

Advertisement
...As to why recruiting has been so lackluster thus far? As fans, we all know how this goes...last year we were letting FSU/Gator fans have it for how bad we were killing them in recruiting, now this year we’ve all adopted the “Stars are overrated and our recruits are better than their actual rating” defense. For the record, I have no issue with taking three stars here or there, but it is a little concerning when all but one is a three star with many of them being low three stars, at that. So I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s going on here, and this certainly isn’t up to par with what we’ve come to expect from Mario da God when it comes to recruiting. So is it because last year was such a disaster that we’re paying dearly for it in recruiting? Is there something that has changed with our NIL game, particularly Ruiz? Do we have some guys on staff that just aren’t great recruiters?
In the next 2-3 weeks, make sure your troll *** comes back to apologize.

We are in may. Last year ppl had the same concerns for no reason. If you look around the country, you’ll see most the teams you expect to make up the top 15 in recruiting rankings aren’t there rn..at this time last year Texas tech had a top 3 class..it’s clear you don’t follow recruiting all much..no disrespect. But my advice to you would be follow the visits..for us it’s gunna be June/July. That’s probably when the staff is really gunna push for the elite guys to hope on board

Advertisement

It’s how most major programs do things. This is not a Mario thing. A lot of these kids have not even started taking OVS

Advertisement
Back