2025 DJ Pickett 5* CB from Zephyrhills Commits to LSU

I remember when DJ committed, Damien SR said that one of the factors was (paraphrasing) playing in major big time/prime time games...

That was really funny to me because no other Coach loses more prime time games than "Big Game" Brian Kelly. That's not homeristic hyperbole either. BKellz has 35 losses against the AP top 25 for his career, (the most among all active Coaches), 4-16 against the top 10 & 0-7 against the top 5.
Plus the last 3 season opening games. Two to fspoo and this year to usc

Advertisement
Also I don’t understand why this has to be explained every recruiting cycle. “Well I hope LSU loses and let’s see what he thinks about them afterward”. Like bruh we just went 5-7 two years ago and cleaned up.

Every **** year man smh
I agree I guess the hope is you want to see a program lose so maybe the head coach throws some assistants under the bus and fires them to put the blame elsewhere

Facts people rooting for lsu to lose like if that’s going to change a relationship.
I know you're have been on this forever and it's mostly true but when all things are equal little things matter in high stakes sales. All things equal adding winning on top matters. You also want them to lose because it's year 3 for both coaches. If these guys don't improve on the field at this point there is less and less to sell and the product becomes less attractive. Believe me most of the sales I get in my business are based off trust and the relationship but there are a lot of factors that can cause variance outside of that.

I dont know if any of you saw "The Money Game" on Prime..but its basically free marketing for LSU athletics. Very impressive doc showcasing how LSU helps kids get NIL and the athletics dept in general.

I say all that to say..this is going to be extremely tough to flip this kid. I dont know. There is something just different about this one as opposed to JSmith. We know JSmith would have really given us a legit shot if we had any sense of a QB. No real infatuation with OSU. DJ just seems to be all in on LSU and Raymond.

Now..the more we win..the more we are in the media..the more we are on TV..the more we are relevant..the more our players are getting recognition..the more media folks keep saying things like "UM is back", and the more we are just shoved down the nations throat (Pause)..it will be really hard for him not to want to be apart of that. Because lets face it, we all know LSU is a perennial 8-9 win team in that SEC conference esp under Brian Kelly. Our program and LSUs program is going in opposite directions. If he cant see that, then good bye and good riddance.

Advertisement
I agree I guess the hope is you want to see a program lose so maybe the head coach throws some assistants under the bus and fires them to put the blame elsewhere
CR is the key to this whole thing, he has a strangle hold on the kid. Somehow someway he needs to ***** this up and we need to up the NIL at the same time he does.

I know you're have been on this forever and it's mostly true but when all things are equal little things matter in high stakes sales. All things equal adding winning on top matters. You also want them to lose because it's year 3 for both coaches. If these guys don't improve on the field at this point there is less and less to sell and the product becomes less attractive. Believe me most of the sales I get in my business are based off trust and the relationship but there are a lot of factors that can cause variance outside of that.
I could see the sell and I agree thats a pitch we will use but CR can still sell I can get you there regardless. Unless the losing gets the staff fired like @JHallCanes said. Then thats 100% different and its open season, thing is I dont think they fire him.

I dont know if any of you saw "The Money Game" on Prime..but its basically free marketing for LSU athletics. Very impressive doc showcasing how LSU helps kids get NIL and the athletics dept in general.

I say all that to say..this is going to be extremely tough to flip this kid. I dont know. There is something just different about this one as opposed to JSmith. We know JSmith would have really given us a legit shot if we had any sense of a QB. No real infatuation with OSU. DJ just seems to be all in on LSU and Raymond.

Now..the more we win..the more we are in the media..the more we are on TV..the more we are relevant..the more our players are getting recognition..the more media folks keep saying things like "UM is back", and the more we are just shoved down the nations throat (Pause)..it will be really hard for him not to want to be apart of that. Because lets face it, we all know LSU is a perennial 8-9 win team in that SEC conference esp under Brian Kelly. Our program and LSUs program is going in opposite directions. If he cant see that, then good bye and good riddance.
This part can definitely brain wash a kid

Advertisement
You guys may be right. I'm just seeing a familiar pattern. And I know he's light in the pants now. But if his Pickett genes kick in, he's going to get bigger. If Bissainthe can go from 180 to 230, this kid has the frame to do that too. ... You know, it's not an insult to say he could be starting NFL caliber LB.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings by that. I was just trying to avoid a ****ing contest over whether Mario was a good or bad choice for HC in every off season thread. I thought we could get beyond that now that we're both celebrating the team's rise to prominence after 2 decades of failure ... and yes, 2 years of multiple Mario missteps.
He’s nothing like those two who should have added weight and played linebacker. Sometimes the players is right ( Portis ) most times they aren’t. Taylor Mays Ray Ray and the list goes on. Pickett may be a safety, but he’s a dynamic playmaker at 6-4. He absolutely has the skills to play corner. He’s far more athletic then other 6-4 wanna be corners

In 4 games he has 166 receiving yards, 1 TD. On defense he has 2 INT’s in 4 games. Not exactly lighting the world on fire. His team is 2-2.

Also I don’t understand why this has to be explained every recruiting cycle. “Well I hope LSU loses and let’s see what he thinks about them afterward”. Like bruh we just went 5-7 two years ago and cleaned up.

Every **** year man smh

I'm pretty close to where you are on viewpoint. It's not the actual losses, it's what the recruit thinks about the direction of the program. Losses can be forgiven if the coach is accumulating talent and things are trending upwards. But Florida does not fit that, for Florida, the losses are just the evidence that Slingblade Billy will soon be fired.

Harder to figure out what the deal is with Kelly and LSU. Something is going wrong, but not "fireable wrong". And it doesn't look like LSU will scapegoat Corey Raymond like Florida did.

Advertisement
I'm pretty close to where you are on viewpoint. It's not the actual losses, it's what the recruit thinks about the direction of the program. Losses can be forgiven if the coach is accumulating talent and things are trending upwards. But Florida does not fit that, for Florida, the losses are just the evidence that Slingblade Billy will soon be fired.

Harder to figure out what the deal is with Kelly and LSU. Something is going wrong, but not "fireable wrong". And it doesn't look like LSU will scapegoat Corey Raymond like Florida did.
Agreed and the one thing I’m interested to see is Mario being able to sell the tangible vision now

Before it was just a plan. We keep winning and he has proof of that plan

I wouldn’t bet against that guy if it happens

The closer NSD gets the more he’ll realize Baton Rouge is a long ways from his family. Like you said he can get everything he needs here and family included. We need to just hold up our end on the field.
Maybe the recruitment pitch is to get his extended family down to our games to watch Booker while he's at LSU so he can feel left out 🤣

Advertisement

That first paragraph can be used to negative recruit for sure. But NIL and bags and relationships win out. But it can have some sort of effect with other schools saying yo he’s getting fired they won’t be there. Then yea that is a special circumstance for a kid to keep his options open.

View attachment 303769

From 247..I don’t think brian kelly matters much in this recruitment, this kid and his dad seem to be locked in with raymond

Keep chopping wood and winning, we have the home and family factor, they have the track record factor with raymond. Im sure both bags are crazy
Raymond ain’t done **** in years mane. Ain’t no way DJ ain’t talking to his cousin. Look at OJ…. Family ties

Advertisement
Back