Did Randy Shannon help TCU land JuJuan Story?

If randy is getting final say on the defensive recruits that go to TCU then i feel bad for TCU (we all know that's not how it works though)
TCU doesn't really need the recruits from So Florida, that's just a bonus from the TCU LB coach. TCU has a Top 5 defense every year and a great defensive coach in Patterson. They basically recruit Texas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma.

Advertisement
To be honest Cain fit the linebacker type that Randy wanted and actually played his best game starting as freshman in place of Cmac who missed a game. Williams wasnt asked to leave, he left on his own discretion. Cornelius showed promise under Shannon but was asked to be moved to safety by Golden and Gaines started but he was out of position. He's was too raw for the middle and performed better on the outside. Kelvin Nelson was probably the only flop out of the crew. We also have to realize that Golden wanted more size at the position, which is why Cornelius was at Safety and most of the young recruits hover around 215-220 coming in...

Anyway, like him or not he was a good recruiter. He didnt suck at everything now... I mean for a 1st time HC with he average 7 wins a year at a major program.

I don't agree at all that Randy was a good recruiter. Good recruiters don't just settle or leave positions bare. He was a good LB corch and decent DC but he was terrible as a HC.

now we got Shannon apologists trying to sell us that the 2010 LB class was good. Unreal the lengths these guys go to defend him as a coach.
Earth to Randy apologists, the man did not recruit well.. Look at his QB's. If it wasn't for Whipple going after Morris, we'd be majorly phucked right now.
Like Averaging 7 games at Miami is something to proud of. Laudy daudy you trippin.

now we got Shannon apologists trying to sell us that the 2010 LB class was good. Unreal the lengths these guys go to defend him as a coach.
Earth to Randy apologists, the man did not recruit well.. Look at his QB's. If it wasn't for Whipple going after Morris, we'd be majorly phucked right now.
Like Averaging 7 games at Miami is something to proud of. Laudy daudy you trippin.

Naw, I'm just being realistic... While you continue to over-exaggerate... The 2010 linebackers showed potential... He wasn't a bad recruiter... I didnt say 7 wins was accpetable at all, but tis still average... He was a first time HC what did you expect? He was an average coach... Miami isnt the place for a first time HC and it was evident with Shannon results... That being siad, he wasnt horrible at everything... And just because you don't like Shannon you don't have to classify me as an apologists because I'm a bit rational. I mean give the man some credit. If Urban Meyer says he's a good recruiter, I'll take his word over some poster who lets his hate influence his analysis.

Monster. You heard it here first.

Randy will get you three fire recruits a year.

Randy left the cupboard bare at Miami twice. He'll pull some talent because he'll show the players he helped put in the pro's. It won't be because of his communication skills that's for sure.

When Golden took over LB was one of the least recruited positions on the roster. Randy was a LB?

Randy signed Travis Williams (was 1st team when he left and looked way better than Buchanon in that spring game), Tyrone Cornelius (will play plenty this year), Kelvin Cain (see Tyrone), Jimmy Gaines (plenty of PT if not starter), and ole boy Kevin Nelson who everyone thought was going to be the next beast LB at the time. That was 2010 class of LBs. Only Nelson got to campus and looked like he couldn't hang. The rest are pretty good.

You probably helped my argument rather then hurt it. Travis Williams was 1st team before he left? LOL! He's not even here and rumor has it he was a part of the smoking and joking crew that were all asked to leave. Great character kid for sure! Tyrone Cornelius was a good get. Kelvin Cain didn't even fit Randy's system and has been moved to new position in this new system. Jimmy Gaines was the starting MLB and is good but not great. Kevin Nelson isn't here. So 2 of the 5 LB's that Randy took aren't here and one of them is a DE? And why were 5 LB's taken in that 2010 class? Oh yeah, because corch failed to recruit the position in the prior recruiting classes.

Hitting on 5 LB's in one class is **** near impossible. That's why you want to only take 2 or 3 per class who are studs so the odds are in your favor. Randy failed at this and the LB depth on this roster when Golden took over was terrible.

Travis Williams tweeted when he left that he didn't want to do a punishment for something he wasn't part of (exact words slightly different). So yeah looks like he was going to be under silent 4 game suspension like Seantrel, Dye, Cornelius, Cain, Payne all were last year. But if he had taken the suspension he's a starter right now cause he was clearly the best SLB last spring. The kid could play. Cornelius fit perfectly for the old system - was seen as too small by the new group but is back at LB and talk has been he's probably starting in the nickel package. Cain started as a freshman and led the team in tackles - had people wanting to see more of him. Gaines in your words was good but not great. I just said the group was pretty good - didn't say they were great. Nelson was 20 and a freshman and the only one lost when I saw them practicing. 4 out of 5 being at least pretty good is something you can build on. And expectation is that they'd be starting ideally in their 3rd years and that's exactly who would be starting. Can't ask for too much more than that.

Shannon made plenty of mistakes but recruiting those guys isn't one of them.

Advertisement

people who don't have anti-Shannon blinders can see that group of LBs was a lot better than advertised once they arrived on campus. The only one who wasn't better than expected was the one who got the most hype.

Naw, I'm just being realistic... While you continue to over-exaggerate... The 2010 linebackers showed potential... He wasn't a bad recruiter... I didnt say 7 wins was accpetable at all, but tis still average... He was a first time HC what did you expect? He was an average coach... Miami isnt the place for a first time HC and it was evident with Shannon results... That being siad, he wasnt horrible at everything... And just because you don't like Shannon you don't have to classify me as an apologists because I'm a bit rational. I mean give the man some credit. If Urban Meyer says he's a good recruiter, I'll take his word over some poster who lets his hate influence his analysis.

An average of 7 wins and 7 wins in your 4th year at Miami is bad not average.

And yes Shannon was not a good recruiter/evaluator as a HC. A good recruiter doesn't leave that roster behind him. You don't have McGee, Chambers (converted RB), Rodgers (now a S) and Payne as your only returning CBs. Zook is an example of a good recruiter who wasn't ready to be a HC (at Florida).

Shammin was the worst POS garbage coach here since the 1970's. You are what your record says you are and his record says he's the worst coach in 4 decades at Miami. Botch's freaking probation teams were better. Corker's garbage 2004-2006 teams, without Botch's best players, were better.

Advertisement
Here's the things I remember most about Randy's recruiting:

1) He was lazy and disorganized.
2) He was WAY too stringent with the ridiculous size requirements.
3) He was at the helm for a 4 year period, when more South Florida talent left the state, then at ANY other time, other then the probation period.
4) See points 1-3. Read slowly. Then, let it all sink in. If you still think Randy's a good/great recruiter, I have an excellent piece of property to sell you, at 27-23 Entitlement Drive, located between Get a freakin clue boulevard and they're flyin' around out there lane.

Last edited:
He'll do fine as a position coach. But he will probley not see another job as a head coach.

He'll do fine as a position coach. But he will probley not see another job as a head coach.

yeah he'll have to go non BCS route for sure if he wants to become a head coach again. that's the route that he needed to go in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Randy is a monster recruiter when he only has to select a few players. He closes the deal.

Monster. You heard it here first.

Randy will get you three fire recruits a year.

Yeah man, he'll go into the home of Eric Houst-- wait, wut?

Randy when he was a coordinator and position coach and was doing more of the ground work on the recruiting front had his fair share of misses of guys he went all in on and swung and whiffed badly.

He will also be dealing with an entire new recruiting landscape in Texas.

showing potential LOL. Is that what constitutes great recruiting now? Showing potential? C'mon you better than this.

And averaging 7 wins at a place like Miami is utter failure.

Lastly, no coach will call any other coach a Bad Recruiter or Bad Coach publicly. Now if Urban told you that in private over some beers than I'll take his words over anyones. But since we know that didn't happen it holds no weight in this discussion.
we have live proof that Shannon's recruiting sucked. Until he gets hired as a HC again and can prove differently you're just going to live with it and move on.

Uh, only thing I'll say is averaging 7 wins a year in a non-probation period, should get you canned at a program like UM

Advertisement
Uh, only thing I'll say is averaging 7 wins a year in a non-probation period, should get you canned at a program like UM

THIS.....RS is a cane and always will be, but my god.....what a bad choice for the head coach at UM w/ NO head coaching exp.....terrible hire.

Randy may be a good recruiter as an assistant in the sense he can lock onto a few kids and convine them. Maybe.

He sucks as an evaluator and planner when it comes to recruiting. His recruiting as a HC left big roster holes, and was lazy and underwhleming other than the over-hyped '08 class.

Time will tell. I think RS will be a good DC for TCU. He will have his specialty, and that is the defense. I know he wasnt a good HC for us and was a terrible communicator. But he did some positive things for Miami as he worked his way up. His focus will be on defense, not the big picture. Lets face it fellas, Randy aint the first guy to be a solid DC and flop as a HC.

And Randy has proven he can coach talented players on D, so like I said I think he will be a good fiat TCU.

Advertisement
Back