DB Amari Wallace talks his game, the staff and his recruiting pitch for Miami

View as article
Compound fracture in the leg and you're never going to be the same player again. Period.

I'm aware of the repercussions and image it sends but you can't take the kid on a scholarship. Let them know it repercussions for the HC stupidity running a scrimmage before camp starts.

Take Lewis Cine for example. Most recent comparison in the NFL that I can remember. 1st round pick of the Vikings, stud at Georgia, ran a 4.37 at the combine and was like 99th percentile in the broad jump... compound fracture in London in October 2022. Made 1 tackle in all of 2023 and now going into his 3rd year he likely won't even be making the 53 man. Never will be the same guy. Wallace isn't near that caliber of athlete to begin with.
Does the new scholly limit change your thinking on this?

Advertisement
Honor it. The amount of good press is more beneficial than one loss scholarship especially when NCAA just increased the scholarships now. College football is a big business and big businesses do charity work all the time for good press.

View attachment 296199Maybe this will at least help to understand what a pilon fracture is.
Pilon is a tibial plafond fracture. Articular surface of the distal tibia where it articulates with the talus (ankle joint). Its from an axial force. Its often traumatic and can be open. Usually swells up within hours and temporary fixation is needed with external fixation (pin and bars). Almost always leads to early arthritis and can lead to persistent pain and CRPS.
Im an orthopedic surgeon

Advertisement
Pilon is a tibial plafond fracture. Articular surface of the distal tibia where it articulates with the talus (ankle joint). Its from an axial force. Its often traumatic and can be open. Usually swells up within hours and temporary fixation is needed with external fixation (pin and bars). Almost always leads to early arthritis and can lead to persistent pain and CRPS.
Im an orthopedic surgeon
Thanks! Much appreciated. I don’t think it’s been confirmed Wallace has this injury but if he does, he’s obviously got a long road to recovery.

Im an orthopedic surgeon
step brothers dale GIF

Im an orthopedic surgeon
Have you ever seen or heard of a pilon fracture caused by football?

Bones heal.His recovery will depend on how bad he tore the ligaments and muscles around the area….if he didn’t tear ligaments and/or muscles he may to recover in a year but they will have to provably put rods or at least pins/staples to help the bones heal so I’m not sure what will happen after the leg heals….🙏🙏🙏 for a speedy recovery but more so 🙏🙏🙏 that it won’t hamper his life going forward…

Advertisement
No, would be rare. But not impossible any axial compression can cause it. I am not saying this is a pilon. I have no clue I just hate hearing the term compound fracture people you use that term usually are clueless of the injury sustained. More likely would be a tibial shaft or femoral shaft from either a direct blow and most likely transverse or commjnuted if high enough energy. Or a twisting mechanism would be a spiral. A lot of times these open fractures are from outside in and not comtaminated with debris. Either way the most important thing is early administration of antibiotics and tetanus. If I had to guess he probably got an intramedullary nail and can weight bear on it immediately. 72 hrs of IV antibiotics will suffice for the fracture being open. But again dont know anything of the injury and this is all educated guess

No, would be rare. But not impossible any axial compression can cause it. I am not saying this is a pilon. I have no clue I just hate hearing the term compound fracture people you use that term usually are clueless of the injury sustained. More likely would be a tibial shaft or femoral shaft from either a direct blow and most likely transverse or commjnuted if high enough energy. Or a twisting mechanism would be a spiral. A lot of times these open fractures are from outside in and not comtaminated with debris. Either way the most important thing is early administration of antibiotics and tetanus. If I had to guess he probably got an intramedullary nail and can weight bear on it immediately. 72 hrs of IV antibiotics will suffice for the fracture being open. But again dont know anything of the injury and this is all educated guess
No one knows anything about the injury. But since someone came on here and said that they “heard it was a pilon fracture” I had to come in here and talk about how highly unlikely that is if indeed it was a football related injury.

I literally asked several colleagues if they’ve seen a pilon fracture from either football or soccer. Nobody responded yes.

Advertisement
Man this **** happened to Lewis Cine who was a straight savage and now I don’t even know if he’ll have an NFL future. And Cine was a freak athlete.

Advertisement
Read on another site they had him in a "cast" above his knee. This would most likely rule out an ankle/pilon/distal tibia injury. You always want to immobilize a joint above. So most likely tibial shaft. If in a "cast", could be a splint. If he underwent surgery probably a intramedullary nail. And splint/cast for a week or two to protect the fixation (not the norm). Either way bone heals in 8 weeks without any complications

Advertisement
Back