Cyrus Moss position

Advertisement
Question: what do you think is "wrong" with Flagg's play?

Physical? Mental?
He doesn't use leverage to attack LOS. Undersized Linebackers have to be tactical if they aren't athletic. Having a porous DL due to scheme, personnel or whatever else exaggerates poor LB play. Idk what keys Mandy thought he was teaching but I saw alot of false steps and he didn't use his hands well. His physical limitations are evident but being obsorbed by lineman can be corrected. Also appears to carry bad weight.

I'll add we all pile on him but I do think he is salvageable with good coaching. I'm hoping(praying) Manny was the bigger issue because reinforcements haven't arrived lmao.

He doesn't use leverage to attack LOS. Undersized Linebackers have to be tactical if they aren't athletic. Having a porous DL due to scheme, personnel or whatever else exaggerates poor LB play. Idk what keys Mandy thought he was teaching but I saw alot of false steps and he didn't use his hands well. His physical limitations are evident but being obsorbed by lineman can be corrected. Also appears to carry bad weight.

I'll add we all pile on him but I do think he is salvageable with good coaching. I'm hoping(praying) Manny was the bigger issue because reinforcements haven't arrived lmao.
Man i got headaches trying to figure out what keys our LB were reading

I'd be very surprised if he were used as an OLB in a 4-3. He's almost certainly an EDGE. Different body type than Rousseau. Not sure if we've had a player like him around here for a bit.

Let the kid stand up and rush. When he has enough weight on him, he can put his hand down. Till then, blitz packages and flats in exotic looks.
This! I certainly understand the off the ball talk but in a 4-3 its tough to do that with a kid like Moss. If we were running a 3-4 scheme then it would be an entirely different conversation. Be that as it may, I always say think players not positions so no matter what type of front we run it is incumbent on the DC to integrate the available talent to the best of his ability. This is where having two knowledgeable and experienced coaches like Steele and Strong will pay huge dividends. These two have seen it all and will devise ways to get the best talent on the field.

Advertisement
Did you watch the whole video? He set the edge multiple times. I was impressed with his technique there. Did a great job of staying square, maintaining leverage, and keeping his outside arm free while squeezing down.

I agree with your assessment about his pass rush, he’s extremely raw there and has zero tools outside of his quickness.
I actually stopped about a minute short, so if I missed something that’s my bad. I’ll watch the end of the clip today.

Why does he have to put his hand in the ground. Let him stand up even if it’s at DE. I’m sure we will run off man fronts and games under Steele and whoever comes after him
Exactly, Jaelan Phillips does it for Miami and he stood up and was successful many times in college.

Advertisement
Back