Cyrus Moss position

Should we be talking about Moss more as an Anthony Barr-style OLB? He looked pretty slight at the Polynesian All-Star game.

Moss started his career as a DB and looks comfortable off the ball. Verified 4.6 forty and 4.2 shuffle. Even as a pass rusher, he does better from distance where he can use his change-of-direction and speed. And for a verified 6'6, he does a nice job taking on blocks in space.

His length and speed is too valuable to keep off the field, but his first season should be reserved to special teams and pass rush units. Until he fills out and becomes a monster in Year 2...

Advertisement
I feel like he's something like Dante Fowler, line him up at OLB, DE, use him anywhere you get his skill set and talent on the field. I know he's not built like Lorenzo Alexander is, but Buffalo used him appropriately, OLB on run downs/situations, DE on pass downs/situations.

giphy.gif

The film says he is a 1-trick pony. Lines up way outside the OT’s shoulder, used his length and bend as an outside speed rusher.

I don’t see many tools in his bag (no spin/swim move, nothing with his hands, etc). Is a total project at this level, IMO. Would be very surprised if he doesn’t redshirt.

I don’t see anything close to a 3-down player. Didn’t see him set the edge even one time in that film. Didn’t see him put his hand in the dirt. Can he explode out of a 3 point stance and use leverage vs a P5 tackle?

This is a situational pass rusher, at best. At worst, a bust candidate.

Can he be developed? I guess. But this kid is a project that is going to take time. Gonna take a lot of reps hitting the sled. Personally, I don’t get the hype. JMO, hope he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The height and fact he played safety reminds me of Rousseau. I don't know if he has that frame, to put on the kind of weight Rousseau did. He might be more like Floyd, who played at UGA and is on the Rams now.

Do NOT move this kid off the ball and play him at linebacker. The one thing he does freakishly well is get around the tackle on the pass rush. He’s too light to be an every down end so he’ll have to be part of a third down package at first. Once he can get into that 245-250 range, he’ll be an every down end.

I like his athleticism but i don't think that he sees the field in 2022. Not enough moves, not heavy enough and too many people in front of him who should be better. I think we start getting good production from him next year.

I glad we got him.

Advertisement
Kid play the run and on the line of scrimmage well to not have played the position for very long. He was 6’6 215 entering Miami, he’s going be at least 245 by fall practice: he’s fine at de

Advertisement
The film says he is a 1-trick pony. Lines up way outside the OT’s shoulder, used his length and bend as an outside speed rusher.

I don’t see many tools in his bag (no spin/swim move, nothing with his hands, etc). Is a total project at this level, IMO. Would be very surprised if he doesn’t redshirt.

I don’t see anything close to a 3-down player. Didn’t see him set the edge even one time in that film. Didn’t see him put his hand in the dirt. Can he explode out of a 3 point stance and use leverage vs a P5 tackle?

This is a situational pass rusher, at best. At worst, a bust candidate.

Can he be developed? I guess. But this kid is a project that is going to take time. Gonna take a lot of reps hitting the sled. Personally, I don’t get the hype. JMO, hope he proves me wrong.
Did you watch the whole video? He set the edge multiple times. I was impressed with his technique there. Did a great job of staying square, maintaining leverage, and keeping his outside arm free while squeezing down.

I agree with your assessment about his pass rush, he’s extremely raw there and has zero tools outside of his quickness.

Advertisement
I think folks are trying to rush him on the field because of how pathetic we are talent wise at DE right now. If we had a solid 3-4 man rotation, most on here would be saying to let him sit and learn and add weight for a year. But we dont have that luxury unfortunately. So this kid will probably be rushed onto the field.

LOL @ anyone saying he should RS..Would be interested to hear who they have as our 4 man rotation right now at DE? Especially now that NKelly is out all Spring and will be behind going into the Fall.

The kid will put on weight. I don't expect anything from him as a TF, but if Patridge ends up being his coach, who knows. Put some weight on him and that guy coaching him, we might get some situational play out of him. I am really high on him and Kelly.

That guy FSU had a couple years ago was a speed rusher at 220 pounds at best. U can use him in long passing situations until his body fills out. U don't wanna force these kids on the field and destroy their development with injuries and such.

Advertisement
Back