Cristobal / Kelly

I don't get this narrative. We were like 20th in returning production. We went backwards. It is what it is. Reasons could be in thousands. Kids went from a players coach to disciplinarian coach, I'm sure that caused plenty of issues.
It did, and understandably turned into a mess. And out of that mess you have your true leaders and guys who are all in stepping up.

As far as production goes. You lost your two most productive pass catchers, a tight end who was underutilized, half your offensive line as the season has progressed, your QB1 for chunks, and your only game breaking type back. Lots of production gone on it’s face alone.

Advertisement
It did, and understandably turned into a mess. And out of that mess you have your true leaders and guys who are all in stepping up.

As far as production goes. You lost your two most productive pass catchers, a tight end who was underutilized, half your offensive line as the season has progressed, your QB1 for chunks, and your only game breaking type back. Lots of production gone on it’s face alone.
Just saying what the stats showed. Rambo wasn't some superstar and the fact we couldn't replace him is well.......We got hit with the perfect storm. Embarrassing loss, injuries piling up, etc. Regardless, this offense went backwards, dramatically. That is on Mario.

Just saying what the stats showed. Rambo wasn't some superstar and the fact we couldn't replace him is well.......We got hit with the perfect storm. Embarrassing loss, injuries piling up, etc. Regardless, this offense went backwards, dramatically. That is on Mario.
Perfect s*** storm. Ultimately Rambo was a 1,000+ yard guy and as reliable as we’ve had in a long time. Him and Harley were close to if not above 2,000 yards combined. That’s a lot of productivity.

Amazing how people will use whatever to fit their own narratives. This is a non issue on both sides. Nothing to pat Mario on the back about or trash him.

I was at the game, saw something I liked.

At the very end when we were trying to keep them out of the end zone, there was that 4th down play where we stopped them but Kelly got flagged for a hit on the QB I think. Gave GT a first down.

Few plays later GT scored. I happened to look at the sideline and Cristobal immediately turned toward the sideline, pointed right at Kelly and said (something like) “that’s on you.”

I can dig it. Don’t care the score. Things are either acceptable or they’re not.

I appreciated it. Set the standard, no exceptions. No deviations.

Should pay off over time.

Ignore the whiny smart-asses on this thread as your point is valid.

Even the way Miami was playing on that red zone defensive possession, there was fire and these kids were trying super hard to get that defensive stand and to keep them out of the end zone for the cheap score.

Mario is teaching these kids accountability, consequences for actions and how to come together as a team.

Blah, blah, blah—"He needs to take accountability himself"—as if he doesn't. As if he's all right with losing or how this season has gone.

Dude is working tirelessly to fix a 20-year problem, while yahoos on this board keep taking digs at him because he hasn't fixed a two-decade long mess in one season.

Advertisement
This is the kind of crap that I part ways w/ Mario. Yes, Kelly made a boneheaded play that ended up costing us a (meaningless) TD. Why not pull him aside and coach him up one-on-one instead? Or rip him a new one in the film room or at practice? Make him run till he pukes? The relentless browbeating of the players is ridiculous. At some point you have to build them up too.
Quit watching this alpha male sport

This is the kind of crap that I part ways w/ Mario. Yes, Kelly made a boneheaded play that ended up costing us a (meaningless) TD. Why not pull him aside and coach him up one-on-one instead? Or rip him a new one in the film room or at practice? Make him run till he pukes? The relentless browbeating of the players is ridiculous. At some point you have to build them up too.
I got chewed out by my dad for being responsible for a goal by the opponent because of a bad throw in in soccer. I threw it too high and the other kid shot and scored. He pointed directly at me and went "This goal was your fault! Only your fault!".

I was nine. And I could handle it. If you can't handle being chewed out in public during a game, you may wanna do something else with your free time.

Yes, most have disagreed which is fine by me. I don't base my opinions on popularity but rather what I see and think.

Football is a passionate game no doubt. In this era, though, most successful coaches in sports (high level as you say) aren't the kind to yell at their players over and over or dress them down publicly. Sure, there's Saban who can get away w/ it due to his rep for producing winners and developing players into NFL millionaires. That way of doing things is being replaced by the likes of a Heupel or McDaniels who rather build their players up and mold them into confident performers who buy in.

My $0.02
Funny that those bringing up Saban totally ignore that Saban will snap on his coaches on the sideline also. Anyone that watches a Bama game has seen him do it. At least he's holding EVERYONE accountable. Meanwhile, we have the worst offense that I can remember with a ****** *** OC that publicly throws players under the bus and Mario is quiet as a mouse. How about on one of those ****** *** playcalls he turns to Gattis and says, "Why dude?!"

As I said the other day, some of those players have to be saying, "don't go being Sgt. Hulka to me but then Stevie Wonder to Gattis' ***."

Advertisement
I got chewed out by my dad for being responsible for a goal by the opponent because of a bad throw in in soccer. I threw it too high and the other kid shot and scored. He pointed directly at me and went "This goal was your fault! Only your fault!".

I was nine. And I could handle it. If you can't handle being chewed out in public during a game, you may wanna do something else with your free time.

And if you're posting on here that means it was probably a long time ago. My butt got chewed out and even actually kicked. Facemask was yanked like I was bobblehead doll. Jersey was pulled on. Our team paddled players for walking on the carpet in our cleats in the locker room. Etc. None of it phased me or made me hate the coaches or the sport.

The point I keep making that keeps getting ignored is that these are different times. Successful coaches are moving away from that way of doing things.

I find it ironic that there are so many comments and memes about Mario being a cave man/Miami bro when it comes to a lot of his coaching, yet he's on point for doing the same type of things that he experienced thirty plus years ago discipline wise. No evolvement there either apparently but it's okay b/c most of us can relate to having similar experiences in our playing days I guess.

And if you're posting on here that means it was probably a long time ago. My butt got chewed out and even actually kicked. Facemask was yanked like I was bobblehead doll. Jersey was pulled on. Our team paddled players for walking on the carpet in our cleats in the locker room. Etc. None of it phased me or made me hate the coaches or the sport.

The point I keep making that keeps getting ignored is that these are different times. Successful coaches are moving away from that way of doing things.

I find it ironic that there are so many comments and memes about Mario being a cave man/Miami bro when it comes to a lot of his coaching, yet he's on point for doing the same type of things that he experienced thirty plus years ago discipline wise. No evolvement there either apparently but it's okay b/c most of us can relate to having similar experiences in our playing days I guess.
There are so many programs where the coaches are chewing out their players for making a mistake and they are still succeeding at football.

The buddy buddy way of Diaz didn't work. Discipline is not a bad thing. Play so that your coach won't yell at you if you hate it.

You should have Stone Cold Stunned him.....

Advertisement
There are so many programs where the coaches are chewing out their players for making a mistake and they are still succeeding at football.

The buddy buddy way of Diaz didn't work. Discipline is not a bad thing. Play so that your coach won't yell at you if you hate it.

That's not what I've been saying at all. Buddy buddy isn't what I'm suggesting if you read my posts in this thread. What I'm saying is go ahead and deal w/ mental errors at practice and in the film room. Dish out the consequences there. During the game, coach up/teach the player.

That's not what I've been saying at all. Buddy buddy isn't what I'm suggesting if you read my posts in this thread. What I'm saying is go ahead and deal w/ mental errors at practice and in the film room. Dish out the consequences there. During the game, coach up/teach the player.
Theres not much to coach up on a RTP, its simply an unnecessary, stupid penalty. Kelly was late, like way too late and he knows it.

Theres not much to coach up on a RTP, its simply an unnecessary, stupid penalty. Kelly was late, like way too late and he knows it.

On it being an unnecessary and silly penalty we're in agreement. That Kelly knew he messed up badly as well. Every mistake is a coachable moment, imo.

Advertisement
Yes, most have disagreed which is fine by me. I don't base my opinions on popularity but rather what I see and think.

Football is a passionate game no doubt. In this era, though, most successful coaches in sports (high level as you say) aren't the kind to yell at their players over and over or dress them down publicly. Sure, there's Saban who can get away w/ it due to his rep for producing winners and developing players into NFL millionaires. That way of doing things is being replaced by the likes of a Heupel or McDaniels who rather build their players up and mold them into confident performers who buy in.

My $0.02

Heupel and McDaniels haven’t won ****

If a coach is yelling at your or getting on you it’s because he knows you can do it.

As a player you should be more worries when A coach isn’t getting on you or spending more time with others because that means he doesn’t think you have it.

Funny that those bringing up Saban totally ignore that Saban will snap on his coaches on the sideline also. Anyone that watches a Bama game has seen him do it. At least he's holding EVERYONE accountable. Meanwhile, we have the worst offense that I can remember with a ****** *** OC that publicly throws players under the bus and Mario is quiet as a mouse. How about on one of those ****** *** playcalls he turns to Gattis and says, "Why dude?!"

As I said the other day, some of those players have to be saying, "don't go being Sgt. Hulka to me but then Stevie Wonder to Gattis' ***."
You have zero clue what Mario says to his assistant coaches in private. You don’t even know what he has said to them over his headphone during a game. I doubt you’ve watched him an entire game on the sidelines because I’ve seen some animated discussions with coaches from time to time. But I’m not going to pretend like I know what he said. So your premise is just a wild guess.

Advertisement
Back