Cristobal / Kelly

I was at the game, saw something I liked.

At the very end when we were trying to keep them out of the end zone, there was that 4th down play where we stopped them but Kelly got flagged for a hit on the QB I think. Gave GT a first down.

Few plays later GT scored. I happened to look at the sideline and Cristobal immediately turned toward the sideline, pointed right at Kelly and said (something like) “that’s on you.”

I can dig it. Don’t care the score. Things are either acceptable or they’re not.

I appreciated it. Set the standard, no exceptions. No deviations.

Should pay off over time.
I thought the 99 yard TD in the first half was way worse than Kelly doing something stupid trying to make a play late in the game. Let them go 99 yards with a missed holding call, Jackson off sides, Flagg whiffed on a QB run, a unnecessary face mask. Could have been a shut out!!

Advertisement
Yep. No way it doesn't reflect anything else whatsoever. Gotcha.
Mario is a passionate guy. He wants his players to be passionate. That moment is a teaching moment. Letting the kid know it’s on him is not browbeating. Everyone on the thread has disagreed with your take, perhaps you’re just a sensitive dude. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want to play high level football of course.

Mario is a passionate guy. He wants his players to be passionate. That moment is a teaching moment. Letting the kid know it’s on him is not browbeating. Everyone on the thread has disagreed with your take, perhaps you’re just a sensitive dude. Nothing wrong with that, unless you want to play high level football of course.

Yes, most have disagreed which is fine by me. I don't base my opinions on popularity but rather what I see and think.

Football is a passionate game no doubt. In this era, though, most successful coaches in sports (high level as you say) aren't the kind to yell at their players over and over or dress them down publicly. Sure, there's Saban who can get away w/ it due to his rep for producing winners and developing players into NFL millionaires. That way of doing things is being replaced by the likes of a Heupel or McDaniels who rather build their players up and mold them into confident performers who buy in.

My $0.02

This is the kind of crap that I part ways w/ Mario. Yes, Kelly made a boneheaded play that ended up costing us a (meaningless) TD. Why not pull him aside and coach him up one-on-one instead? Or rip him a new one in the film room or at practice? Make him run till he pukes? The relentless browbeating of the players is ridiculous. At some point you have to build them up too.
Grow a pair

This is the kind of crap that I part ways w/ Mario. Yes, Kelly made a boneheaded play that ended up costing us a (meaningless) TD. Why not pull him aside and coach him up one-on-one instead? Or rip him a new one in the film room or at practice? Make him run till he pukes? The relentless browbeating of the players is ridiculous. At some point you have to build them up too.
You gotta pop the ****y out their mouth at some point. This is big time college football. If coach doesn't rip them, the media will anyway. The ONLY way to fix it is stop making dumb mistakes and play smart. Mario is getting these young men ready for the next level as well, and in the NFL, no one cares about their feelings. Too many mistakes will leave them unemployed plain and simple.

Advertisement
I thought the 99 yard TD in the first half was way worse than Kelly doing something stupid trying to make a play late in the game. Let them go 99 yards with a missed holding call, Jackson off sides, Flagg whiffed on a QB run, a unnecessary face mask. Could have been a shut out!!
It was Kelly with the wiff on the 3rd and 13 QB scramble.

You gotta pop the ****y out their mouth at some point. This is big time college football. If coach doesn't rip them, the media will anyway. The ONLY way to fix it is stop making dumb mistakes and play smart. Mario is getting these young men ready for the next level as well, and in the NFL, no one cares about their feelings. Too many mistakes will leave them unemployed plain and simple.

Don't disagree that you shouldn't swaddle them. Only saying that there are different ways to accomplish the goal of developing and getting them ready for the bigger picture.

This season has been a disaster top to bottom. But beyond the on field product…
the most alarming this for me is Mario not being the fired up Mario I’ve watched for years. We saw it one time early in year on the Kam pick against Bethune Cookman. Since he has had the deer in headlights Manny Diaz look on the sideline with little to no emotion or fire. He looks neutered.

I’m glad to hear about that interaction with Kelly. That has been missing from here for a long time.

Advertisement
All the Kelly talk, each player is different.

Some you've gotta handle calmly, but stern, and get your point across. Some you have to praise first and then let them know what they did wrong. Some you get better results yelling at them. The one thing you can't do all the time though is scream and yell. At least not today.

****, some players don't like verbal (just loud because you've gotta be, it's a loud environment) commands when they're on the field, that's one of my son's. I've been working on telling him I'm not yelling, or if I did when that was, but instructing. My other son, he vaires by his mood and you've gotta read it.

I don't know what Kelly responds to. Maybe he's one you yell at and then he goes and does it right the next time so you don't yell at him. That or he doesn't like seeing you yell, lose your ****, or whatever.

I simply don't know enough to form an opinion either way. I don't like coaches that just yell all the time.

Doesn’t justify what I have been saying. That it falls on coaching. Do u think the coches have maximized to the players strengths? Coaching staff as a whole has been atrocious. Not much improving through out the season. Because I said they showed us something Saturday doesn’t mean they have improved. Chill.

Advertisement
Great. He should look in the mirror after this abomination of a season and say, “that’s on you!”
As hard as we are on all things Canes it pales in comparison to what he expects. Like him or not, agree with his decisions or not, he has been and will be taking a hard look in the mirror. Don’t let the coach speak stuff fool you.

As hard as we are on all things Canes it pales in comparison to what he expects. Like him or not, agree with his decisions or not, he has been and will be taking a hard look in the mirror. Don’t let the coach speak stuff fool you.
The thing that makes me nervous about Mario is all the things you heard from Oregon fans came true. Dude on the Solid Verbal podcast, who’s a huge Oregon fan, called everything verbatim. Offense, QBs, injuries, blaming players, coach speak…
I chose to be positive and go with the Bama fans that I know that said he would be their first choice if Saban left.
The thing that worries me most about Mario is that he had plenty of time to choose staff and develop a plan to implement his over the top work ethic Into a soft team. So instead of incremental steps, he went in dry and ground the kids down to a nub. I mean, the injuries alone speak volumes and that was something Oregon fans talked about. Gone are the days of Max physicality in practice and now load management is the most important thing.
I don’t know man. I want to believe but this season has been nearly unwatchable and I won’t believe he makes a change until I see it with my own eyes.

Advertisement
Gotta love the lack of consideration given by those who have an issue with this. Maybe some should consider, regardless of talent, that a coach is confident enough in a young man that just turned 18 to get considerable playing time and be an impact guy. Something tells me that if you can handle that you can handle criticism when it’s spot on which it was.

I know there’s the never Mario crowd ever present and that’s their choice. But Mario knows his guys and knows what they respond and don’t respond to. Kelly’s a dog beyond his years. Some are motivated by fear, or more directly fear of failure and some by accolades. Quite possibly that’s what he responds to which would be my guess.

The thing that makes me nervous about Mario is all the things you heard from Oregon fans came true. Dude on the Solid Verbal podcast, who’s a huge Oregon fan, called everything verbatim. Offense, QBs, injuries, blaming players, coach speak…
I chose to be positive and go with the Bama fans that I know that said he would be their first choice if Saban left.
The thing that worries me most about Mario is that he had plenty of time to choose staff and develop a plan to implement his over the top work ethic Into a soft team. So instead of incremental steps, he went in dry and ground the kids down to a nub. I mean, the injuries alone speak volumes and that was something Oregon fans talked about. Gone are the days of Max physicality in practice and now load management is the most important thing.
I don’t know man. I want to believe but this season has been nearly unwatchable and I won’t believe he makes a change until I see it with my own eyes.
There's a narrative out there about Mario and injuries and then when injuries happen, as they did before and always will in a contact sport, it's further evidence. Meanwhile, nobody can ever give you a direct connection between injuries and practices or conditioning, but opposing coaches can use this narrative to try and steal recruits.

All valid points for consideration except listening to what the majority of their fans have to say. Take it or leave it, this team was nowhere close to the preseason hype. Mario said it himself with more coded language. Part of that was lack of depth and pure playmakers, but a big part was the mentality. Those issues were not going to be snuffed out in a matter of months. The pressure and difficulty of this season is starting to yield some diamonds as far as leadership and play. It’ll get better, much better

All valid points for consideration except listening to what the majority of their fans have to say. Take it or leave it, this team was nowhere close to the preseason hype. Mario said it himself with more coded language. Part of that was lack of depth and pure playmakers, but a big part was the mentality. Those issues were not going to be snuffed out in a matter of months. The pressure and difficulty of this season is starting to yield some diamonds as far as leadership and play. It’ll get better, much better
I don't get this narrative. We were like 20th in returning production. We went backwards. It is what it is. Reasons could be in thousands. Kids went from a players coach to disciplinarian coach, I'm sure that caused plenty of issues.

Advertisement
Back