Cristobal’s Success At Oregon

JD4

All-American
From an ESPN article about how Oregon hired Lanning to continue on the path that Mario blazed for them.

“Cristobal, whom Taggart had initially hired from Alabama as an assistant, took it to another level once he took over as head coach. Although Oregon had recruited decently under Bellotti, Kelly and Helfrich, the program's limitations -- being located in a state and region not flush with Power 5 talent -- showed up at times. Though ESPN began its recruiting class rankings in 2006, Oregon didn't post its first top-15 class until 2011, following a national runner-up appearance.

Despite a 46-7 record and three Pac-12 titles under Kelly, and a national runner-up appearance under Helfrich in 2014, Oregon recorded only one other top-15 class until Cristobal took over. Oregon signed the Pac-12's top-rated recruiting class from 2019 until 2021 (and the No. 6 class overall in 2019 and No. 8 in 2021), a span that included two Pac-12 titles and a Rose Bowl victory.

"Mario truly was the person who said, 'We're going to do this 365 days a year. Here's how we're going to do it. And these are the important pieces in building the infrastructure to allow us to attack in that way,'" Mullens said. "We made a significant shift when he was named head coach, and then we built on that each and every year to put in the structure that would allow us to create top-10, top-five recruiting classes."

That realization changed the perception of what kind of formula was needed to win big at Oregon. While Cristobal never won at the level Kelly did, his way of doing things was more sustainable.

"[Kelly] created something that nobody had ever seen before. That gave Oregon an advantage," Wrighster said. ‘Now you need less strategic advantages to win. You can line up and just grind people over. Once you get a taste of that, you can't go back.’”

Think about this — he did that **** at Oregon.

He’s already off to a better start here in Miami.

Feels like years of mostly suffering being a hurricane fan are paying off lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
My only problem with what he did at Oregon was when he went against a good Xs and Os team, he sometimes got handled by less talented teams. It's why I was concerned with who he'd hire here.

Now that he has hired most of his staff, I have zero worries. None. Not one at all. Now we have a head coach that lives and breathes putting a talented team together, coupled with what appears to be the most experienced staff we have ever seen here. I am 100% confident in this staff. I mean for the love of God, he got Charlie Strong as a LB coach. That's some Nick Saban stuff.

Every bit of scepticism should be gone, from everyone. What the **** is there not to love about this staff? Not only strong recruiters, but some of the best Xs and Os coaches we could get. That's going to be unfair moving forward for the Coastal, and possibly for the entire ACC.

Advertisement
Ever hear of the Lane Train CIS Crew?
The ones that preferred Lane to Mario two months ago because of his excellence on offense vs Mario who needed to hire excellent coordinators because he isn’t an in game wizard on either side of the ball?

Not sure what was so wrong with people thinking more than one coach could be good or having a preference.

Mario (and the massive change in commitment to football) have been pretty exciting since December. (And Mario gets credit for that commitment as well).

Not sure there is a current train of posters even thinking about Lane.

Figured I'd post this here

The focus of the article was the affect of SOFL recruiting on Baga because of the prior coaching experience of both Gaypier and Mario having been at Baga. But obviously, Mario being at the U will also affect the others - UGA, Clemp$on, Taint - as well.

The ones that preferred Lane to Mario two months ago because of his excellence on offense vs Mario who needed to hire excellent coordinators because he isn’t an in game wizard on either side of the ball?

Not sure what was so wrong with people thinking more than one coach could be good or having a preference.

Mario (and the massive change in commitment to football) have been pretty exciting since December. (And Mario gets credit for that commitment as well).

Im one of the ones.

But I can admit i like what he has done with his staff.

My concerns were what could he put together on staff. He has 2 guys on defense that I have pretty much liked for some time in Steele and Strong. Also has a guy that may be able to tap into the Samoan market on the lines. He also tabbed a young oc, and now paired him with an QB coach that has some experience there in Ponce.

My preference was Lane Kiffin. But i must say i have been impressed though it may have cost a recruit or two this class. I like his staff...i also know he would hit the ground running in recruiting because thats his specialty. But he also has a staff full of recruiters as well...it isnt really a hodge podge that we have seen where we had guys that simply couldnt recruit OR evaluate. Cant imagine it being bad having Charlie Strong AND Kevin Steele evaluating lbs...add to it...on the support staff a young Miami guy like Sabbath Joseph learning under them that may come in handy down the road.

On offense it seems to set up for if Gattis were to leave Ponce might be next man up. There is some flow to his staffing hires.

Advertisement
I didn't notice until now that Mario and Napier were on the Bama offensive staff at the same time. I wonder what their relationship was like? You would think the WR coach and OL coach would work really close together. Are they friends or had issues there? Their relationship could play into whether either side negatively recruits the other.

Lane is a sloppy character and doesn't have Mario's recruiting or organizational skills.

There's an infatuation with Lane's persona that supersedes his coaching ability.

Lane builds offenses but Mario builds programs.

We needed the latter.

Lane is a sloppy character and doesn't have Mario's recruiting or organizational skills.

There's an infatuation with Lane's persona that supersedes his coaching ability.

We needed the latter.
Mario - impeccable character.
Kiffen - not so much.

I wouldn’t have been mad if Kiffen was hired, but we now know what the original plan of attack was.

Advertisement

We needed the latter.
Very similar to @gogeta4, and his post above, I was in the Lane camp, but Mario is building and I think most people aren’t looking back.

Mario’s our guy. Let’s go!

Im one of the ones.

But I can admit i like what he has done with his staff.

My concerns were what could he put together on staff. He has 2 guys on defense that I have pretty much liked for some time in Steele and Strong. Also has a guy that may be able to tap into the Samoan market on the lines. He also tabbed a young oc, and now paired him with an QB coach that has some experience there in Ponce.

My preference was Lane Kiffin. But i must say i have been impressed though it may have cost a recruit or two this class. I like his staff...i also know he would hit the ground running in recruiting because thats his specialty. But he also has a staff full of recruiters as well...it isnt really a hodge podge that we have seen where we had guys that simply couldnt recruit OR evaluate. Cant imagine it being bad having Charlie Strong AND Kevin Steele evaluating lbs...add to it...on the support staff a young Miami guy like Sabbath Joseph learning under them that may come in handy down the road.

On offense it seems to set up for if Gattis were to leave Ponce might be next man up. There is some flow to his staffing hires.

Gogeta, get on board!!! C'mon!!!

Alright... lets win a game first... lol

We needed the latter.
This hasnt been seen as yet in my opinion.

This will kind of be a testament to program building to what we have now.

Gogeta, get on board!!! C'mon!!!

Alright... lets win a game first... lol

Oh I nudged over. I was always anti mario guy.

I pulled back on that and like what he is doing. He has maybe hired 4-5 guys that I have liked and this is going down to bringing in hs coaches like um alumni Roland Smith.
I know he will get our OL right...I was just hoping he would bring in some grey beard types or HC types on board to go with him...and he has done that with Charlie Strong and Steele.

Advertisement
Back