MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

"...This is all just to buy time for the next big reorg (the final reorg IMO). Big 12 deal ends in 2030, ACC is 2027 (maybe espn and ACC also find a deal that gets the conference to extend and also stay together through 2030). With players now getting salaries and collective bargaining, you can’t have 5 or 6 conferences all having their own separate deals with different player unions. It’s not practical. This pushes the merger into one super conference, fox and espn split it up like the NFL does (Fox has NFC , cbs has AFC)- so they figure out some combination like fox gets the traditional big 12 and pac 12, and B1G schools, espn gets traditional SEC and ACC games. Putting together the puzzle pieces- from what Flo said before, the UM brass thinks this is the end game in 5-6 years, and I think they are right. So their main goal right now isn’t to join the P2 and pay some exorbitant buyout, it’s to make as much money as possible for the next 5 years regardless of “conference football prestige” and then everything falls into place.

Also if everyone knows the super conference is inevitable, then it takes away the main argument that anything other than the P2 is a death sentence. No need to swim against the current if all cfb fans know the non P2 schools are all joining the P2 schools in the super conference in 5 years anyways."
Been saying this since porst #1.

You get it cat daddy.

Advertisement
If true, Thats a huge risk we are taking hoping everything ends up as a super conf in 5 years... it could completely sink our program.
Plus once payment of players becomes normal, we could see some schools who are barely breaking even, just plain drop football

I’m sure many will disagree but I don’t think it’s a particularly risky bet. IMO it’s inevitable. If you asked me 3 months ago, I’d say it could be 10-15 years to get there. But now with players getting paid (didn’t see that happening so soon), I just don’t see how the collective bargaining happens with 5 or 6 different conferences. I expect it to happen in 6 years or less. One player union makes a deal in a conference and then the others in different conferences want the same. If they don’t get it, they go on strike. If players go on strike, universities are absolutely f#cked because they can’t pay for all the non revenue sports required by Title IX.

I think UM doesn’t have to take table scraps now from the P2. If they offer full revenue, great. Take the deal. If they don’t, then wait for the inevitable merger. Absolute worse case scenario, the ACC deal ends in 2027 (again I don’t think espn will fight this because it will drag a lot of ugly stuff into the light) and we get to move conferences without the buyout penalty, and P2 competes for us for different reasons (sec to keep B1g out of Fl, B1G because fox wants Florida carriage fees).

My main takeaway here is there is a very likely path for the ACC to survive post FSU/Clemson. The ACC is going to do all it can to stick around and try to beat out B12 as the long term biggest non P2 conference. Totally see them trying to woo USF or UCF to replace FSU.

I think long term there’s probably 4-5 Big 12 schools the ACC would like to poach and there’s probably 3-4 ACC schools (Miami included) the Big 12 would like to poach. Whoever can do the poaching first will eventually win that battle.

Won’t happen anytime soon, but a joint merger by Big 12 and ACC to create a super league of their best teams would really kick things into motion for a top 60 super league of 3 conferences
Super league of their best teams. Where's Miami going then!

I’m sure many will disagree but I don’t think it’s a particularly risky bet. IMO it’s inevitable. If you asked me 3 months ago, I’d say it could be 10-15 years to get there. But now with players getting paid (didn’t see that happening so soon), I just don’t see how the collective bargaining happens with 5 or 6 different conferences. I expect it to happen in 6 years or less. One player union makes a deal in a conference and then the others in different conferences want the same. If they don’t get it, they go on strike. If players go on strike, universities are absolutely f#cked because they can’t pay for all the non revenue sports required by Title IX.

I think UM doesn’t have to take table scraps now from the P2. If they offer full revenue, great. Take the deal. If they don’t, then wait for the inevitable merger. Absolute worse case scenario, the ACC deal ends in 2027 (again I don’t think espn will fight this because it will drag a lot of ugly stuff into the light) and we get to move conferences without the buyout penalty, and P2 competes for us for different reasons (sec to keep B1g out of Fl, B1G because fox wants Florida carriage fees).
Hard to imagine a scenario where ESPN and Fox continue to pay $70mm/yr to the likes of Northwestern, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Iowa, Mich St, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mizzou, Rutgers, Maryland, et al.

Passionate "national fan bases" or not, NOBODY (given their current W vs L performances) gives a shizznizzle about those programs and those programs in bigger markets can be reached with other brands anyways.

Same for our beloved Canes if they don't get more relevant PDQ.

Next go round of contracts is going to be the brands people want to see at that time + the markets that can sustain them. For that reason, I'm not sure a Bama and Auburn can co-exist in a super conference, but maybe. Minnesota sure can't, and so on and so forth...

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is what the conference negotiations feel like
IMG_2738.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to imagine a scenario where ESPN and Fox continue to pay $70mm/yr to the likes of Northwestern, Minnesota, Vanderbilt, Illinois, Iowa, Mich St, Kentucky, Arkansas, Mizzou, Rutgers, Maryland, et al.

Passionate "national fan bases" or not, NOBODY (given their current W vs L performances) gives a shizznizzle about those programs and those programs in bigger markets can be reached with other brands anyways.

Same for our beloved Canes if they don't get more relevant PDQ.

Next go round of contracts is going to be the brands people want to see at that time + the markets that can sustain them. For that reason, I'm not sure a Bama and Auburn can co-exist in a super conference, but maybe. Minnesota sure can't, and so on and so forth...
I don't think it's whether or not ESPN and Fox continue to pay $70mm/yr to those schools. I think they just look at as we're paying $1B a year to the B1G or SEC with this set of teams. However, you guys want to split it is up to you. I think the bigger question is DO Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, Texas, etc. want to continue paying those other schools that share?

Then we'll see the knives come out like the PAC 12 last year. Every man for himself. We've played for the Little Oaken Cowturd against Indiana since the 19 aughts, but ***** that, the AD needs marble flooring.

The anti-trust lawsuits for those who get left out of the "super conference", the state and federal government involvement when a state school or multiple state schools are left out. It will be glorious.

Bill Hader Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

And to think if the conference "leaders" had worked together.... 🤣 🤣

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back