MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I like Power 3 but I am wondering if a power 4 would be better...8 bids for the playoffs, two from each conference...winner and an at large maybe? I do agree that the ACC is dead in the water, and they know it.

Advertisement
If we join the SEC, I think it will only be a matter of time before they pass a "Ruiz Rule". You are right that salary caps are a no go, but there are other ways we can get screwed. For example, the NIL deals have to be "fair market value." The conference leadership could constantly challenge Ruiz's NIL deals and say he is paying over FMV so the player won't be eligible, while giving the collectives a pass. They could say that a Lifewallet deal for 8 million for a 4 star QB is far above his FMV, but that a Tennessee collective deal for a 5 star QB in the amount of 10 mil accurately reflects his FMV. Even if they allow for an appeal and ultimately allow the Ruiz deals, they could still kneecap UM by dragging their feet and scaring recruits, who know that NIL deals from Miami supporters will be challenged.

Sec could also ***** UM by claiming a Ruiz deal is an "inducement" to attend UM and thus violates the NIL rules. Of course they will say the same deal for a player going to Bama wouldn't be an inducement because Bamas program is so attractive that recruits would play for Bama for free.

SEC wants UM to be good, but not so good it starts winning the conference consistently and knocking off the blue bloods.

As another poster said, the SEC will claim it is only trying to ensure that NIL deals are legitimate and they aren't intentionally screwed Miami. It's the fig leaf of legitimacy.
Ruiz would destroy ‘fair market value’ and ‘inducement’ in court.

If s#it really hits the fan I think the SEC is by FAR the better option.

1) money aside a big reason we miss out on kids in our recruiting area is to SEC teams and they state that they want to play in the SEC

2) the weather factor is MASSIVE. I went to the BC Miami game back in the Matt Ryan era and you could tell the kids on Miami were not 100% because of how cold it was, and I remember reading articles before the game how many players had never even seen snow before. In a B10 schedule in November we’ll be playing an entire month of freezing games that just don’t benefit us.

If we join the SEC, I think it will only be a matter of time before they pass a "Ruiz Rule". You are right that salary caps are a no go, but there are other ways we can get screwed. For example, the NIL deals have to be "fair market value." The conference leadership could constantly challenge Ruiz's NIL deals and say he is paying over FMV so the player won't be eligible, while giving the collectives a pass. They could say that a Lifewallet deal for 8 million for a 4 star QB is far above his FMV, but that a Tennessee collective deal for a 5 star QB in the amount of 10 mil accurately reflects his FMV. Even if they allow for an appeal and ultimately allow the Ruiz deals, they could still kneecap UM by dragging their feet and scaring recruits, who know that NIL deals from Miami supporters will be challenged.

Sec could also ***** UM by claiming a Ruiz deal is an "inducement" to attend UM and thus violates the NIL rules. Of course they will say the same deal for a player going to Bama wouldn't be an inducement because Bamas program is so attractive that recruits would play for Bama for free.

SEC wants UM to be good, but not so good it starts winning the conference consistently and knocking off the blue bloods.

As another poster said, the SEC will claim it is only trying to ensure that NIL deals are legitimate and they aren't intentionally screwed Miami. It's the fig leaf of legitimacy.
Yeah, I see your point. Let’s just stay in the ACC instead and make about 1/3 the money. Seems smart.

I was on my lunch break just now and was bored so I started working on some possible realignment scenarios. Once you start looking at the teams, I do not see how the ACC makes it out of this alive (which is well known). As well, Power 3 makes more sense than Power 4. At some point the Pac 10 and Big 12 are going to need to join up. I ran four possible scenarios. Obviously they are not perfect as I spent maybe 30 minutes, if that, on them. Teams highlighted in yellow are from G5

Scenario #1 "Power 5" - Conservative: Expansion stops due to high buyouts, ND holding things up etc.
View attachment 196222

Scenario #2 "Power 3" - Scenario I see most likely happening. Could easily sub Memphis and SMU for San Diego St and UNLV. I put in UNLV and San Diego St because they both are in attractive TV markets and play in new stadiums.
View attachment 196224

Scenario #3 "Power 4"
View attachment 196225

Scenario # 4 "Power 3 #2" - Notre Dame remains independent and schools in the same state are forced to move conferences together like Oregon and Oregon State which has been rumored as a possible hiccup.

View attachment 196228

You did all this on your lunch break ?
70a81cc393c45c88a5badc086de9315d.gif

Advertisement

Except that Miami has almost never been the highest bidder on any of our NIL deals so far. So we could easily show that FMV is above what we've paid. It's also dubious. Again, you are restricting someone's ability to earn. We wouldn't even have to sue, we can stay above the fray and let the player and/or the Ruiz' of the world sue. This would be a slam dunk in the courts. Which is why the SEC wouldn't try in the first place. They know how it will end, which would be disastrous for the conference, a true black eye.

You guys and your boogeymen, lol. At what point are you going to all really that the ONLY that matters in this new college football landscape is MONEY. That's it. Don't catch other feelings.

And if the SEC takes us in, they are going to want Miami to be successful and raise the bar because that's how we can be valuable to the conference. When Miami is good, we are a monster TV draw. And all CFB is these days is whatever the next TV contract says it is.

You guys and your boogeymen, lol. At what point are you going to all really that the ONLY that matters in this new college football landscape is MONEY. That's it. Don't catch other feelings.

And if the SEC takes us in, they are going to want Miami to be successful and raise the bar because that's how we can be valuable to the conference. When Miami is good, we are a monster TV draw. And all CFB is these days is whatever the next TV contract says it is.
Very true. I'm sure the ACC braintrust believes -- and I don't disagree - that Miami and FSU let the conference down big time. They had it set up for us and FSU to compete for the Conf Championship most every year. And, in 17 years, it NEVER happened. Not even once! Both schools failed to hold up their end!

Advertisement
With USC and UCLA, 15 of the 16 B1G members will be AAU accredited schools (Nebraska only one who is not). Seems important to them.

It was and it is right now, I don’t know if it will be as important if the expansions continue.

B1G and SEC will be the top dogs but if you don’t think they are racing against each other you’re wrong. USC and UCLA are clearly a response to the SEC adding OU and Texas.

They won’t stop anytime soon.

Year, I’m multi tasking,my bad. 2024 or 2025. It’ll be fast. Announcement should be prior to this season.
Thank the lord we have a competent administration to navigate us through these changing times. I would be seriously worried if Blake was still here.

Advertisement
I hear you. "Putting a salary cap on NIL" and "forcing teams to go underground with bags" (you are saying restricting NIL by default) are both violations of the constitution of the United States of America as last year's unanimous (my god) ruling by the SCOTUS affirmed. Which is why we have NIL now. They cut the NCAA's balls off. It's no different for conference leadership. You have a right to work in this free society of ours. They can't.
Yeah, they can’t restrict NIL. They can’t stop a business from making a sponsorship deal with someone - maybe a collective.

And while I think they’ll look at ways to even the field at our expense, we’re going to need to go there or the B1G and since the SEC seems to be the likely place - we just need to be careful and hope for the best.

Except that Miami has almost never been the highest bidder on any of our NIL deals so far. So we could easily show that FMV is above what we've paid. It's also dubious. Again, you are restricting someone's ability to earn. We wouldn't even have to sue, we can stay above the fray and let the player and/or the Ruiz' of the world sue. This would be a slam dunk in the courts. Which is why the SEC wouldn't try in the first place. They know how it will end, which would be disastrous for the conference, a true black eye.

I try not to lean too far into conspiracy theories, but is there a rational explanation for Miami opponents only getting flagged for holding 6 times in 2017? We had a DL with McIntosh, Norton, Thomas, and Jackson- all our opponents were just so good at OL play that they could shut down that pass rush?

Advertisement
I try not to lean too far into conspiracy theories, but is there a rational explanation for Miami opponents only getting flagged for holding 6 times in 2017? We had a DL with McIntosh, Norton, Thomas, and Jackson- all our opponents were just so good at OL play that they could shut down that pass rush?

I mean, it can't get WORSE!

:LOL:

Glad that you’re tired of it. If you don’t like me giving my opinion, please put me on ignore.

She was responsible for the hiring of Blake James, and supported and encouraged his tyrannical and horrible regime every step of the way. She neutered our athletics department, and took the check from that shytbag Nevin Shapiro all too quickly and happily. She was a big reason why all of our sports went to ****.

I know that you and a couple of the other guys on this board think that you’re the most intelligent human beings alive, and that you’re never wrong. But everything that woman touched while at the U went to ****.

The fact that UHealth is now making lots of money had zero to do with her, as she had already been gone for a good while.

She’s a **** stain in UM’s history.

Oh good lord what a dopey post.

She hired Blake James. Yep.

It is also well-documented that the oversized fake-fundraising check from Nevin Shapiro was a surprise move that Donna didn't expect.

And thanks for telling us that the UHealth system that Donna acquired "had zero to do with her". Shalala started cutting costs at UHealth in 2012, but please keep deluding us into a false story about the turnaround having "zero to do with her".

You want to hate her, that's on you. Just don't lie and say that she "sold Miami to the ACC".

It was and it is right now, I don’t know if it will be as important if the expansions continue.

B1G and SEC will be the top dogs but if you don’t think they are racing against each other you’re wrong. USC and UCLA are clearly a response to the SEC adding OU and Texas.

They won’t stop anytime soon.

Yeah, at a certain point the Big 10 might just have to change the name of the conference to "AAU".

Regarding attendance, if Miami was playing an SEC/BIG10 schedule attendance would be very different. The ACC is completely full of teams nobody cares about seeing (us included sometimes). Noon games every year against Duke, GT, Pitt, UVA, BC, Syracuse, Louisville don't draw anybody because nobody cares. We would have 2-3 guaranteed marquee matchups every single year, along with OOC games. I think when we make this move, along with everything else going on momentum wise, the stadium will be packed almost every Saturday.

Advertisement
Back