MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I do listen. And if you go back through his posts in this thread, for pretty much all of 2022 he was saying UM and Clemson were moving as a pair. I doubt that is the case now. Clemson isn't going to the B1G and I don't think UM is going to the SEC.

I'm not trying to pull receipts on him - I'm sure his info was good at the time. I believe Cribby when he says there were /are talks, but as far as I can tell he doesn't predict the future. No one here can say if we can get out of the GOR. FSU and Clemson both have nuclear options and can have their respective legislatures give them immunity from a lawsuit. As a private university, UM doesn't have that option. We're over a barrel right now.
Pretty sure the comments were that "Miami AD and Clemson AD are joined at the hip in developing an exit STRATEGY". That doesn't mean that they would necessarily go to the SAME conference. Same strategy to exit, one goes to B10 the other goes SEC. As far as "respective legislatures giving immunity" that has not worked in the past and attorneys have chimed in on THIS thread yesterday to confirm it is not a viable tactic / defense. A negotiated settlement figure needs to be arrived at.

Advertisement
Once the first school leaves, theyll set the bar for exit payments. Itll be cheaper for every school after that IMO, as they negotiate it down. "ACC media rights are worth less without FSU/Clemson/Miami. If they agreed to $300M, at this point im only paying $250"
Not happening like that. Negotiations will take time. Need to join forces and get the best figure possible. Joint effort of 8-10 programs. Dissolve the conference first ... then negotiate a GOR that will be much harder to enforce with no conference. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Not happening like that. Negotiations will take time. Need to join forces and get the best figure possible. Joint effort of 8-10 programs. Dissolve the conference first ... then negotiate a GOR that will be much harder to enforce with no conference. Desperate times call for desperate measures.
Are FSU fees and portion of media spread over the rest of the teams if they leave? If so that gives an extra ~30mill and staying the ACC is fine

Advertisement
10 days to get this done.

Let’s get it moving before we fall even further behind in the arms race. If we’ve been moving in silence, then we should be ready to bolt for 2024.

Ideally it's an 8 team dissolution of the ACC. Im just saying in the scenario where "one or two schools bolt first", the other schools immediately have an argument that whatever they owe, its less than the first ones

Advertisement
Advertisement
The most fascinating thing about all of this conference realignment stuff is how schools appear oblivious to the fact that it's a dash towards mediocrity.

As the conferences become larger, your odds of winning anything decreases. Sure, it's more money, but is it worth it?

Nobody but the diehards want to watch middle of the road teams. The best you can hope for is the occasional good year, but there's not going to be a lot of room at the top.

Personally I think it all sucks. I'd be in favor of going anywhere but those two if we could NIL the **** out of recruits. It'd basically be like the BigEast days once the movers moved. Beat up on whatever conference fielding winning teams regularly and we'll see you in the playoffs.

Money from these new deals is great and all, but what are we going to do with it? Pay even more for coaches? Facilities, there's not a lot of empty land on campus, so remodel ever half a decade? Facilities aren't going to win us anything. **** is all weird to me.

Are FSU fees and portion of media spread over the rest of the teams if they leave? If so that gives an extra ~30mill and staying the ACC is fine
$30 mil split between 14 teams = $2.25 mil per team ... nothing. 6 teams leave (FSU, Miami, Clemson, UNC, Va Tech, NCSt) = $180 mil = $22.5 mil for 8 remaining. Consolation prize until it runs out. And the ones that stay will still be playing crap games .... who wants to live on a diet of Wake / BC / Syracuse and Pitt? The ACCN would no longer be viable as it won't generate commercial revenue. They will LOSE SPONSORS. The conference will be dead and collapse. ESPN doesn't manufacture money ... games played by FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC are THE REVENUE DRIVERS. Lose those and the ACC Conference no longer has a viable programming inventory to SELL TO SPONSORS. The B10 last month added 40 new TV sponsors when they announced their latest contracts. With the expanded conference membership they now have MORE to sell / offer / program. If the six premier teams leave the ACC the conference is dead just like the Pac 12 collapsed ... in a matter of 72 hours.

I'm gonna point it out for the 20th time. This entire thing ends in unionization. Doesn't matter which side of the fence you sit on politically when it comes to unions. Its going to happen, so buckle up.

What's going to be interesting is watching schools deal with paying players when it comes to title IX. If title IX "requires ... all educational institutions to reward male and female athletes equally", how's that going to work out?? How many sports (men's and women's) are going to be cut to keep things as profitable as possible?

Advertisement
Take this for what it’s worth and of course keep your accurate take that there’s gonna be an FSU bias in this clip, but there is an interesting potential point to hear about the grant rates at about the six minute mark that might explain the thinking legally about why they might feel strong about there being an out for the grant of rights.

Two theories for them
- breach of contract- when Maryland left in the grant rate was extended appoint, was included that guaranteed member schools would stay competitive with their peers dollarwise in the other conferences, and it clearly is not happening
- fraud- it was never going to happen from inception

If accurate both are viable paths to going to court over in Florida (the acc was too stupid to include territory of lawsuit being in North Carolina for example so if fsu sues it would be in Florida - whether state or federal district - good luck acc with that jury pool unless it’s in Gainesville)

Last edited:
Personally I go to the UK often so being called a **** doesn’t bother me much 😎😂
Hey, you ****! How the **** are ya?

Season 9 Andy GIF by The Office

The most fascinating thing about all of this conference realignment stuff is how schools appear oblivious to the fact that it's a dash towards mediocrity.

As the conferences become larger, your odds of winning anything decreases. Sure, it's more money, but is it worth it?

Nobody but the diehards want to watch middle of the road teams. The best you can hope for is the occasional good year, but there's not going to be a lot of room at the top.

Personally I think it all sucks. I'd be in favor of going anywhere but those two if we could NIL the **** out of recruits. It'd basically be like the BigEast days once the movers moved. Beat up on whatever conference fielding winning teams regularly and we'll see you in the playoffs.

Money from these new deals is great and all, but what are we going to do with it? Pay even more for coaches? Facilities, there's not a lot of empty land on campus, so remodel ever half a decade? Facilities aren't going to win us anything. **** is all weird to me.
Not that weird. Pretty simple. Two major conferences with the most revenue and best media partners will dominate prime time coast to coast TV viewing. Those conferences will be THE DESTINATIONS for top quality players who want to compete with the best, get the most visibility, and prepare for their shot at the NFL. Most revenue ... highest quality players ... best NIL packages. It is even being speculated that at some point the P2 might break away from the NCAA as a 40 - 60 team conference with it's own rules and regulations (NIL cap, salary cap on staff etc) similar to NFC / AFC. Players would be employees of the universities. Not what we grew up with but media $$$ changed it all. No going back.

Advertisement
Back