MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Let’s be clear on one thing. No matter what bs you hear Miami was never a tag along to fsu “carrying” us to big10.

Not once.

Not ever.

Always an either/both scenario for B10

No matter what those not in the AAU idiots say on war chant or whatever site

Screenshot me all you want semenoles- I’m glad you’re coming with possibly but you can still blow me.

Advertisement
This is pure speculation on my part. I’m wondering if the conventional wisdom that ESPN was sitting in a great spot because of how bad the deal was for the ACC and a great win for ESPN might actually be countering another conventional wisdom- which is that if you were in a true partnership, if your other partners are now sick, because of whatever circumstances, including how you’re treating them, then whatever deal you have is not really going to benefit you to the degree thought.

Partnerships versus just I pay you for work then it’s done are ongoing and need to be sustainable no matter what the terms of the contract are.
ESPN, potentially by not trying how to adjust for the ACC versus taking advantage of a horrible deal, could wind up shooting themselves in the foot with the premier parties that they signed up for bolting
Excellent point. I just don't know if ESPN is in position to sweeten the ACC pot at this point. They seem to be cost cutting across the board and on the sales block.

Excellent point. I just don't know if ESPN is in position to sweeten the ACC pot at this point. They seem to be cost cutting across the board and on the sales block.
They aren’t. What they could do is negotiate an extension into B10 rights that they don’t have that moved their gor over to acc teams now in b10 and get most likely better games for the home acc transplants.

BUT one thing I don’t know is, and maybe others do but it isn’t necessarily just splitting hairs, is did espn sell/assign the actual GOR or do the get distribution rights of those GOR. It may matter on who ha standing and who are you doing legal he’ll with. It might not. Without seeing the full deal (and I’ve seen what’s been published as both the original gor and extension but not sure that’s fully all the info) it’s hard to know if it matters or not. I’ve done a lot of business dev on these things but I’m also not a full blown lawyer in the bottom of the ocean.

Last edited:
So, who holds the cards more? ESPN with SEC or B1G with the others??
They both have cards, but in my opinion, the Big Ten has more because they have three network partners, their own well-established, cable networks and fox sport. They have more time slots or advertisers ESPN. It’s not in business with the second biggest conference with the more national appeal which you could also stay in reverse, but fox and friends are not hanging out on speed corners, begging for spare change

Advertisement
So, who holds the cards more? ESPN with SEC or B1G with the others??

IMG_0508.jpeg

They aren’t. What they could do is negotiate an extension into B10 rights that they don’t have that moved their gor over to acc teams now in b10 and get most likely better games for the home acc transplants.

BUT one thing I don’t know is, and maybe others do but it isn’t necessarily just splitting hairs, is did espn sell/assign the actual GOR or do the get distribution rights of those GOR. It may matter on who ha standing and who are you doing legal he’ll with. It might not. Without seeing the full deal (and I’ve seen what’s been published as both the original gor and extension but not sure that’s fully all the info) it’s hard to know if it matters or not. I’ve done a lot of business dev on these things but I’m also not a full blown lawyer in the bottom of the ocean.

I have said this previously, we don't have the ESPN contract in front of us. However, Bubba Cunningham (UNC AD) recently said that the ACC had sold the rights to ESPN, and that seems to make sense if ESPN has the right to broadcast our home games BEYOND us simply giving notice and leaving the conference.

The point being...even though we have posted both the original GOR and the 1-page extension, it may not be the case that our rights are still with the ACC. If ESPN held us over a barrel and forced the ACC to re-sell our rights in order to launch the ****** IPP Network (Irish Potato Peeler), then the analysis shifts.

For both good and bad, as ESPN could could could work out a way to transfer our "ACC rights" over to "Big 10 rights", if they want to get back in bed with the Big 10.

They both have cards, but in my opinion, the Big Ten has more because they have three network partners, their own well-established, cable networks and fox sport. They have more time slots or advertisers ESPN. It’s not in business with the second biggest conference with the more national appeal which you could also stay in reverse, but fox and friends are not hanging out on speed corners, begging for spare change

Not to mention the sudden corporate uncertainty with ESPN, as in whether Disney wants to spin them off or find an equity partner.

Weird. I never expected this from Disney.

Advertisement
Winning conference championships will become less relevant once the playoffs expand and the super conferences begin. Unfortunately, this will apply to the regular season, too. I suspect we will be seeing 2 loss and 3 loss teams in playoffs in certain scenarios. The majority of the playoffs will be SEC and Big 10 programs.

Last edited:
Winning conference championships will become less relevant once the playoffs get bigger and super conferences begin. Unfortunately, this will apply to the regular season, too. I suspect we will be seeing 2 loss and 3 loss teams in playoffs in certain scenarios. The majority of the playoffs will be SEC and Big 10 programs.
It causes no issues in the nfl obviously. I’ll take competitive games and not striving for perfection with 4 bs gimmes

When Miami did it pre conf we took on all anyplace anytime. This next era will be like that in a way

Winning conference championships will become less relevant once the playoffs get bigger and super conferences begin. Unfortunately, this will apply to the regular season, too. I suspect we will be seeing 2 loss and 3 loss teams in playoffs in certain scenarios. The majority of the playoffs will be SEC and Big 10 programs.
Miami will never make the playoffs from either conference.

Advertisement
You’re right my bad...

We’re definitely making the playoffs out of the SEC with UGA, Bama, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Arkansas, UF, TAMU, Mizzou, South Carolina etc..

Or the B1G with OH ST, Michigan, Penn ST, USC, Mich ST, Purdue, Wisconsin etc..

I’m totally off base, my apologies.

Advertisement
You’re right my bad...

We’re definitely making the playoffs out of the SEC with UGA, Bama, Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Arkansas, UF, TAMU, Mizzou, South Carolina etc..

Or the B1G with OH ST, Michigan, Penn ST, USC, Mich ST, Purdue, Wisconsin etc..

I’m totally off base, my apologies.
What a dumb porst.

Advertisement
Back