MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

BIG 10 prime targets from the ACC are Miami / FSU / Clemson for the geographic expansion into Florida and also SEC country. Fox wants a genuine national conference. Big 10 most likely adding Oregon / Washington now due to the Pac 12 meltdown and fear of losing them to the B12 if they don't take them now, about 5 years ahead of when they wanted to take them. No way Miami goes to the SEC and high probability of FSU joining Miami in the Big 10.

Advertisement
I really don't see the benefit for the networks to bring in Oregon. Washington makes sense because there are owned and operated stations in Seattle that would benefit from the games and the bumper programming (pre/post game etc) but Eugene/Portland don't provide much. Oregon means more to ESPN as a national brand than to NBC/Fox/CBSi just
I just did a quick Google search and Portland is the 22nd largest TV market in the US. It ranks ahead of places like Indianapolis, Columbus, and only 4 spots behind Miami-Ft. Lauderdale. Not too bad. Plus Oregon right now is a marquee brand in cfb.

First it was Miami and Clemson were in lockstep cause of the DanRad connection

Now it's Miami and FSU marching arm in arm to the Big Ten

A lot of what we see in the media — much of it speculation for sure — seems to suggest Clemson and FSU are the two ACC heavyweights joined at the hip

Be interesting to see how things unfold

First it was Miami and Clemson were in lockstep cause of the DanRad connection

Now it's Miami and FSU marching arm in arm to the Big Ten

A lot of what we see in the media — much of it speculation for sure — seems to suggest Clemson and FSU are the two ACC heavyweights joined at the hip

Be interesting to see how things unfold
Or maybe you can go way back when when you may have been told that Clemson and Miami were in lockstep with Florida state from the beginning the moment Dan got here, even if later path (conference) might diverge.

Not you specifically, but I’m a little bit baffled that even for those that are not insiders on the specific topic, you can’t put the pieces together instead of freaking out. Do you really think it’s just an FSU and Clemson thing where Miami is somehow wandering behind them, or do you think it’s more likely that Miami is locked in conversations with its most fierce but respected rival (yes at school level that’s the case even if you don’t respect them), and with the school that our current athletic Director worked at for over a decade and built the career of their current athletic Director?

I mean not everything is 8D chess, and just because somebody’s the loudest in the room doesn’t mean they have the most power or aren’t making moves. If you thought the loudest in a conversation meant you win the big boy moves, we’d have president Marjorie Taylor green or Alexandria Cortez at this moment.

Last edited:
I think it’s also important for everyone to understand that there are a lot of voices that have some access or a lot of access or are completely in the dark, but don’t want to act like they are. And no matter what things change I’m not sure where anybody thinks that the entire world is predictable especially after the last few years.

And well not everything is complicated, There are some degrees of misdirection.

Like was Clemson really told they can’t get into the big 10 because of AAU yet with FSU, which is admittedly closer to AAU membership than Clemson, it’s not an issue at all - while at the same time everyone’s talking about that it’s about TV and ratings and there’s only three schools that really are additive dollar wise and that includes Clemson. I actually don’t claim to know the answer on Clemson and whether they were ruled out and told that and now that’s changed or what is up. It could also just trying to muddy the waters and perceptions out there so that the league can move in some degree of silence to whatever that can actually happen. I think of it this way do you think that Fox doesn’t want Clemson in their TV package? I bet they definitely do and I bet they have enough influence if they wanted to two pressure big 10 to take them because it’s not like Clemson is FIU athletically or academically

Advertisement
BIG 10 prime targets from the ACC are Miami / FSU / Clemson for the geographic expansion into Florida and also SEC country. Fox wants a genuine national conference. Big 10 most likely adding Oregon / Washington now due to the Pac 12 meltdown and fear of losing them to the B12 if they don't take them now, about 5 years ahead of when they wanted to take them. No way Miami goes to the SEC and high probability of FSU joining Miami in the Big 10.

Nah, Big 10 can get Washington/Oregon anytime down the road, from any conference, unless it's the SEC.

I think it’s also important for everyone to understand that there are a lot of voices that have some access or a lot of access or are completely in the dark, but don’t want to act like they are. And no matter what things change I’m not sure where anybody thinks that the entire world is predictable especially after the last few years.

Like was Clemson really told they can’t get into the big 10 because of AAU yet with FSU, which is admittedly closer to AAU membership than Clemson, it’s not an issue at all - while at the same time everyone’s talking about that it’s about TV and ratings and there’s only three schools that really are additive dollar wise and that includes Clemson. I actually don’t claim to know the answer on Clemson and whether they were ruled out and told that and now that’s changed or what is up. It could also just trying to muddy the waters and perceptions out there so that the league can move in some degree of silence to whatever that can actually happen. I think of it this way do you think that Fox doesn’t want Clemson in their TV package? I bet they definitely do and I bet they have enough influence if they wanted to two pressure big 10 to take them because it’s not like Clemson is FIU athletically or academically
There are different entities with different evaluations ... that is why there are some different takes on "who the B10" will take. Strictly from the B10 point of view ... they wanted Miami and FSU (FSU is very close to AAU accreditation and has research spending quite close to Miami). The B10 from a purely conference standpoint didn't see Clemson as a fit. HOWEVER Fox has a different viewpoint ... THEY see Clemson as a stake in the heart of SEC country, a foothold for their "national conference" deep in SEC territory, and a perfect addition to Miami and FSU locking up the SE sector. So at the end of the day sitting at the 'decision table' Fox appears to have swayed the decision. It would be a monster coup if the B10 could trap Miami, FSU, and Clemson, then have a scheduling deal with ND, and also have Oregon and Washington. National conference that could dominate the SEC from a programming viewpoint.

The thing that doesn't make sense though would be the SEC just sitting back and allowing the Big10 to raid 3 of the top 4 remaining programs - and 4/4 if you count ND making a scheduling agreement with them and eventually joining.

Clemson is the 1 school out of those 4 that clearly should be considered a better SEC fit than Big10 fit. FSU is a coin flip of where they'll choose and where they'd fit better.

But I really just can't imagine the Big10 walking out of this with Miami, FSU, Clemson, ND (Schedule agreement), Oregon (reduced share), Washington (reduced share), and like VTech (reduced share) (and still possibly Stanford+Cal at really reduced share)...while the SEC only lands UNC and UVA or some ****...

Obviously that would be a great scenario for us. Just don't think the SEC is gunna do nothing like that.

Advertisement
Nah, Big 10 can get Washington/Oregon anytime down the road, from any conference, unless it's the SEC.
Just saw an interesting tweet on a B10 site stating that the B10 is basically ready to commit to a 24 team conference and at least internally has agreed to the following six:

-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech

Then for the remaining two slots they are deciding between Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal, ASU.

Seems like some kid's fantasy conference addition rather than anything realistic. However @Genetics56 commented that it is an accurate assessment and he is more wired into B10 realignment than anyone I have seen commenting over the past year.

There are different entities with different evaluations ... that is why there are some different takes on "who the B10" will take. Strictly from the B10 point of view ... they wanted Miami and FSU (FSU is very close to AAU accreditation and has research spending quite close to Miami). The B10 from a purely conference standpoint didn't see Clemson as a fit. HOWEVER Fox has a different viewpoint ... THEY see Clemson as a stake in the heart of SEC country, a foothold for their "national conference" deep in SEC territory, and a perfect addition to Miami and FSU locking up the SE sector. So at the end of the day sitting at the 'decision table' Fox appears to have swayed the decision. It would be a monster coup if the B10 could trap Miami, FSU, and Clemson, then have a scheduling deal with ND, and also have Oregon and Washington. National conference that could dominate the SEC from a programming viewpoint.
I want this to happen just to one up those smug SEC ********.

The thing that doesn't make sense though would be the SEC just sitting back and allowing the Big10 to raid 3 of the top 4 remaining programs - and 4/4 if you count ND making a scheduling agreement with them and eventually joining.

Clemson is the 1 school out of those 4 that clearly should be considered a better SEC fit than Big10 fit. FSU is a coin flip of where they'll choose and where they'd fit better.

But I really just can't imagine the Big10 walking out of this with Miami, FSU, Clemson, ND (Schedule agreement), Oregon (reduced share), Washington (reduced share), and like VTech (reduced share) (and still possibly Stanford+Cal at really reduced share)...while the SEC only lands UNC and UVA or some ****...

Obviously that would be a great scenario for us. Just don't think the SEC is gunna do nothing like that.
They only have a tv deal with ESPN/ABC. That deal is less than BIG10 deal with fox/nbc/cbs AND espn is in trouble as we know. Comcast basically said. It interested in getting a share of espn, though who knows if that’s a negotiating ploy.

FSU rumored to be super ****ed with espn too. And if fsu wants athletics AND prestige and money Big10 is the answer. I think and im guessing here fsu overall is leaning big10 but we shall see. Once they make a public move, it’s moves and responses from there. Things could change. Clemson situation seemed to change.

Just because sec swipes right on fsu ultimately doesn’t mean fsu needs to meet for coffee with them

Just saw an interesting tweet on a B10 site stating that the B10 is basically ready to commit to a 24 team conference and at least internally has agreed to the following six:

-Oregon
-Washington
-Miami
-FSU
-Clemson
-Va Tech

Then for the remaining two slots they are deciding between Ga Tech, NC State, Stanford, Cal, ASU.

Seems like some kid's fantasy conference addition rather than anything realistic. However @Genetics56 commented that it is an accurate assessment and he is more wired into B10 realignment than anyone I have seen commenting over the past year.

Advertisement
That fox willing to pay fees, etc. I don't really buy that. That in itself could present legal issues for fox. Seems like message board gossip to me.

Go ahead and explain how FOX assisting it’s new business partners (acc schools being added) with their exit fees would cause legal issues for FOX……

This is the dumbest post I’ve read in a really long time

Advertisement

Not sure if this is true or not but

- if it is they must be assuming unc and uva are going sec for sure

- because I highly doubt unc went from being most coveted after nd as some said even two months ago - or alternatively that was all bs as IT WAS ALWAYS ABOUT FOOTBALLx MARKETS not just markets.

I believe it more likely means point one

@Rellyrell told me that Adidas is financing the move as part of the Messi Miami project…
Can personally confirm this. I verified it with Leo himself. Leo Goldfarb...the assistant manager at the Adidas store on Lincoln Rd. He says he confirmed it with the tall blonde in the crop top at the start of this video.

Jokes aside, if Adidas REALLY considers us a "flagship" school then we should expect at least some* cross promos with Messi. They already have him driving to Miami to create buzz around a new brick and mortar store so some other things (even if small) with their local entities shouldn't be too big an ask/expectation.

But I digress. Don't want to derail this thread.

Advertisement
Back