MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Now there is a brand that I would never be caught dead in 😂

Advertisement
Advertisement
Further proof that we should try to kill the GOR extension and ONLY live with the GOR through 2027...

1689280490866.png

Advertisement
there have been rumors for a while of Disney selling off parts of ESPN (im talking years and years ago). Iger left and they seemed to die but now theyre back which isnt a coincidence. ESPN costs Disney money and doesn't produce enough in revenue for the company. you already saw Disney fire a ton of their personalities and virtually their entire radio staff. its going to happen soon and id bet they boot off the ACCN the first chance they get or at least farm it out. needless to say, I dont think Disney will be the one standing in the way of miami getting to the b10 (I said miami will gone to the b10 on this thread a year ago or so when everyone was saying SEC).
I follow other blogs that focuses on entertainment, Networks, Disney. Something that stood out about Iger's comments relating to ESPN is that, although he would be willing to spin off and sell FX, ABC, he mentioned he would like to keep espn and find a strategic partner. He also stated how streaming could be better for ESPN.

Some people are reading into that as Disney is trying, or is already, working on a deal with Apple where they can stream ESPN on Apple+ and share some of the costs or own part of ESPN. Something like this would solve a lot of issues for Disney, and for Apple+ (their baseball and some sports stuff is awful). MLS isn't that bad but you can see Apple is going in big with sports with MLS and Messi deal.

I'm not sure how this would affect the ACC or their deal. But, assuming something like this happens, Apple having SEC games would be big for its service, and I don't think Apple would care or want the ACC. Maybe a cheaper buy out would be better for them in this scenario.

I follow other blogs that focuses on entertainment, Networks, Disney. Something that stood out about Iger's comments relating to ESPN is that, although he would be willing to spin off and sell FX, ABC, he mentioned he would like to keep espn and find a strategic partner. He also stated how streaming could be better for ESPN.

Some people are reading into that as Disney is trying, or is already, working on a deal with Apple where they can stream ESPN on Apple+ and share some of the costs or own part of ESPN. Something like this would solve a lot of issues for Disney, and for Apple+ (their baseball and some sports stuff is awful). MLS isn't that bad but you can see Apple is going in big with sports with MLS and Messi deal.

I'm not sure how this would affect the ACC or their deal. But, assuming something like this happens, Apple having SEC games would be big for its service, and I don't think Apple would care or want the ACC. Maybe a cheaper buy out would be better for them in this scenario.
Disney and apple are often in bed together going back to Steve Jobs.

if Disney can handle the connection, think of a betting site like draft kings as another possible strategic partner

It’s interesting to talk about conference realignment and which conference we would like to go to. All that matters is not getting left in the ACC and getting into one of the big two. I personally see us going to the big 10. We are a better fit academically with the big 10, but I would prefer we stay in the south. Playing up north in the cold is not our strength and I would prefer to limit the amount of travel across the board.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The CW deal isn't that big of a deal, it's basically the old Raycom/Jefferson Pilot deal and this gets regional games back on local broadcast TV which is a huge win for the entire league. I'm sure it was next to no money because Nexstar cries poor all the time while making these deals, but the best part is it's only for 2 years.

The CW deal isn't that big of a deal, it's basically the old Raycom/Jefferson Pilot deal and this gets regional games back on local broadcast TV which is a huge win for the entire league. I'm sure it was next to no money because Nexstar cries poor all the time while making these deals, but the best part is it's only for 2 years.
That's probably how long they expect the league to last.

Advertisement
Back