MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

I wonder if this could be approached in an opposite direction, by expanding. It would be insane if the ACC GOR says the conference is not allowed to expand past its current membership through 2036. And assuming the GOR doesn't forbid the ACC from expanding, then I doubt ESPN wrote into the contract that it can pay the same amount regardless of whether there are 16 or 24 teams in the ACC (we have some dumb people in charge, so I guess anything is possible). ESPN said its dropping the Pac12. So if the ACC formally merges with the remaining Pac12 (basically forming a coast to coast conference like the B1G), then maybe ESPN will be forced to renegotiate. If they refuse, then perhaps that is grounds for the ACC GOR to be invalidated.
The ACC is so stupid they probably have to eat the money for teams added amongst the members.

What your saying would be something. We need to see the GOR.

Advertisement
I am sorry, but this headline is misleading at best. Do strong ACC teams draw more than mediocre BIG10? Yes. Do strong Big10 teams significantly outdraw strong ACC teams? Yes.

First, let's exclude ND since it is not in the ACC or Big10. With that out of the way:

- The top ACC team is 4th in ratings and is only 56% and 69% of the top 2 teams in the Big10.
- Out of the top 10 teams, 8 are in the Big10
- Out of the top 14 teams 11 are in the Big10
- The 2nd place ACC team (FSU) is behind 6 Big10 schools and draws 35%, 43% and 63% of the top 3 Big10 schools
- The 3rd place ACC team (Miami) is behind 8 Big10 schools and draws 27%, 32% and 43% of the top Big10 schools (we rank behind Iowa 😐)

This headline should really be updated to Clemson's ratings would put it in the upper 25% of Big10 ratings.

There is some context that needs to be applied

Time slot and channel

Some of it is a self fulfilling prophecy

So I don’t trust the raw numbers to tell the whole story

At the same time ohio st, Michigan and Penn st are all giant public university that for the most part don’t share the rest of their state for viewership

I know Michigan state, but they’re little bro to Michigan

Miami has fsu and UF, along with UCF

There is some context that needs to be applied

Time slot and channel

Some of it is a self fulfilling prophecy

So I don’t trust the raw numbers to tell the whole story

At the same time ohio st, Michigan and Penn st are all giant public university that for the most part don’t share the rest of their state for viewership

I know Michigan state, but they’re little bro to Michigan

Miami has fsu and UF, along with UCF
I think time slot does play a big part for many Big 10 schools. Right after Gameday ends most of the “better” noon games to watch are the Big 10 matchups.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is why I have said that even if the ACC was not locked into contract with ESPN, the number that the ACC would get (although I think they would be better than PAC12) would likely still be VERY far behind the BIG10/SEC.

It will just cause more strife and dissension within the conference - which is fine by me.

The sooner this conference implodes, the better.

It will just cause more strife and dissension within the conference - which is fine by me.

The sooner this conference implodes, the better.

Even with the dumb performance-based bonuses idea, the top teams in the acc will still make around $30 million per year less than the worst B1G and SEC teams.

Advertisement
Just need teams with a home and we gone!! Have 7 with Louisville to the Big 12 - just need one more. Duke to the Big 10? Academics, basketball, on and off football that could become more competitive in a better conference?

Advertisement
I wonder if this could be approached in an opposite direction, by expanding. It would be insane if the ACC GOR says the conference is not allowed to expand past its current membership through 2036. And assuming the GOR doesn't forbid the ACC from expanding, then I doubt ESPN wrote into the contract that it can pay the same amount regardless of whether there are 16 or 24 teams in the ACC (we have some dumb people in charge, so I guess anything is possible). ESPN said its dropping the Pac12. So if the ACC formally merges with the remaining Pac12 (basically forming a coast to coast conference like the B1G), then maybe ESPN will be forced to renegotiate. If they refuse, then perhaps that is grounds for the ACC GOR to be invalidated.
The media agreement and GOR is renegotiated with any addition to the ACC.

Just need teams with a home and we gone!! Have 7 with Louisville to the Big 12 - just need one more. Duke to the Big 10? Academics, basketball, on and off football that could become more competitive in a better conference?

Notre.

Dame.

Their vote counts. They need to kill the ACC to join another conference before 2036. EVEN IF they still tried to keep football independent, they'd still need a landing spot for every other sport.

Advertisement
Back