MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

There are posters on here who have seen the GOR - I know two of them - though I’m not sure either can/will comment. Hopefully you’re right and we have what we need. They can either comment directly or let me know if this lines up with what they’ve seseen.
I have very explicitly not seen the GoR (although I think it's journalistic malpractice that it hasn't been made public through a FOIA request).

That being said, I think the quote in that post has to be wrong semantically speaking (which matters in a legal doc). I doubt 8 schools can directly vote to dissolve the grant or rights, or else all ACC schools would agree to do it. They can probably vote to dissolve the conference.

The original GOR gave the ACC the media rights to each ACC team. Assuming the renegotiated grant did the same, the theory is that if you dissolve the ACC, the GOR cannot continue to give school media rights to a non-existant entity.

Not a lawyer, nor an insider.

Advertisement
I have very explicitly not seen the GoR (although I think it's journalistic malpractice that it hasn't been made public through a FOIA request).

That being said, I think the quote in that post has to be wrong semantically speaking (which matters in a legal doc). I doubt 8 schools can directly vote to dissolve the grant or rights, or else all ACC schools would agree to do it. They can probably vote to dissolve the conference.

The original GOR gave the ACC the media rights to each ACC team. Assuming the renegotiated grant did the same, the theory is that if you dissolve the ACC, the GOR cannot continue to give school media rights to a non-existant entity.

I believe the dissolution needs to be of the conference, correct. Dissolving the GOR isn’t the move the move is to dissolve the conference as I understand it.

I doubt there’s journalistic malpractice with regards to no FOIA request so I wouldn’t assume that all these journalists don’t know what that is. There are documents or portions thereof which can be excepted out of FOIA compulsion.

you can see the GOR. it was already made available publicly

Advertisement
There was others here too but yeah. Ferman and others said “ those rumors were crazy“.
Pete Davidson GIF by ABC Network

Advertisement
Sure, there's some boring options as well

Maryland
Indiana
Purdue
Northwestern
Illinois
Iowa

However, the SEC would have boring teams also

South Carolina
Missouri
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Mississippi St.
Basketball would be great with those schools. All of those schools would have whooped our *** last year in football also. Yes, Northwestern and IU would have beat us.

Advertisement
see attached

There were several iterations and addendums to the document. The 2012 version is basic and doesn’t reveal much

I’m having trouble finding it again, but in one of the 2016 addendums there was language about dissolution of the conference by way of a majority (currently sits at 8) of the schools leaving. I remember it specifically saying no penalties would apply….. that was about the only halfway thought out protection the schools put in for themselves

Hence why the top 4 are working to find the mid tier schools a new home

@Ispyin are you able to corroborate?

Nope. Last year the Big 12 paid nearly $8M more per school. The ACC contract is truly horrible.
I said it months ago, if it ever went to court…. It won’t

But the Acc’s biggest defense/argument is how one sided the contract is, meaning the consideration component of every contract

It’s as if I had my 6year old kid sign a contract

Advertisement
All this talk, I mentioned where I stand way earlier in this thread.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were left out of any and all big conferences.

Why invite us? Schools already pick and choose mostly whichever recruits they want locally. Let the profits pile up and leave us out in the cold to starve.

This isn't the old Miami, at least not today. We aren't the draw or games people watch first, second, or even third mostly. Maybe all of this changes shortly, but if not, there's no reason to throw us a lifeline. **** them, let them rot should be their thinking, we'll be fine without them.

All this talk, I mentioned where I stand way earlier in this thread.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we were left out of any and all big conferences.

Why invite us? Schools already pick and choose mostly whichever recruits they want locally. Let the profits pile up and leave us out in the cold to starve.

This isn't the old Miami, at least not today. We aren't the draw or games people watch first, second, or even third mostly. Maybe all of this changes shortly, but if not, there's no reason to throw us a lifeline. **** them, let them rot should be their thinking, we'll be fine without them.
Why invite us?

For the B1G, because we're in Florida, one of the largest media markets in the country. And just a few years ago when we were decent, we were a top 5 draw nationally multiple times in a season.

The B1G will want to get into Florida. And we're the only big brand left in Florida that works with the B1G (FSU is just too dumb).

The SEC would invite us just to keep the B1G out of Florida permanently.

Edit to add: it's not about recruiting. The conference is worried about maximizing their contracts and the single biggest negotiated piece is media deals.

Advertisement
Back