MEGA Conference Realignment and lawsuits Megathread: Stories, Tales, Lies, and Exaggerations

Thanks for explaining it.... Tis why I added "If I'm correct".... I knew he had involvement but wasn't sure of the total extent....

It's all good.

Allow me to make this very clear.

BUT FOR THE GOR EXTENSION, the ACC GOR term would have come very close to matching both the Pac 12 and Big 12 GOR terms. Meaning, we could be joining the Big 10 right now without fear of reprisal or lawsuit.

The ONLY thing that has screwed us up is that god**** GOR extension.

Which is why I 1000% support an immediate Florida state or federal court contractual lawsuit asking for a declaratory judgment on TWO issues:

1. Whether the GOR EXTENSION provided adequate NEW AND VALUABLE consideration for the extension of time, or should the GOR extension be stricken as an invalid contract. And for the non-lawyers on the board, NO, a separate contract (ESPN's new TV deal to do the ACC Network) does NOT constitute adequate consideration.

2. Whether the ACC Commissioner had the unilateral and unapproved right to extend ESPN's contract to opt into the remaining option years of the TV deal from the agreed upon 2021 date to the unapproved 2025 date, in violation of the terms of the ACC Constitution.

That's it. If we win on either (or both) of those questions, we can leave the ACC whenever we choose to do so.

1719850219993.png

Advertisement
I think they'd take either invite, just as we would. If only one offered, that's where you go.

If I were the SEC, I'd be aggressive and try to block B1G out of Florida by offering both FSU and Miami. You'd have the three in the same division and have them annually playing each other, probably along with UGA and SC (or GT if they brought them in too). Imagine SEC wrapping up the south and taking Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, NC, NC State, UL, and another (UVA? OKSt?). You'd have Miami-FSU-UF, UGA-GT, SC-Clemson, UK-UL, UNC-NCSt to add to all their other in-state rivalries.

No to Louisville.

The most vicious SEC move humanly possible would be:

Miami-FSU
Clemson-GaTech
UNC-NC St
UVa-VaTech

If the Big 10 landed Notre Dame, who would care?

Those 8 teams would insure SEC hegemony forever.

FSU fans are still butthurt from the playoff snub and dont consider the SEC an option. They are all convinced they will go to the Big 10.

Most likely thing to happen is ESPN/ACC just moves FSU and Clemson to the SEC. But who knows lol

And this is why F$U fans are dumb.

You can't change the past. But if F$U joined the SEC, they'd never have to worry about 2023 repeating itself. Ever.

No to Louisville.

Miami-FSU
Clemson-GaTech
UNC-NC St
UVa-VaTech

If the Big 10 landed Notre Dame, who would care?

Those 8 teams would insure SEC hegemony forever.
Yeah I had just added Louisville in there since SEC already has Kentucky and they are in-state rivals, but I definitely considered putting UVA-VT in there instead. It'd be even more vicious to boot Vanderbilt and pull in Louisville or OK State.

To me, what you mentioned above seems SO obvious. All those natural in-state rivalries that already happen, but make them conference games. It'd be brutal week-to-week, but I feel it's heading that way regardless. Doubt we'd have a lot of issues selling tickets if we're regularly playing FSU, UF, UGA, and then on rotation with all the other SEC teams like Bama, Auburn, Texas, Oklahoma. Same could be said about putting us in the B1G with the likes of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, possibly ND, UCLA, USC, Oregon.

And this is why F$U fans are dumb.

You can't change the past. But if F$U joined the SEC, they'd never have to worry about 2023 repeating itself. Ever.
For multiple reasons......

1. The SEC doesn't get left behind
2. f$u has no chance of ever winning/dominating the SEC, hence not getting to the playoffs.

Advertisement

Miami-FSU
Clemson-GaTech
UNC-NC St
UVa-VaTech

Is this your on the record prediction?

(Would be the greatest thing to happen to UM Athletics — including the Final Four — since since we stomped a mudhole in the Huskers at the Rose Bowl for No. 5)

We just have to be honest. And echo what Spineless Frenk said nearly 10 years ago. It is worth the investment in sports EVEN IF IT IS NOTHING MORE than a marketing exercise for your university's academics.

Like it or not, the student of today is no longer so easily categorized. Even the students who (in theory) have the GPA and SAT to get into an Ivy League school...can ALSO be interested in student life (including athletics)...and are no longer choosing the Ivy League as such an "automatic" any longer.
It's probably even more true now, but even 20 years ago this was the case.

I was an RA in 2001/2 and the admissions department did not take into consideration the impact the football team winning the MNC would have on accepted students picking Miami and ended up with way more students than they had housing for. They had to convert study lounges in the dorms and even book students in the hotel across the street.

They learned their lesson the following year (not sure if they sent out less invites or did a first come first serve type of thing), but even then there was a marked improvement in the applications they were getting b/c Miami football was a powerhouse and prospective students wanted to be there for it.

Is this your on the record prediction?

(Would be the greatest thing to happen to UM Athletics — including the Final Four — since since we stomped a mudhole in the Huskers at the Rose Bowl for No. 5)

No prediction. Just a statement of fact.

Those 24 teams would be unstoppable as a conference. The national championship game could move to the Mercedes-Benz in Atlanta every year. The Final Four could rotate between Houston and Dallas. The College World Series could move out of Omaha for Florida.

Advertisement
Do you have a prediction at this time?

Or at least one you feel comfortable making at this time on this message board?

Not at the moment.

I do not know where things stand with the legal cases and/or settlements. For instance, if there are media types hinting that more than 2 teams could go, then I bet there is a tacit agreement by the ACC to let other schools go without them having to file lawsuits.

There are already 3 replacement schools. I can guarantee you that USF and UConn would jump at ACC offers.

It also depends on whether "half-shares" are required for "salary cap purposes".

I still like UM's fit and synergy with the Big 10. I think the Big 10 likes us too. The big question is what it takes to get Fox on board. We saw how fast they moved on Washington/Oregon when they took half-shares, so I think that's the sweet spot.

Does anyone truly believe that Fox would say "no thanks" if Miami offered to join the Big 10 on half-share? Are you ******* kidding me?

We need to make the half-share offer anyhow, just to weaken F$U's hand.

Not at the moment.

I do not know where things stand with the legal cases and/or settlements. For instance, if there are media types hinting that more than 2 teams could go, then I bet there is a tacit agreement by the ACC to let other schools go without them having to file lawsuits.

There are already 3 replacement schools. I can guarantee you that USF and UConn would jump at ACC offers.

It also depends on whether "half-shares" are required for "salary cap purposes".

I still like UM's fit and synergy with the Big 10. I think the Big 10 likes us too. The big question is what it takes to get Fox on board. We saw how fast they moved on Washington/Oregon when they took half-shares, so I think that's the sweet spot.

Does anyone truly believe that Fox would say "no thanks" if Miami offered to join the Big 10 on half-share? Are you ******* kidding me?

We need to make the half-share offer anyhow, just to weaken F$U's hand.
If you want an honest assessment of the game that F$U is playing, it's that they think they can spark a bidding war once they are free of the ACC. While they would be happy to take Big 10 money, they think that the SEC is just waiting in the weeds in order to pounce when F$U is available.

We shall see.
You mentioned a few posts back about FSU possibly wanting to start a bidding war. What’s the difference in full shares between B1G and SEC?
Is it possible that FSU doesn’t have a B1G full share offer in hand? Maybe a 3/4 share? Or is the B1G clearly behind SEC schools when it comes to shares currently?

Your statement about the possibllity of tacit agreement to let other schools leave without lawsuits is promising - it would certainly align with the Miami making moves behind the scenes.

FSU fans are still butthurt from the playoff snub and dont consider the SEC an option. They are all convinced they will go to the Big 10.

Most likely thing to happen is ESPN/ACC just moves FSU and Clemson to the SEC. But who knows lol
There are many FSU fans that prefer the SEC. Yeah, the snub hurt. But many prefer the prospect of being able to drive to most away games, like the SEC for style of football, and believe it is easier to recruit to the SEC than any other conference. One factor that could limit how many teams the SEC does take right now is $$$. ESPN had been balking about paying more for a 9th conference game and their media agreement doesn't come up for renewal to 2030. Have seen comments that the SEC and ESPN "are not in agreement regarding certain goals". Might be SEC wants to move aggressively right now in adding more teams and ESPN wants to delay a bit for $$$ reasons. More "rumors" to consider while the popcorn pops.

Advertisement
You mentioned a few posts back about FSU possibly wanting to start a bidding war. What’s the difference in full shares between B1G and SEC?
Is it possible that FSU doesn’t have a B1G full share offer in hand? Maybe a 3/4 share? Or is the B1G clearly behind SEC schools when it comes to shares currently?

Your statement about the possibllity of tacit agreement to let other schools leave without lawsuits is promising - it would certainly align with the Miami making moves behind the scenes.
Comments a few months ago were that FSU had a half or partial share offer from the SEC and full share from the Big 10.

Advertisement
whats the delta in full shares between the conferences?
Both SEC and B10 are projected to be in the $80-100M per school payout by 2029 based on projections I saw a while ago. Then you have the CFP payout which starting in 2026 is $21M per school in the SEC / B10, $13M to the ACC schools and $12M to the B12.

I believe the Big 10 full-share is a bit higher than the SEC full-share, at least for now. Keep in mind that Washington/Oregon added value, but only took half-shares. I don't know that there is an officially-reported actual number, we have hypothesized on the Washington/Oregon numbers based on what they have provided to their state legislatures within their budget process.

It is hard to know what F$U has "in-hand", as I don't think it is anything solid yet. If you recall, from about a year ago, they were acting like the Big 10 would fund their exit fee, and I think that went by the wayside (particularly when Washington/Oregon cut in line with their half-share offers).

If you also recall, recently it was reported that Clemson had an "agreement" not to sue the ACC for a bit of time (though they ultimately did), so I can see the ACC begging other potential litigants to hold off while they try to keep all the plates spinning. We see what a sudden mass-exit did to the Pac 12.

If there are rumblings that "more than" 2 teams could exit the ACC, and yet there are only 2 schools suing the ACC, then there has to be some "organized exit" agreement being proposed.

I believe the Big 10 full-share is a bit higher than the SEC full-share, at least for now. Keep in mind that Washington/Oregon added value, but only took half-shares. I don't know that there is an officially-reported actual number, we have hypothesized on the Washington/Oregon numbers based on what they have provided to their state legislatures within their budget process.

It is hard to know what F$U has "in-hand", as I don't think it is anything solid yet. If you recall, from about a year ago, they were acting like the Big 10 would fund their exit fee, and I think that went by the wayside (particularly when Washington/Oregon cut in line with their half-share offers).

If you also recall, recently it was reported that Clemson had an "agreement" not to sue the ACC for a bit of time (though they ultimately did), so I can see the ACC begging other potential litigants to hold off while they try to keep all the plates spinning. We see what a sudden mass-exit did to the Pac 12.

If there are rumblings that "more than" 2 teams could exit the ACC, and yet there are only 2 schools suing the ACC, then there has to be some "organized exit" agreement being proposed.

Advertisement
Back