CIS D-Day - February 17, 2023 - “Meat” at the Titanic!

Advertisement
It’s really not that complicated. There’s two little Italy’s. Most tourists are referencing Mulberry Street. Local Italians consider Arthur Avenue in the Bronx to be their Little Italy.

If you are Italian and live in Westchester County or Connecticut and say your going to Little Italy, you’re going to the Bronx, which is probably better anyway. If you are visiting from Iowa for the first time and staying in Midtown, you’re probably going downtown to Little Italy and Chinatown.

Is this reasonable?

I've got one that might stump @SWFLHurricane.

There was an Italian cold cut from Northern Italy pronounced in my Nonna's broken English as koo-duh-geen.

Do you know what this is and where I can find it?

Was it a sausage? Cotechino?

My mom's side of the family is mostly German, with some Italian. My great uncle's family had a meat store in Soulard Market in St. Louis since the 1920s (it's now just a spice shop). Used to go there with my grandfather all the time to get different kinds of sausages and cold cuts, it's one of my favorite childhood memories of the summers I spent visiting family in the Lou.

Advertisement
Never went to McSorely's? And you're arguing ANYTHING with ANYONE about NYC?? : )

Continental: 5 SHOTS OF ANYTHING FOR $10!!

Going way back before our time, St. marks was also the site of the legendary Electric Circus.

LOL, dude, that's more of a touristy spot than anything. But I appreciate it for the history.

Truth is the Village is loaded with better bars - and happy hours.

One of my favorite spots is the fat black ***** cat - across from the courts on W4th.

Next door to this legendary scene at Mickey Dees

Get this kid a happy meal!!!!

It’s really not that complicated. There’s two little Italy’s. Most tourists are referencing Mulberry Street. Local Italians consider Arthur Avenue in the Bronx to be their Little Italy.

If you are Italian and live in Westchester County or Connecticut and say your going to Little Italy, you’re going to the Bronx, which is probably better. If you are visiting from Iowa for the first time and staying in Midtown, you’re probably going downtown to Little Italy and Chinatown.

Is this reasonable?
If I told my Italian relatives in Bridgeport that I was going to Little Italy, they'd verbal abuse me for getting Italian food anywhere but their house.

Advertisement
Yup, but when people talk about NYC and Little Italy, they're talking about the neighborhood with the sign, not where the people of Italian descent might personally prefer to eat.
I'm a NYer....and have Tons of family all throughout NYC....All of us know that Arthur Ave is the TRUE Little Italy....as far as what tourists think, I couldn't care less. Any Tourist that comes to NYC should ask the locals. That's like a Tourist that goes to Philly, and gets a Cheesesteak at Pat's or Geno's because they saw them on TV....When anyone in Philly will tell you they're the bottom of the barrel.

Yup, but when people talk about NYC and Little Italy, they're talking about the neighborhood with the sign, not where the people of Italian descent might personally prefer to eat.

You're 1000% right, but we need to get away from the sign. The sign has nothing to do with it. Little Italy isn't colloquially called Little Italy because people think its the center of Italian life in NYC like some here are trying to infer, its called little Italy because it's literally the name of the neighborhood.

So no matter how many great grand grandfathers tell @passitback stories in his dreams, or how much trouble @SWFLHurricane has processing this (I kid! kinda), Little Italy is Little Italy and Arthur Avenue is Arthur Avenue, until the NYC government decides to re-name them.

These two cretinos just don't get that it's not a subjective conversation!

If I told my Italian relatives in Bridgeport that I was going to Little Italy, they'd verbal abuse me for getting Italian food anywhere but their house.

Stopped in Bridgeport to hit Famous Pizza the other day.

Mother****ers gonna learn about PIB. I get around the tri state.

LOL, dude, that's more of a touristy spot than anything. But I appreciate it for the history.

Truth is the Village is loaded with better bars - and happy hours.

One of my favorite spots is the fat black ***** cat - across from the courts on W4th.

Next door to this legendary scene at Mickey Dees

Get this kid a happy meal!!!!

TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE PLACE YOU'VE NEVER BEEN TO. THANKS!

Advertisement

If you are Italian and live in Westchester County or Connecticut and say your going to Little Italy, you’re going to the Bronx, which is probably better anyway. If you are visiting from Iowa for the first time and staying in Midtown, you’re probably going downtown to Little Italy and Chinatown.

The only thing Mulberry Street has over Arthur Avenue is its San Gennaro festival.

I'm a NYer....and have Tons of family all throughout NYC....All of us know that Arthur Ave is the TRUE Little Italy....as far as what tourists think, I couldn't care less. Any Tourist that comes to NYC should ask the locals. That's like a Tourist that goes to Philly, and gets a Cheesesteak at Pat's or Geno's because they saw them on TV....When anyone in Philly will tell you they're the bottom of the barrel.

You're the crown prince of 2nd tier central Florida condos who tells us about the last 4000 years of your FL history incessantly. You're a Floridian! Why don't you get this? NO ONE IN NYC CALLS ARTHUR AVENUE LITTLE ITALY. NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE AND WORK ON ARTHUR AVENUE. IT'S BELMONT!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're the crown prince of 2nd tier central Florida condos who tells us about your last 4000 years of your FL history. You're a Floridian! Why don't you get this? NO ONE IN NYC CALLS ARTHUR AVENUE LITTLE ITALY. NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE AND WORK IN ARTHUR AVENUE.

How the **** do you know? I used to live in the BX, Fordham to be exact.

The neighborhood is literally a block or two from Fordham University, and you know what it is called? Little Italy and / or the Belmont section of the Bronx.

Please, stop. Just stop.

The area is known is Little Italy! Period!

You're the crown prince of 2nd tier central Florida condos who tells us about your last 4000 years of your FL history. You're a Floridian! Why don't you get this? NO ONE IN NYC CALLS ARTHUR AVENUE LITTLE ITALY. NOT EVEN THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE AND WORK IN ARTHUR AVENUE.
All my Italian family members who live in NYC do (about 30 of them)...and BTW, I was Born in Brooklyn, I need no lessons from anyone on this site about Italian Culture in NYC... so there's that...

Advertisement
Back