Chris Johnson Jr. season outlook

BeachCanes

Sophomore
Was watching his HS tapes and the guy is a legit RB besides the track numbers. Do you guys think we'll get him involved? I'm not a big fan of Dawson at all so it would be a massive letdown if this kid doesn't get touches and pure speculation on my part but I can see him transferring after this year if we don't get him involved. He should get at least 10 touches against the cupcake teams like FAMU and Ball St. I like Mark Fletcher a lot but don't think he's a gamechanger at RB.
Also, is there any reason to why he shouldn't be returning kick offs?

So, what's the outlook for Chris Johnson this season?

Advertisement
Mario spoke highly of him at the ACC media day but its gonna be on Dawson to get him the ball in ways that highlight his strength which is in space. We didnt really throw the ball ANY last year to RB so I havent seen him try to do that HERE. Mario mentioned evolving the offense so I hope there is a plan for him on the edge which would STRESS a defense and actually help guys like Martinez/Fletcher thrive in their roles also because you can only stretch defensive resources soo thin.

Im just gonna sit and be hopeful that he can develop and be used in ideal situations. Last year offense didnt give hope for that but new season and hopefully Mario gave Dawson directive to expand the offense and getting your guys in space is more than just running that wvu-clemson orange bowl pitch pass, what we did with Brashard last year should not happen ever again (him standing on sideline while we struggle with UVA to score TDs)

D$ and Ariz’ podcast on the RBs matches my personal opinion which is that Johnson hasn’t developed enough balance and patience yet to be a reliable option (much less have confidence in his blocking). But elite speed guys take longer to bake, as they have relied on that super power all their sports lives. There is no reason he wouldn’t get there eventually. When the light switches on, watch out.

Advertisement
D$ and Ariz’ podcast on the RBs matches my personal opinion which is that Johnson hasn’t developed enough balance and patience yet to be a reliable option (much less have confidence in his blocking). But elite speed guys take longer to bake, as they have relied on that super power all their sports lives. There is no reason he wouldn’t get there eventually. When the light switches on, watch out.
Yeah but at the same time, if we don't use him this year, can't you see him as a possible transfer candidate next year?

Dawson tried to get him meaningful snaps in the latter half of last year. It seems he only trusted him with swing passes to get him in space but it never worked.

Yeah but at the same time, if we don't use him this year, can't you see him as a possible transfer candidate next year?
In today's game everyone is a transfer candidate, even if they get playing time.

As for using the RBs in the passing game, I did see Dawson incorporate more screens and wheel routes in the spring game.

Advertisement
Dawson needs to dial up creativity. If you keep doing the same **** over and over it becomes easier to defend. Doesn’t always have to be in the passing game. Think of Richt’s offense. It became predictable and he wouldn’t adjust(…”it’s worked for 30yrs…”). That being said, against ND he broke out a counter we hadn’t seen before and Homer hit them for big gains. Subtle, but effective. Their DL hadn’t seen it on tape and it worked. I hope Dawson can do that on a consistent basis. Not 1 game a year. All of our RB’s will benefit. So will the OL, TE’s, WR’s and the QB. Prob the D too, keep them fresh. My $0.02.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
And that’s fine if he’s not the best pass blocker but you need to find him wrinkled to get him on the field and keep stress on the opposing defenses
Just because someone is fast he doesn’t mean they can’t be a liability. In speed you didn’t even notice him. The other freshmen rb Wheatley stood out more.
You guys think Mario is like I have a kid with elite speed. Let me find ways to keep
Him off the field?

He's got to earn it. Both the other 2024 guys, Lyle and Lofton, give Dawson more optionality. They can pass block, take a handoff for any run play, lead block for any run play, take a wheel route, screen or slant pass. Yes Dawson needs to scheme something up for the Ray Rays, Robbys and CJs of the team. But we want to win first and foremost, and CJ being a Dave Kingman style homerun hitter with high strike counts doesn't keep the team on schedule to run the rest of the offense smoothly.

If I were Dawson, I'd bring out a speed package including Johnson on the play immediately following a big momentum swing our way to see if we can strike twice and crush the souls of the opposition. Look for those deep verticals, then check down to Johnson if they're not available. Heck, even send Johnson deep on a delayed go route. He goes down, provided he doesn't cough up the ball, we're still fine

Advertisement
That blocking **** is dead in the spread option day.. a talent that can strike up the band in space is not kept off the field if they can't block that died with the relics of pro style guys (old school thinking) you put the defense in conflict and leak the guy out..

Imagine McDaniel saying he can't get 5'8 180 pound achane on the field because he can't block.. just say you don't know how to get your players the ball.. use the player to his strength!

He’s a gadget play guy right now. They have to get him the ball in space because he’s not the kind of player who can find creases and running lanes. That’s why he didn’t play last year and will likely be a fourth option this year. His speed makes him dangerous on screens but it’s also a huge tip off to the defense when he comes into the game. He can’t run between the tackles and he can’t pass block so anytime CJJ is in, it’s got to be some kind of screen or toss to him in the open. He will get his chances against FAMU and Ball State. If he can maximize those chances, he’ll get more burn. If not expect to see him fall down the depth chart. I thought Wheatley Humphrey looked better in the spring game.

Advertisement
Back