Canisius 7:30pm ACCNX/ESPN+

Advertisement
Advertisement
Not a perfect start to the season, but lots to talk about, both good and bad. I'm going to not talk about the refs, because they were flat out trash. They **** near kept Canisius in the game.

1) Charlie Moore is going to lead to me having to drink during games. I can't stand the way he treats the rock. Maybe it's a one game aberration, but his turnovers tonight were anger inducing. A good PG is always in control, always has a good hand on what the offense is supposed to be. Moore didn't have any clue what he was doing tonight. Too many times he dribbled himself into trouble. That has to change, because that will get this team crushed in ACC play.

2) Sam may not be a star, but I think he has a legit role. Yes, he isn't the stretch 4 we all hoped he would be, but he's one of the few guys on the roster that is actively defensively, and consistently makes the right decision offensively. I love that when he goes to rebound, he has the awareness to tip out, especially if he recognizes that he's outnumbered in the area. His ability to pass out of the post and from the elbow will come in handy this year. That said, he should look for his shot, if teams are going to leave him open from 3, he has the ability to make them pay.

3) Wong will be fine. Dude dropped 40 a couple of weeks ago, he'll figure it out. That said, he has to realize that there's enough scoring punch on this roster now to where he can pick his spots and not jack up bad shots. Do love how he defended tonight.

4)If Gak isn't going to play, what's the point of him being on the roster? I must have missed him being injured again, but he appeared to be in uniform. This guy needs to play. Period. If L isn't going to play him, then his failure to land any kind of big depth is even more egregious and will lead to his demise.

5) McGusty had it working tonight and Miami is going to need him to be a factor if this team is going to be competitive in conference play. McGusty should be able to feast, especially if teams sag against Wong. Someone has to be open and McGusty has to hit those open shots.

6)If Walker ever learns how to shoot worth a ****, he has a future. He reminds me so much of Dequan Jones, it's frightening. They both can jump out of the gym, they both can create some SC Top 10 plays, but when they shoot, it's dreadful. Walker has a better handle and is a more consistent defender.

Advertisement
Wasn’t great, wasn’t terrible. Great night for Kam. Surprisingly decent front court production. Wong was…off, but he’ll be fine. Definitely agree that Moore turned it over too much.

I have to say we’ve had worse student sections for ACC games
Which is an indictment of our garbage *** student body. They've always been garbage, except when the team was really, really good. I remember being able to show up to ACC games 15 minutes before tip and still have my usual front row seats. There's no reason why you can't get 400 kids to these games. There's less than 300 there and that's including the band. The athletic department used to have giveaways for these games, to get the on campus residents out. You get a couple of floors worth of kids from the dorms, that's an improvement.

@Canedude08 great post. Agree on everything.

1 game sample size but this appears to be: yet another low iq, turnover prone starting 1 L has had over the years.

Advertisement
Not a perfect start to the season, but lots to talk about, both good and bad. I'm going to not talk about the refs, because they were flat out trash. They **** near kept Canisius in the game.

1) Charlie Moore is going to lead to me having to drink during games. I can't stand the way he treats the rock. Maybe it's a one game aberration, but his turnovers tonight were anger inducing. A good PG is always in control, always has a good hand on what the offense is supposed to be. Moore didn't have any clue what he was doing tonight. Too many times he dribbled himself into trouble. That has to change, because that will get this team crushed in ACC play.

2) Sam may not be a star, but I think he has a legit role. Yes, he isn't the stretch 4 we all hoped he would be, but he's one of the few guys on the roster that is actively defensively, and consistently makes the right decision offensively. I love that when he goes to rebound, he has the awareness to tip out, especially if he recognizes that he's outnumbered in the area. His ability to pass out of the post and from the elbow will come in handy this year. That said, he should look for his shot, if teams are going to leave him open from 3, he has the ability to make them pay.

3) Wong will be fine. Dude dropped 40 a couple of weeks ago, he'll figure it out. That said, he has to realize that there's enough scoring punch on this roster now to where he can pick his spots and not jack up bad shots. Do love how he defended tonight.

4)If Gak isn't going to play, what's the point of him being on the roster? I must have missed him being injured again, but he appeared to be in uniform. This guy needs to play. Period. If L isn't going to play him, then his failure to land any kind of big depth is even more egregious and will lead to his demise.

5) McGusty had it working tonight and Miami is going to need him to be a factor if this team is going to be competitive in conference play. McGusty should be able to feast, especially if teams sag against Wong. Someone has to be open and McGusty has to hit those open shots.

6)If Walker ever learns how to shoot worth a ****, he has a future. He reminds me so much of Dequan Jones, it's frightening. They both can jump out of the gym, they both can create some SC Top 10 plays, but when they shoot, it's dreadful. Walker has a better handle and is a more consistent defender.

Definitely not a 1 game thing with Moore, his handle is loooooooose

Advertisement
The real issue is we don't play a style of play that is conducive to the roster. Why are we starting 4 guards and still playing slow. We ran like 3 basic sets the entire half. There is no design plays to get guys open shots, everything revolves around Moore, Wong and Mcgusty going 1 on 1 or a ball screen with a big who is no threat to score on the roll so its not hard to guard
I’ve been yelling that we need to play at a faster pace for several seasons now, and it’s no more apparent than with this roster.

Advertisement
Back