Canes Offer #1 Overall Transfer DE Jared Verse

Advertisement
He’s a great guy. We became friends over the past 6 years as our kids played basketball at the same school; point guard and center, and became very good friends. ****mbe and his wife Rose are very sincere people who are appreciative of what life has provided them. They pay for college for all the nieces and nephews and stress education to their 3 kids. Their passion is the hospital and clinics they have built in the Congo.
Most people don’t know that ****mbe was a Georgetown student studying to become a doctor when he was discovered playing intramural basketball his freshman year. He told John Thompson that he’s could not afford to spend time on basketball as he had come to Georgetown to become a doctor. John Thompson explained that with the money ****mbe could make in the NBA, he could start a hospital.

I’ll let you guess whose son was the point guard and whose son was the center on the high school basketball team.
That’s awesome and thanks for sharing! In 2004-05 I had the opportunity to work in ticket sales as a lowly telemarketer for the Atlanta Hawks and met a couple of players. Our office was located in Centennial Tower. Dominique Wilkins was very down to earth and served as VP.

Kevin Willis, a journeyman center, was on the team at the time and came to our floor just to wish all of us Merry Christmas before the holidays.

Another time while going to pass out Hawks flyers at a Falcons game, I met Tony Delk whose game I had admired previously when he played for the Kings (they never could beat Kobe and the Lakers in the playoffs).

I was in Philips Arena and walked down the hallways with my manager and he was accompanied by someone else I didn’t recognize. Tony extended his hand toward me and just briefly stated, “hey, I’m Tony Delk”. It was a cool moment for me as a twenty-something kid.

When I was initially hired, we got a tour of Phillips Arena and got to see the player locker rooms which was cool. The remember the door was HUGE and was 8’ or 9’ tall.

Hawks ticket sales as a telemarketer was a very tough sale. The team was never great and most fans that came to games went to see the opposing teams. Also at the time, the Falcons were red-hot with Michael Vick at the helm and people would much rather spend $ on a watching winning product. Sound familiar?

The best perk of the job was being a “seat filler”. Our managers worked out a deal with court side ticket ushers on game nights where we could essentially “fill seats” that weren’t sold and watch the games. If someone purchased the seat and showed up, we would just move left/right or back a row. The court side seats were always filled first.

I took full opportunity of this and went to as many games as possible, knowing full and well I’d never be able to afford court side seats. I got to see Lebron, Shaq, Reggie Miller, Allen Iverson and many others play.

During warm-ups, one of the Hawks’ rookies (Josh Childress) still had his long-sleeve jumper on just before tip-off. Reggie Miller looked at him and motioned to him that he still had it on bc Childress was clueless. He finally took it off and Reggie looked at my brother and I who sat in the front row and said, “******* rookies” as he shook his head.

Bwahahaha. Perfect. You ole dog. Well in reality I’ve been on 1 1st date in about 15 years so I’d need a lot more help than that line. This guy is a little rusty. Hopefully your 2022 is a slam dunk

Je$u$ Chri$t! Now that’s what I’m talking bout! I love fat cheeks with cuffs

Advertisement
That’s awesome and thanks for sharing! In 2004-05 I had the opportunity to work in ticket sales as a lowly telemarketer for the Atlanta Hawks and met a couple of players. Our office was located in Centennial Tower. Dominique Wilkins was very down to earth and served as VP.

Kevin Willis, a journeyman center, was on the team at the time and came to our floor just to wish all of us Merry Christmas before the holidays.

Another time while going to pass out Hawks flyers at a Falcons game, I met Tony Delk whose game I had admired previously when he played for the Kings (they never could beat Kobe and the Lakers in the playoffs).

I was in Philips Arena and walked down the hallways with my manager and he was accompanied by someone else I didn’t recognize. Tony extended his hand toward me and just briefly stated, “hey, I’m Tony Delk”. It was a cool moment for me as a twenty-something kid.

When I was initially hired, we got a tour of Phillips Arena and got to see the player locker rooms which was cool. The remember the door was HUGE and was 8’ or 9’ tall.

Hawks ticket sales as a telemarketer was a very tough sale. The team was never great and most fans that came to games went to see the opposing teams. Also at the time, the Falcons were red-hot with Michael Vick at the helm and people would much rather spend $ on a watching winning product. Sound familiar?

The best perk of the job was being a “seat filler”. Our managers worked out a deal with court side ticket ushers on game nights where we could essentially “fill seats” that weren’t sold and watch the games. If someone purchased the seat and showed up, we would just move left/right or back a row. The court side seats were always filled first.

I took full opportunity of this and went to as many games as possible, knowing full and well I’d never be able to afford court side seats. I got to see Lebron, Shaq, Reggie Miller, Allen Iverson and many others play.

During warm-ups, one of the Hawks’ rookies (Josh Childress) still had his long-sleeve jumper on just before tip-off. Reggie Miller looked at him and motioned to him that he still had it on bc Childress was clueless. He finally took it off and Reggie looked at my brother and I who sat in the front row and said, “******* rookies” as he shook his head.
One of the NBA dunk contests Dominique dunked 2 basketballs and basically everyone missed it because he should have waited 30 seconds after Jordan dunked. Dude could fly.

Awesome stories. The experience made up for your pay. I’ve sat near the court 3-4 times, most recently with ****mbe for game 8 of the Hawks-Sixers playoff series. Completely different experience when you are that close to the court.
Side story, I instatantly became an old man during that game. We were sitting close to where Joel Embiid and John Collins fell into the crowd. Rather than chewing, I started yelling ”calm down Joel”.

Awesome stories. The experience made up for your pay. I’ve sat near the court 3-4 times, most recently with ****mbe for game 8 of the Hawks-Sixers playoff series. Completely different experience when you are that close to the court.
Side story, I instatantly became an old man during that game. We were sitting close to where Joel Embiid and John Collins fell into the crowd. Rather than chewing, I started yelling ”calm down Joel”.
Yeah, the pay was not great (about $9/hr plus 7% commission), but I really wanted to pursue a job in the sports field. My favorite experience was when my dad drove up from Savannah when the Sixers were playing and we got to sit court side. He played in college, but didn’t really follow NBA. I told him to watch #3, who of course was Allen Iverson. AI didn’t disappoint and went off that night. Don’t remember him missing any shots. BTW, he is definitely NOT 6 feet tall. 😂

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I know I should care, but I don’t give two rips about prison mike getting a few transfers we could’ve used. It’s like getting mad about the color of the sand on the shores of Omaha Beach.

Advertisement
Back