Burgess Owens

Advertisement
Excellent player on terrible UM teams in the early 70s. Recruited out of Tallahassee Rickards HS. Drafted by the NY Jets. Played around a decade in the NFL as a DB, mostly with the Jets.
Actually, Miami's defense even on those bad 60s and 70s teams was always well respected.

Excellent player on terrible UM teams in the early 70s. Recruited out of Tallahassee Rickards HS. Drafted by the NY Jets. Played around a decade in the NFL as a DB, mostly with the Jets.

Thanks for a real answer!

Yeah, I kinda remember he was Cane, but became a Jet--- which made him dead to me :)

As for Trailerhassee, I do remember always hating the Gators from the moment of me first watching them, but I actually didnt hate FSU (at THAT time). Maybe because FSU and UM hated Ufa6 equally.

I'm also thinking his local college choice was probably worse than us. Heck, I'm not even sure when they stopped (officially) being an all-girl college.

I think Greg Threat (sp?) also came down from there, but I don't remember all that many "quality Canes" from Trailerhassee coming here.

Thanks again

Advertisement
Ryan Hill was from Tallahassee also.

I'm sure there's more.... but Ryan Hill, IIRC, was a big recruiting win for ?Shannon?, and also played on some "mediocre" teams.

And, "maincane", I think Ottis Anderson is the greatest um running back--- of the ones that we rarely talk about. Was the Frisbee site the Nob Hill complex on the south side of Kendall Drive? Also, did he come from that clown college like Ryan Hill, etc? If so, HE was the beyond the best (?only?) reasons for not elimanating that city.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Burgess was an outstanding player, one of the best of the ‘70’s, and we did have some great players in the ‘70’s (just not enough).

He was an All-American and a longtime starter on several NFL teams.

214B3A78-C255-46E3-8DF8-0A8BF8E54CDF.png

That’s Ted Hendricks to his right, no. 83.

I think Burgess went in the first round. I’d have to check.

Actually, Miami's defense even on those bad 60s and 70s teams was always well respected.
You're correct and we were even somewhat noted for some excellent OL in that "lost decade" of the 70s. What we NEVER HAD in that decade (until Jim Kelly at the very end) was a decent QB (sound familiar!!) and that killed us.

Owens' father was a college professor in Tally I think (I'd bet it wasn't at FSU). Burgess was among the first few Black players recruited by UM in the years after Ray Bellamy became the first African American player in '67.

You're correct and we were even somewhat noted for some excellent OL in that "lost decade" of the 70s. What we NEVER HAD in that decade (until Jim Kelly at the very end) was a decent QB (sound familiar!!) and that killed us.

Owens' father was a college professor in Tally I think (I'd bet it wasn't at FSU). Burgess was among the first few Black players recruited by UM in the years after Ray Bellamy became the first African American player in '67.
He went 13th in the ‘73 draft. Made the Pro Bowl in ‘81.

I don’t think we were noted for OL in the ‘70’s as much as DL’s.

We had one outstanding OL, Dennis Harrah in the early ‘70’s. He went first round to LA Rams and was a longtime starter.

We had a slew of good DLs in the ‘70’s: Ruben Carter (future Denver Orange Crush), Don Smith (Falcons); Eddie Edwards (future Bengals), Don Latimer (Denver). We also had little Tony Christiani, an All-American middle guard, who terrorized offenses with his quickness and speed. I think Smith, Edwards and Latimer were first rounders. Ruben Carter was not but he was a stud for ten years on the famous Denver Orange Crush defense that played in the Super Bowl. He played next to another of my favorite players of that era, Lyle Alzado.

Getting back to Burgess: he should be regarded as an all-time Hurricane great.

Some of the guys I mentioned above might have had some Pro Bowl or even All Pro years. Most were pretty good pros.

Burgess was born in Columbus, Ohio so maybe his father was studying at OSU.

Advertisement
Back