Big Game Today @4:30

Advertisement
The Murphy hate is a little over the top

He also plays with an edge. He is an overall asset to the team but he has limitations like most college players.

I agree that Murphy serves an important role. He also needs to stop taking outside jump shots. Not only is it an automatic brick, when he shoots from outside he's away from the boards and can't compete for an offensive rebound (one of his strengths).

The least efficient shot on the floor is the long two pointer, yet Kamari Murphy shoots it, knowing full well that he can't even hit a **** free throw. I don't get it, put the ball on the floor and get to the rim, YOU CAN'T SHOOT KAMARI.

He couldn't shoot tonight for only 11 points

And note he got those points at the rim, or at the free throw line(Which is a shock, he's an awful FT shooter). Kamari Murphy has no business shooting fifteen foot jumpers, he is maybe a 20% shooter from that area, and that's being generous. It's not an efficient shot, it's not a shot that leads to points most of the time, and as someone stated earlier, it takes him away from the glass, where he can truly help the team.

With a little development I think Izundu will be a player in the future, might just be better than Jakeri.

He has a body type that will be able to gain good weight and mass. Tonye, for all the work he did in the weight room was always going to be a thin guy. Izundu also has a "I want to crush someone" personality type, he looks to destroy people, and that's what you need when you are inside. Tonye sometimes would try to finesse people, when brute power would have been far more effective. If Ebuka can improve on the curve Tonye did, he'll be a better player, merely because he wasn't nearly as raw coming in.

Advertisement
C1C13KqXEAAFiLL.webp

[video=youtube;VIM1zBBAy7c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?DB_OEM_ID=28700&v=VIM1zBBAy7c&feature=youtu.be[/video]

The least efficient shot on the floor is the long two pointer, yet Kamari Murphy shoots it, knowing full well that he can't even hit a **** free throw. I don't get it, put the ball on the floor and get to the rim, YOU CAN'T SHOOT KAMARI.

And note he got those points at the rim, or at the free throw line(Which is a shock, he's an awful FT shooter). Kamari Murphy has no business shooting fifteen foot jumpers, he is maybe a 20% shooter from that area, and that's being generous. It's not an efficient shot, it's not a shot that leads to points most of the time, and as someone stated earlier, it takes him away from the glass, where he can truly help the team.

I am not even talking 15 footers. He is shooting behind the FTL. His shots are further back and an even lower percentage.

Advertisement

I am not even talking 15 footers. He is shooting behind the FTL. His shots are further back and an even lower percentage.

He'll take one of those at least once per game.

Last edited:

He's good for one of those at least once per game.

When was the last time he hit one? It wasn't against NCST.

I think the bigger points are as follows:

1. He is best around the rim,

2. Huell needs to have that play run for him. We need to get him involved in the offense and he has a better shot.

He's good for one of those at least once per game.

When was the last time he hit one? It wasn't against NCST.

I think the bigger points are as follows:

1. He is best around the rim,

2. Huell needs to have that play run for him. We need to get him involved in the offense and he has a better shot.

I edited my post. He never hits them.

Wouldn't that play be better fit for Huell?

My concern is that if Huell doesn't feel like he is a fit here, he might transfer.

In no way am I saying we should force Huell into the offense. What I am saying, since that play is open and it is run with Murphy, is that we should get that play to Huell. We should want to get Huell involved more. IMO, it is better for his development and his comfort at Miami.

Advertisement

My concern is that if Huell doesn't feel like he is a fit here, he might transfer.

In no way am I saying we should force Huell into the offense. What I am saying, since that play is open and it is run with Murphy, is that we should get that play to Huell. We should want to get Huell involved more. IMO, it is better for his development and his comfort at Miami.

Yes. He seems first to lose PT too. Izundu seems to be taking his spot.

Need to get him at least several looks per game. He did start out decently but lately, even against lesser opponents, seems to vanish fast.

When he's engaged, Murphy plays good defense and rebounds better than most; however, (a) he is far more miss than hit on his jumper which looks ugly every time he hoists one; and (b) there are times and games when he lacks energy. If Murphy continues to play with energy, UM can make some noise.

Coach L avoided the bad non-conference loss(es) that plagued UM 2 years ago. Now if UM can go .500 in league play, they should get a bid (fingers crossed). Agree Huell needs to get more looks on offense, not because he's earned them, but so the outside can be opened up more for DJ and Davon Reed.

Advertisement
When he's engaged, Murphy plays good defense and rebounds better than most; however, (a) he is far more miss than hit on his jumper which looks ugly every time he hoists one; and (b) there are times and games when he lacks energy. If Murphy continues to play with energy, UM can make some noise.

Coach L avoided the bad non-conference loss(es) that plagued UM 2 years ago. Now if UM can go .500 in league play, they should get a bid (fingers crossed). Agree Huell needs to get more looks on offense, not because he's earned them, but so the outside can be opened up more for DJ and Davon Reed.

If Huell isn't hitting shots, giving him looks isn't going to open up anything. Opponents will simply give him the shot (like they give Murphy the foul line jumper that is an automatic brick).

Last edited:

I'm not concerned. Transfers happen constantly these days for myriad reasons. L isn't going to coach to avoid guys from transferring.

Huell is averaging 20.2 minutes per game as a true freshman (Murphy is averaging 27). Huell has started 7 of 13 games, including the ACC opener yesterday. He's averaging 7.2 ppg and 4.5 rpg and 1 blk per game. Murphy is playing a little better at 7.3 ppg and but 7.9 rebounds. Huell needs to improve his rebounding and strength and that comes with age and hitting the weight room. Huell is listed at 6-11, 220 (I don't think he's 220) and Murphy is 6-8, 220 (and I think he's more than 220).

Huell only played 14 minutes yesterday because he likely wasn't a good matchup for NC State's bigs. Murphy, despite his bad jumpers, was 5-9 from the field, 11 points and 10 rebounds in 32 minutes.

Advertisement
Back