Basketball Transfer Thread

Uche Ofoegbu has been offered by Miami. He is a grad transfer but played SF for San Francisco. This one makes no sense too me.

Advertisement
• UM basketball believes it is firmly in the mix (with Southern Cal, Washington and Kansas) for five-star point guard Derryck Thornton, who had a good visit to Miami's campus this past week and is transferring from Duke after one season.

Though he spoke earlier of wanting to play closer to his family's home (he went to high school in Nevada), he has a good relationship with Jim Larranaga and UM’s offense fits his skills. So UM believes it has a legit chance, although not necessarily greater than the other three contenders for him.

Virginia Commonwealth 6-10 forward Michael Gilmore, another transfer option, will visit UM in early June. He produced modest numbers last season (3.2 points, 2.8 rebounds, 11.5 minutes per game).

UM has two scholarships left for next season after James Palmer's transfer to Nebraska. UM is looking at transfers who would need to sit out a year (such as Thornton and Gilmore) and grad transfers who would not.

• UM basketball believes it is firmly in the mix (with Southern Cal, Washington and Kansas) for five-star point guard Derryck Thornton, who had a good visit to Miami's campus this past week and is transferring from Duke after one season.

Though he spoke earlier of wanting to play closer to his family's home (he went to high school in Nevada), he has a good relationship with Jim Larranaga and UM’s offense fits his skills. So UM believes it has a legit chance, although not necessarily greater than the other three contenders for him.

Virginia Commonwealth 6-10 forward Michael Gilmore, another transfer option, will visit UM in early June. He produced modest numbers last season (3.2 points, 2.8 rebounds, 11.5 minutes per game).

UM has two scholarships left for next season after James Palmer's transfer to Nebraska. UM is looking at transfers who would need to sit out a year (such as Thornton and Gilmore) and grad transfers who would not.

Disappointing to say the least.

1. None of this helps with our WEAKEST positions in 2016-17. It does NOTHING for next year either.

2. Assuming you couldn't get any immediate transfers (which wasn't true) and only focusing on the future. Explain Michael Gilmore over someone like Daniel Giddens who was available for a long time before he went to Alabama. Dylan Osetkowski?

Advertisement

Disappointing to say the least.

1. None of this helps with our WEAKEST positions in 2016-17. It does NOTHING for next year either.

2. Assuming you couldn't get any immediate transfers (which wasn't true) and only focusing on the future. Explain Michael Gilmore over someone like Daniel Giddens who was available for a long time before he went to Alabama. Dylan Osetkowski?

I don't get the Thornton hate. Yes he has to sit out a year, but he's a 5 star PG. Those don't come around too often. He'd be the biggest transfer pull in Miami history.

We also don't really need a PG this year. I know you hate Newton, but he is as true a PG that exists in college. Brown and Dejan are also potential PG's (Brown definitely will be a PG in the NBA), and Reed and Lawrence can run the point as well.

I'd kill to get Thornton. If he comes, not only does he sit out, but the ACC forces him to lose a year of eligibility too, because, you know, ACC.

I don't get the Thornton hate. Yes he has to sit out a year, but he's a 5 star PG. Those don't come around too often. He'd be the biggest transfer pull in Miami history.

We also don't really need a PG this year. I know you hate Newton, but he is as true a PG that exists in college. Brown and Dejan are also potential PG's (Brown definitely will be a PG in the NBA), and Reed and Lawrence can run the point as well.

Not sure where you read the "hate" on Thornton. Are you referring to me? I think he is a really darn good PG who has to sit out AND loses an extra year of eligibility (if he transfer to an ACC school). If all things equal (i.e. eligible), I would take him over Newton at PG.

As for Newton, he lacks leadership and is immature (off the court). Other than that, he is a scorer and not anything close to a PG. His defense is pretty bad too. Nobody questions his scoring abilities, I question his ability to lead and distribute the basketball.

Angel was a pretty good PG all things considered and a great leader. Newton was his backup and rightfully so. I don't hate Newton, I just don't think he is the PG we need. I think he is better off the bench. Newton is the ONLY person we have with experience at PG next season, I don't see how Thornton helps us NOW.

Let's say we get Thornton, cool beans. How does he play with Newton in 2017-18? If Newton sucks, great. Thornton is the starter. If Newton ends up being really good, what do you do with Thornton?

How about if we have Brown or Dejan at PG in 2016-17? Do we then move them SG with Thornton?

Not sure where you read the "hate" on Thornton. Are you referring to me? I think he is a really darn good PG who has to sit out AND loses an extra year of eligibility (if he transfer to an ACC school). If all things equal (i.e. eligible), I would take him over Newton at PG.

As for Newton, he lacks leadership and is immature (off the court). Other than that, he is a scorer and not anything close to a PG. His defense is pretty bad too. Nobody questions his scoring abilities, I question his ability to lead and distribute the basketball.

Angel was a pretty good PG all things considered and a great leader. Newton was his backup and rightfully so. I don't hate Newton, I just don't think he is the PG we need. I think he is better off the bench. Newton is the ONLY person we have with experience at PG next season, I don't see how Thornton helps us NOW.

Let's say we get Thornton, cool beans. How does he play with Newton in 2017-18? If Newton sucks, great. Thornton is the starter. If Newton ends up being really good, what do you do with Thornton?

How about if we have Brown or Dejan at PG in 2016-17? Do we then move them SG with Thornton?

My honest guess?

Newton goes pro after this year. Should he? Clearly not, but I think that's what will happens, esp because Thornton is better than him.

Both Brown and Dejan can play the 1 or the 2. I would love to see our starting backcourt in 17-18 be Thornton and Brown, with Dejan as the 6th man

Advertisement
My honest guess?

Newton goes pro after this year. Should he? Clearly not, but I think that's what will happens, esp because Thornton is better than him.

Both Brown and Dejan can play the 1 or the 2. I would love to see our starting backcourt in 17-18 be Thornton and Brown, with Dejan as the 6th man

Okay, so the rest of the post?

My honest guess?

Did I miss something, we're talking about the guard situation for the next 2 years if Thornton commits:

16-17
PG: Newton
SG: Brown
6th: Dejan (combo guard)

17-18
PG: Thornton

My point is that Thornton is almost a must get and would be a huge pickup. Newton could turn pro early, Brown could be 1-and-done. Reserving 1 of our 2 open scholarships for Thornton seems like a smart move for the future.

I agree with your assessment of Newton and his game, but we have what we have at this point. I don't think there is a recruit or grad transfer out there who would really improve the PG position for 16-17, unfortunately.

If only we still had Manu. I hated losing him

I thought Thornton must sit for 2 years if he comes here due to ACC transfer rules. That means Newton would be gone before Thornton is eligible regardless if he leaves early (really really unlikely) or not. Am I missing something?

Last edited:
I thought Thornton must sit for 2 years if he comes here due to ACC transfer rules. That means Newton would be gone before Thornton is eligible regardless if he leaves early (really really unlikely) or not. Am I missing something?

He loses a year of eligibility but only sits out 1 year.

Advertisement
My honest guess?

Did I miss something, we're talking about the guard situation for the next 2 years if Thornton commits:

16-17
PG: Newton

17-18
PG: Thornton

My point is that Thornton is almost a must get and would be a huge pickup. Newton could turn pro early, Brown could be 1-and-done. Reserving 1 of our 2 open scholarships for Thornton seems like a smart move for the future.

I agree with your assessment of Newton and his game, but we have what we have at this point. I don't think there is a recruit or grad transfer out there who would really improve the PG position for 16-17, unfortunately.

If only we still had Manu. I hated losing him

The freshmen can be the best to ever play the game but they're unproven. My point was we don't address one of the most critical needs next season with Thornton.

Newton isnt turning pro after next year. UM bball fans have a bad understanding of how hard it is to play in the NBA

I think cause of the Football draft being 7 round in skews peoples perspectives

Advertisement
Newton isnt turning pro after next year. UM bball fans have a bad understanding of how hard it is to play in the NBA

And you have terrible reading comprehension. I specifically said Newton SHOULD NOT turn pro. What he should do and what he might do are 2 different things, however.

The only one with a bad understanding of anything is you, Mr. "there is a zero percent chance Huell signs with Miami". Your negativity skews your perspective

And you have terrible reading comprehension. I specifically said Newton SHOULD NOT turn pro. What he should do and what he might do are 2 different things, however.

The only one with a bad understanding of anything is you, Mr. "there is a zero percent chance Huell signs with Miami". Your negativity skews your perspective

So your guess is he goes pro why?

Marcus Lee out at Kentucky, guy can protect the rim...

Another case of "wants to play closer to family" according to the CBS sports article about the situation. He's from San Fran. Hopefully he decides to take a trip down to Gables and sees how beautiful the scenery is.

Advertisement
Back