According to 247...

If Garvin is still a three star, that's all I need to know about stars. Give me 3-4 guys like him every class and our D-line would be monsterous, stars be damned.

All of this right here....

Give me a bunch of Garvin and Pickneys an lets work..

JC

Advertisement
I remember this year being very anticlimatic compared to other years. It seems we arent in jeopardy of losing our commits nearly as much as in years past. SEC teams trying to pick off our commits usually resulted in more stars for the recruit. We have 10 guys solid to EE with us. Most of them are better recruits. In years past, November-January we saw our SFL recruits always getting more stars. But not this year.

UM has the 2nd most players in the NFL. One less than LSU who leads. So for all of those guys rating players out of high school and making a lot of money doing so while telling us that are classes are lowly rated go tell the NFL how good you are at rating talent.

Take those numbers and plug them in this equation and you will get the winning lottery numbers as well as our recruiting ranking

View attachment 41430

There's nowhere to plug numbers in.

Here are the instructions for how to plug numbers in

2c6c4113c9ecdcef9560d253a25400c6_-mathematical-formulas-complex-math-clipart_380-380.jpeg

Last Year's class had 10 4-star guys and 9 3-star athletes with a team score of 235.05 (rank 21). Although if you remove Sam Bruce you lose a 4* and the class rank drops to 224.93 (Rank 22).

If you add McFarland, Dean and Thomas to our class, our current class would consist of 8 4-stars and 14 3-stars, with team score of 247.20 (which would be ranked 16th according to last year's finish, and would be 10th in this year's current rankings, as it stands). Although, if we don't add Thomas, the recruiting score on 247 drops to 236.89, pretty similar to last year.

i mean dude.... like i said in one of my threads leave those rankings and stars for the sport sites. stars don't win games or play them. he's either a blue chip player or not, but remember some blue chips drop and some low chips rise you never know the had ahmond high 3 star low 4 and look at him now. i do know once you leave miami they give you a star. if dj wasn't committed to miami he would be 5 star.

Advertisement
If Garvin is still a three star, that's all I need to know about stars. Give me 3-4 guys like him every class and our D-line would be monsterous, stars be damned.

All of this right here....

Give me a bunch of Garvin and Pickneys an lets work..

JC

i know right had pickney as a three star, the games they play for our recruits.and these guys on here was crying than.

Ahmon, Pikney and Shaq are 5* talents. I believe Joe Jackson is as well. Thats a better class than being given credit for.

Last year's class is better than its ranking and so far this year's class is better than its ranking. Hopefully this class will get even better before its said and done.

I agree 2016 performed way above their team ranking, but the low team ranking was in part because it was a small class of 19 players.

2015 - 22 Players, 5 were 4/5 Stars (22%)
2016 - 19 Players, 10 were 4/5 Stars (53%)
2017 - 20 Players, 5 are 4/5 Stars (25%) Need a big finish here

2016 is going to end up a great recruiting class, no question. But as of now, 2016 has as many 4/5 Star players as the 2015 & 2017 combined.

That's why closing more of our top targets is crucial this year. If we don't, there's only so far the 2016 class can carry us, because they won't get enough help from the classes before and after them.

dude this team right now without anyone else is loaded, take your numbers and toss them. all we need is d - lineman and what ever else come our way but your stats is off just like those stars, many of you all m]need to go watch film before you come on here and whinn.

Advertisement
We need a 50% blue chip (4/5-star) ratio to compete for a national title.

Like Washington.

Washington benefited from the Pac-12 being down, and not playing anyone out of conference. Teams can get lucky in a single year where things fall just right, but to consistently be in the hunt, they'll need to consistently get more talented recruits.

What about Michigan State and TCU? Is it possible to be in the hunt by building a team with 4*, 3*,JUCO, transfers and redshirts?

Exactly. For a season or 2, it's possible. But this year MSU went 3-9 and TCU went 6-7. They're well coached teams that can be a threat some years, with some mediocre years in between.

MSU now has to contend with Harbaugh and Meyer. TCU now has to play a Big 12 schedule. To be consistently competitive, they're going to need more talent.

Last edited:
We need a 50% blue chip (4/5-star) ratio to compete for a national title.

We're in the one city where that % just isn't true. You can win titles down here loading your roster with 3 star So Fla kids with some 4 and 5 stars sprinkled on top.

I think you need OOS players for offensive/defensive line, and quarterback. South Florida doesn't produce great quarterbacks just looking at history. Teddy Bridgewater was the best I've seen.

Last Year's class had 10 4-star guys and 9 3-star athletes with a team score of 235.05 (rank 21). Although if you remove Sam Bruce you lose a 4* and the class rank drops to 224.93 (Rank 22).

If you add McFarland, Dean and Thomas to our class, our current class would consist of 8 4-stars and 14 3-stars, with team score of 247.20 (which would be ranked 16th according to last year's finish, and would be 10th in this year's current rankings, as it stands). Although, if we don't add Thomas, the recruiting score on 247 drops to 236.89, pretty similar to last year.

i mean dude.... like i said in one of my threads leave those rankings and stars for the sport sites. stars don't win games or play them. he's either a blue chip player or not, but remember some blue chips drop and some low chips rise you never know the had ahmond high 3 star low 4 and look at him now. i do know once you leave miami they give you a star. if dj wasn't committed to miami he would be 5 star.

This ^ Dingle is a great example! He was a 3* committed to us, but when he opened up his recruitment (and/or committed to Kentucky), he got a 4th *.

Advertisement

This ^ Dingle is a great example! He was a 3* committed to us, but when he opened up his recruitment (and/or committed to Kentucky), he got a 4th *.

Dingle still has 3 stars at 247, FWIW

who cares what they think? they had our fresh lb's as 3 stars. Ahmmon was clearly the best fresh wr in country and they prob had him ranked low.

I agree with you, that these numbers don't mean a whole lot. Just thought it was interesting.

We have all seen what the coaches have done with the 2016 class. They are arguably the most productive recruiting class from last year. I hope that continues to be the case. Many were underrated and I think this class also has several guys that are vastly underrated. Hopefully we can keep developing talent like we have this year.

Interestingly also, if you look at the two teams in the Natty this year, Alabama has consistently had the top class according to 247 for the past several years. Clemson, on the other hand has been in the top 20, but consistently hovered around 15 or so.
Yeah and it took the best QB in the country and a few illegal pick plays to overcome the talent deficiency. Alabama looks like an NFL team ., Hopefully recruit's realize they can go elsewhere and succeed

I'm not one to root for a league usually but acc success may help us

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Advertisement
As a retired "quant", i can't help pointing out that rating/poll statistics assessing quality are usually useful but not sufficient. Obviously, talented players are required, but many unexplained intangibles also impact performance. It's like forecasting the weather ... there is always some unexplainable variation. For instance:

In the twenty-one years (1989 – 2009) that the Associated Press picked twenty-five teams in its Preseason and Final Polls, the best predictions happened in 2001 when the pollsters had a correlation coefficient of 0.75143. The worst year for the pollsters was 1994 when the correlation coefficient was just 0.23232. These ranges show that subjective prediction is anything but certain. I'll bet the star system provides even more randomness. There's something to them, but they certainly don't explain everything!

Dingle still has 3 stars at 247, FWIW

And he was always a 4 star on espn, so really nothing has changed.

Advertisement
Back