According to 247...

Advertisement
247's rankings for Miami's class were pretty good in 2016.

Richards, Shaq, Jackson, MCloud, Homer - they were all 4 Stars. Pickney was the only 3 Star guy who made a major contribution.

Year in and year out, our better players are consistently our higher rated players. So barring a very strong finish, this years class is concerning.

HI, Malek Young here 3*

I do like Young, but I wouldn't call him a "major" contributor. I don't think he's done enough (yet) that show's he's definitely better than a 3 Star player.

Some of you kill me. and moan about 3 stars going elsewhere but then turn around and about our recruiting ranking not behind high enough.

247's rankings for Miami's class were pretty good in 2016.

Richards, Shaq, Jackson, MCloud, Homer - they were all 4 Stars. Pickney was the only 3 Star guy who made a major contribution.

Year in and year out, our better players are consistently our higher rated players. So barring a very strong finish, this years class is concerning.

HI, Malek Young here 3*

I do like Young, but I wouldn't call him a "major" contributor. I don't think he's done enough (yet) that show's he's definitely better than a 3 Star player.

I would disagree with you,as Young started at cornerback for quite a bit of the year, so as a freshman with lots of room to get much better, which he will I guess we can agree to disagree.

Advertisement
we've seen what the freshmen did this year so who cares what they were ranked? clearly better than what they were ranked as

Advertisement
Ahmon, Pikney and Shaq are 5* talents. I believe Joe Jackson is as well. Thats a better class than being given credit for.

Last year's class is better than its ranking and so far this year's class is better than its ranking. Hopefully this class will get even better before its said and done.

Amen

What you see on tape and stars almost directly correlate with each other, however there are some misnomers within the system. Some people like to call it SEC bias, but honestly if you don't have good combine numbers or a recruit is raw at a position (Garvin) the sites will not give you the stars.

All of us knew the three true freshman were the real deal even with Pinckney being rated a 3 star, still 4/5 star recruits will typically always pan out better or be more talented...there are no diamonds in the rough with the amount of exposure kids receive. If you want to guage a kids true potential, the offer sheet is almost always your best bet.

For how many years have we as canes fans talked up our 3 stars to be the next godsend or to be unfairly ranked....and how many times have those 3 stars usually panned out to be JAGS. Pretty often I would say. Bottomline is if you don't get the 4/5 stars you aren't elite. The difference this year is we have coaches who can..well coach, so the development of the 3 stars has been better than the past.

The end all be all is not stars but gott**** does it play a huge role in a players ability to contribute. Just watch Clemson vs. Alabama tonight....their special teamers are 4/5 star kids who would start for us (in positions of need) day 1...and those kids ride the pine. Until we get to their recruiting level, combined with elite coaching..we will continue to be "on the rise".

My .02

Take those numbers and plug them in this equation and you will get the winning lottery numbers as well as our recruiting ranking

text99.webp

Advertisement
We need a 50% blue chip (4/5-star) ratio to compete for a national title.

Yup. People get caught up in the fact that a few dudes play above their * ranking. It's great that we've got these guys who are better than the services thought they were, but we still need to start getting that average up if we want to win a NC.

Advertisement
If Garvin is still a three star, that's all I need to know about stars. Give me 3-4 guys like him every class and our D-line would be monsterous, stars be damned.

Like Washington.

Washington benefited from the Pac-12 being down, and not playing anyone out of conference. Teams can get lucky in a single year where things fall just right, but to consistently be in the hunt, they'll need to consistently get more talented recruits.

What about Michigan State and TCU? Is it possible to be in the hunt by building a team with 4*, 3*,JUCO, transfers and redshirts?

We're in the one city where that % just isn't true. You can win titles down here loading your roster with 3 star So Fla kids with some 4 and 5 stars sprinkled on top.

Recruiting sites undervalue a lot of So Fla talent because
1) it's being compared against other So Fla talent (competition level) and
2) there are too many D1 kids in that area to give legit 4 and 5 star ratings to.

We're in the one city where that % just isn't true. You can win titles down here loading your roster with 3 star So Fla kids with some 4 and 5 stars sprinkled on top.

Recruiting sites undervalue a lot of So Fla talent because
1) it's being compared against other So Fla talent (competition level) and
2) there are too many D1 kids in that area to give legit 4 and 5 star ratings to.

Look no further than Garvin. Kid absolutely destroyed it this year, and can't get that 4th star. If they gave 4 stars to every SFLA kid that deserved one, they wouldn't sell magazines and online subscriptions outside the southeast. They need to appear to be unbiased. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of talent in other places, but the concentration of 4 star talent in SFLA absolutely blows away the rest of the country. So yeah, there are 3 star SFLA kids that would get that 4th star if they were from somewhere else.

Advertisement
Back