A note on the Portal...

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
As you see names hop in, just know that Miami is taking a high-level, innovative and extremely aggressive approach to the Portal.

Everybody is aware of the results and they realize that we need drastic solutions. I am excited about the process. We will give you the most accurate information as this team is remade.

Advertisement
As you see names hop in, just know that Miami is taking a high-level, innovative and extremely aggressive approach to the Portal.

Everybody is aware of the results and they realize that we need drastic solutions. I am excited about the process. We will give you the most accurate information as this team is remade.

But this post seems to contradict our ability to mope about every detail of the baseball team over the past few years...

Good to hear, @DMoney as this seems to be consistent with what I've heard. JD wasn't my first choice, but I always root for Miami to succeed and I hope he can pull off a huge turnaround.

Super super low on the JD hire to begin with. I thought he was deserving of being fired as the pitching coach before getting the HC job.

But I do like the staff he has in place. I like the new analytics they’ve introduced and only scratched the surface on their capabilities in year 1. I like the fight we had in Charlotte. Some solid and superstar pieces coming back (I hope) and as usual we’re very highly rated in recruiting. The new NCAA rules allowing scholarships to all athletes will really bolster us in general and level the playing field to other in-state schools

He was also handcuffed to the portal in year 1 due to timing of when he was hired. If they’re going to be super aggressive in the portal and remake the roster.. definitely willing to buy in for year 2 and see what happens. If Cyr, Cuvet, and Torres stick around, maybe Dorian comes back and make some solid additions it could be a dangerous lineup. I think pitching has a long way to go and don’t know they can do it all through the portal.

Absolutely! I think JD has the emotion of a down comforter, but if he makes an effort to get it right, I support him. He wears the Miami uniform. Not like I am going to move to another team. You may not watch it, but you also are not going to go buy a Tennesse jersey.

Advertisement
Long overdue. If they want to do this right, Cuvet is a top 10 pick unless something unforeseen happens. We need to surround him with the right guys. If they do it right there’s no reason we shouldn’t be hosting a regional next year. Cuvet’s numbers may take a hit next year as he’ll probably see more intentional walks. He needs to be protected in the lineup. Excited for what’s to come.

Advertisement
Hopefully that includes bringing back atleast Cuvet and Cyr
Blake is in the portal. As you guys know, I have (had) an NIL with him since last year and have developed a nice relationship with him over that time. I got a call from his agent (former Cane) last week to tell me. Without getting into details, he said (for what it is worth), that it was not about JD or the Staff, and that Blake needed a change. Beyond his father dying suddenly and an injury, he stated that he had gone through some serious personal issues. Blake, as you guys know, has had a very tough life, but committed to UM at 14. I don't know what happened, but it really hurt me (unlike my NIL with Brashard - who I really didn't have a relationship with - I really grew to like this young man alot). The whole NIL stemmed from my 8 year old, who loves Canes baseball and Blake (a fav with the kids), immediately became his favorite player. Aside from having orange and green everything in his room, he printed out pictures from the Internet and has plastered them all over his room. He wore number 4 for Little League this year. I haven't even told him yet, because it is going to be hard for him to understand. This is the really tough part of sports. I don't know the details, I'm not a JD fan (as a pitching coach or otherwise), and not sure what to think. But if I believe Blake's agent, it wasn't about JD or the Staff, but a personal issue. That's all I know boys. Tough stuff and now I have to sack up and explain this to an 8 year old.

While I kind of expected this and probably 1 more that is going to hurt it still sucks.

If he ends up at FSU/UF it will be an even bigger kick in the junk

Advertisement
Cyr probably heads to Florida to kick the sh&* of us and gets to play the infield since he doesn't fit our prototype.

But I do like the staff he has in place. I like the new analytics they’ve introduced and only scratched the surface on their capabilities in year 1. I like the fight we had in Charlotte. Some solid and superstar pieces coming back (I hope) and as usual we’re very highly rated in recruiting. The new NCAA rules allowing scholarships to all athletes will really bolster us in general and level the playing field to other in-state schools

He was also handcuffed to the portal in year 1 due to timing of when he was hired. If they’re going to be super aggressive in the portal and remake the roster.. definitely willing to buy in for year 2 and see what happens. If Cyr, Cuvet, and Torres stick around, maybe Dorian comes back and make some solid additions it could be a dangerous lineup. I think pitching has a long way to go and don’t know they can do it all through the portal.

But but but, this one arrogant porster keeps telling me that this isn't an issue...

Advertisement
Blake is in the portal. As you guys know, I have (had) an NIL with him since last year and have developed a nice relationship with him over that time. I got a call from his agent (former Cane) last week to tell me. Without getting into details, he said (for what it is worth), that it was not about JD or the Staff, and that Blake needed a change. Beyond his father dying suddenly and an injury, he stated that he had gone through some serious personal issues. Blake, as you guys know, has had a very tough life, but committed to UM at 14. I don't know what happened, but it really hurt me (unlike my NIL with Brashard - who I really didn't have a relationship with - I really grew to like this young man alot). The whole NIL stemmed from my 8 year old, who loves Canes baseball and Blake (a fav with the kids), immediately became his favorite player. Aside from having orange and green everything in his room, he printed out pictures from the Internet and has plastered them all over his room. He wore number 4 for Little League this year. I haven't even told him yet, because it is going to be hard for him to understand. This is the really tough part of sports. I don't know the details, I'm not a JD fan (as a pitching coach or otherwise), and not sure what to think. But if I believe Blake's agent, it wasn't about JD or the Staff, but a personal issue. That's all I know boys. Tough stuff and now I have to sack up and explain this to an 8 year old.
Best of luck to him no matter what

Preemptive "we got this" thread, followed by the typical "we shouldn't mope about things we should clearly be ****ed about" post ...

Only to find out within 3 posts that one of our best players is in the portal...

We have FSU's turnaround blueprint -- other than the hiring of a successful coach part...

No excuses

Last edited:
This sucks for us. The guy is really easy for me to root for given all he has been going through. We'll see where he ends up.

Advertisement
Back