#6 Virginia @ #22 Miami (UVA -2.5) 12/20, 8:30PM EST, ACCN/ESPN+

We’re a month into the season. No one is comfortable out there offensively besides wong and that is because he’s a certified bucket getter. If we’re still having these talks in February it’s concerning

The beauty of it is… guys haven’t gelled yet but we’re still very good offensively. Imagine if/when they do

Advertisement
Yep. But we all know that. This team is one serviceable, physical "big" away from being a title competitor. Omier can't be the only physical interior presence.

Prolly too much to think Walker or Casey or Aire can fill that role this season.
Walker is 6'8ish and was supposed to be that guy but his hoop IQ is bad and getting worse, you can see the athleticism but his play is frustrating to watch

I agree. However, he was 1st Team All Big 12 last year and he looks uncomfortable and tentative at times.

I was expecting him to be playing at the level Wong's at right now. Wong has elevated his game in his parameter shootings and assists. He's definitely improved his draft stock.
Wong is a bigger, more explosive athlete than Pack. Pack doesn't create as well off the dribble, and his jumper requires a ton of room. I think a lot of people overestimated what Pack is. He can hit big shots, he's a quality ball handler, but he isn't a plus athlete. Frankly, Joseph is a better athlete.

Walker is 6'8ish and was supposed to be that guy but his hoop IQ is bad and getting worse, you can see the athleticism but his play is frustrating to watch
Yep. Despite his size, Walker prefers to hang around the 3 pt arc, or dunk on run outs. Not a player who has been know to baltle inside like Omier does so well. Don't think Casey will be that type of 4 either. Hopefully, Aire will eventually provide more of what we need..

Advertisement

Walker gets brain lock against high level comp so far this year. I think it’s from pressing too hard. I’m not smart enough to say he’s totally a lost cause - but right now Casey provides more AND has a much higher ceiling.

I hope Walker can un-pretzel his brain and prove all of us wrong.

Nice win last night despite the last minute near collapse. I was most impressed that we didn't panic when they cut it to 1 around the 8 minute mark. Omier will have to stay out of foul trouble in big games or we'll be vulnerable.
If we could get Pack going offensively, get some more contributions from the bench, and Nacho staying out of foul trouble then we will be dangerous the rest of the year.

We’re a month into the season. No one is comfortable out there offensively besides wong and that is because he’s a certified bucket getter. If we’re still having these talks in February it’s concerning

The beauty of it is… guys haven’t gelled yet but we’re still very good offensively. Imagine if/when they do
I would add Omier. He knows his game. The problem he sometimes has is that he is a PF being asked to basically play center so some games he has a tough matchup for his size.
Miller is interesting in that he’s basically our Cedric Ceballos. A garbage ball player who is good without ever having a play run for him.

Advertisement
Another nice write-up! I might add I've been impressed with Wake Forest; a nice win over Wisconsin and (then tonight) made Duke look bad. I wouldn't be surprised to see them give VT a run which is next date up for them, although they (WF) have had a couple stinky nights too this year (got crushed by Rutgers.)
and just a day later nbr. 21 VT just got upset (in OT) to 6-6 BC!! couple other spots also opened, be cool to see where we land next week!

I would add Omier. He knows his game. The problem he sometimes has is that he is a PF being asked to basically play center so some games he has a tough matchup for his size.
Miller is interesting in that he’s basically our Cedric Ceballos. A garbage ball player who is good without ever having a play run for him.
Love Jordan's game because he's skilled enough to have sets ran for him, but he gets most of his stuff off the muscle. Very important skill that not a lot of players can or are willing to do. I like the Ceballos comparison. Has a little Robert Horry in him too. Seems he makes big plays in big moments. Hope he continues his hard hat/lunch pale mentality.

We knew Omier would have some match up problems playing in the ACC. It is what it is. I do like what I've seen from him thus far, but would like to see him develop some moves facing the basket. Seems most of what he does is back to the basket or a put back off an offensive rebound, but if he can't overpower a defender he's limited offensively. We're going to need him to be a threat on the blocks, high post and/or short corner, if we're going to have great success later in the season. The team has the next few days off, so I hope he's living in the lab working on his game and not on the party scene this weekend.

GO CANES!!!

Love Jordan's game because he's skilled enough to have sets ran for him, but he gets most of his stuff off the muscle. Very important skill that not a lot of players can or are willing to do. I like the Ceballos comparison. Has a little Robert Horry in him too. Seems he makes big plays in big moments. Hope he continues his hard hat/lunch pale mentality.

We knew Omier would have some match up problems playing in the ACC. It is what it is. I do like what I've seen from him thus far, but would like to see him develop some moves facing the basket. Seems most of what he does is back to the basket or a put back off an offensive rebound, but if he can't overpower a defender he's limited offensively. We're going to need him to be a threat on the blocks, high post and/or short corner, if we're going to have great success later in the season. The team has the next few days off, so I hope he's living in the lab working on his game and not on the party scene this weekend.

GO CANES!!!
Great point about Omier. When i watch him play I keep hearing an NBA scout telling him to return to college next year to develop his 3 point shot, or at least a face up jump shot.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back