3-Star Offensive Lineman Plazz Commits to Miami Hurricanes' 2024 Recruiting Class

View as article
Advertisement
He’s petty as ****. Which I want from my HC. I’ve heard he’s taken a kid or two just to give a coach a middle finger.
I’ve never met the man. I have no inside sources.

But you can absolutely tell he is THAT type of guy just listening to him talk about things. One reason I tend to stay optimistic about recruiting is I know Mario takes it personally.

Underrated point here. Reality is with the portal/NIL, you have to croot kids to come back every year. High 4 and 5 star kids are more likely to jump ship if not getting early playtime (one of the few things we can sell and obv there's limited starting spots). And we all know depth issues have plagued us for years. I'll always prefer a higher star guy but if Mario/Zo are doing their jobs right this will pay some dividends down the road. That said there is a limit to how many high potential 3 stars we should be taking. Time for some 5 stars to finish this class
Couldn’t agree more! Now it’s time as I’ve said for us to close on Trader, Patterson, Franklin, Jones, Cole and more. Those names will land this class close to the top 10. I think we will flip a kid or two and maybe a couple kids bounce and we add. But the first 5 names need to be closed on. Pay!

The one thing this staff may be ahead of the curve in is taking developmental kids like the two O lineman and as pointed out by people like D money the staff is tired of seeing kids 3 stars with NFL measures that end up drafted from other programs

Welcome to the U!

Don’t understand all the star whores who look at just the “3*” and then don’t provide any insight about the “project player” in reference to what they dislike or like on the players film.
I know nothing about high school classifications, so I assume the 3* ranking is because he's playing against bums? He's huge, athletic and looks to bury the people he blocks - as far as my ability to evaluate HS OLinemen that's about all I know to look for... he seems to fit the bill.

Advertisement
I know nothing about high school classifications, so I assume the 3* ranking is because he's playing against bums? He's huge, athletic and looks to bury the people he blocks - as far as my ability to evaluate HS OLinemen that's about all I know to look for... he seems to fit the bill.
Not unlike Kinsler last year

The stars thing should be a dead issue by now, especially with O Line. How many highly-rated guys have we gotten that didn't pan out? Even Seantrel, who is one of the highest-rated guys we've ever had at any position, didn't really reach his potential here. Instead, let's look at coaching and if you're looking for some assurance, look at the other two programs that recruited him hardest - Pedo and NC State - they have consistently put O linemen in the draft.

Derryc might be a 3 star but so what? Other top programs also wanted him, he's going to a proven O Line coach, will be surrounded and influenced by last year's monster O Line class and the veterans, and he's a big-time recruit despite playing in a bad HS program. We should be happy as **** he's coming here!
Lol this is cis.

don’t you know bama n Georgia only take 5 stars? (Sarcasm)

Anyone who’s followed recruiting for more than two years knows that ol and qb recruiting is different

Advertisement
Zo has signed off on every one of these kids. I trust his ability to identify and evaluate. They are clearly pursuing certain traits regardless of star rating. Having desirable traits like measurables, athleticism and the ability to play several positions should increase the odds to develop into producing players.
Not all of them. They’ve had their fair share of disagreements internally between Alonzo, position coaches, coordinators, and head coach.

Someone eventually wins out and gets their way.

Not sure if Plazz is one of them or not but Mirabal and Mario are identifying and taking whatever they want on OL with or without Zo’s input. And I’m fine with that because there aren’t 5 better OL recruiters or developers in the country better than either of them.

Raines has slipped a bit, a lot more of the Jacksonville population is out around the perimeter. Lots of non-downtown schools are rising.

Bolles is a private school. They've always been pretty good in both football and baseball. I used to teach SAT prep courses there.
Coached football there for 10 years.

Congrats to Plazz. Hope he comes here and kills it.

On a side note, I'm curious as to where this narrative about Mario being a top evaluator of lower-ranked talent is coming from. That obviously wasn't something he showed during his time at Bama under Saban. The only players Mario recruited to Oregon who become first round or Day 2 draft picks were:

- OT Penei Sewell, a high 4* and top 75 overall recruit who went 7th overall in the 2021 draft.
- DE Kayvon Thibodeaux, a 5* and the #2 overall recruit in 2019 who went 5th overall in the 2022 draft.
- S Jevon Holland, a rock solid 4* and top 150 overall recruit who became the 36th overall pick in the 2021 draft.

If you zero in on his bread and butter by looking at Oregon's current OL to see how players he recruited to that program are expected to do this year, you'll see that 2 of their 5 starters are transfers brought in by Lanning. Their LT, Josh Conerly, is a 5* who committed to Oregon months after Lanning first arrived. The other two starters along their OL are:

[BGCOLOR=initial]- C Jackson Powers-Johnson, a former rock solid 4* and top 200 overall recruit signed by Mario & Mirabal, who's one of the top returning guards in the nation. [/BGCOLOR]
- RG Steven Jones, a former 4* and top 250 overall recruit signed by Cristobal, who's also a returning starter.

If Mario has some secret sauce for evaluating lower-ranked players, that would be great for us. But it's also not something he's proven and it certainly isn't why he has the reputation he possesses as a great recruiter.

Yet he won PAC12 titles and beat traditional powerhouses like OSU in their house.

Top to bottom he knows what players can play at the level he wants and knows how to achieve that without Bama-level recruiting.

the sopranos smile GIF

Advertisement
Look at the offers, not the stars. Look at Mario’s entire career of developing and sending kids to the league. If you’re going to mope about a kid because a website puts 3 stars in from of their name then knock yourself out. We beat NC State and Penn State for this kid while other programs are taking a strong look at him in a year where Tackles aren’t really available. I am good with this take.

Serious question. Do we have stats on “development”?

Here’s the Oregon recent drafts:

Oregon Drafts:

2019: (4) 4th, 5th and 2 7ths
2020: (4) Herbert in the 1st; 4th, 5th and 6th
2021: (5) Penei Sewell in the 1st; a high 2nd, 5th, and 2 6ths
2022: (1) Thibs in the 1st
2023: (6) 1st (Lanning portal), DJ Johnson in 3rd, 5th, 6th and 2 7th (1 Lanning portal)

Advertisement
It’s cool that you like the take
At the same time many do not
Both sides are valid
I don’t know why it’s trolling to be upset about another 3 star
The definition of trolling is saying something outrageous or blatantly wrong to get a reaction out of people
Being concerned with another mid tier 3 star recruit is valid and is not trolling
It's the middle of a class and you guys keep complaining about star ratings. We have historically clowned the rival gators on this board for doing just that and now every commitment we have to see this bs. It's annoying to the trolling level.

I didn't even have Mario Cristobal as my first choice as a head coach but I'm not going to be complaining about his Ol Evals. That's 1 thing I know he knows how to do. **** sure ain't gonna complain about a **** kid like this from Duval of all places.

You realize that's Gator , fsu, Clemson tiger country?.

Not all of them. They’ve had their fair share of disagreements internally between Alonzo, position coaches, coordinators, and head coach.

Someone eventually wins out and gets their way.

Not sure if Plazz is one of them or not but Mirabal and Mario are identifying and taking whatever they want on OL with or without Zo’s input. And I’m fine with that because there aren’t 5 better OL recruiters or developers in the country better than either of them.

I like this. Whenever you have a room of accomplished men, there should be some disagreements. As long as it's done with respect and acknowledging what each brings to the table, that can only make an organization stronger.

Advertisement
Back