3-Star Offensive Lineman Plazz Commits to Miami Hurricanes' 2024 Recruiting Class

View as article
The stars thing should be a dead issue by now, especially with O Line. How many highly-rated guys have we gotten that didn't pan out? Even Seantrel, who is one of the highest-rated guys we've ever had at any position, didn't really reach his potential here. Instead, let's look at coaching and if you're looking for some assurance, look at the other two programs that recruited him hardest - Pedo and NC State - they have consistently put O linemen in the draft.

Derryc might be a 3 star but so what? Other top programs also wanted him, he's going to a proven O Line coach, will be surrounded and influenced by last year's monster O Line class and the veterans, and he's a big-time recruit despite playing in a bad HS program. We should be happy as **** he's coming here!

I've questioned so much of what Cristobal has done and doubted his "super recruiter" rep that I've been accused of being a sleeper agent for the UC Santa Cruz Banana Slugs. But the one thing I feel good about is Cristobals ability to identify OL talent. As others have said, OL is the one area where stars and production are not that closely correlated. QB and WR is the exact opposite - 5 stars to have a higher hit rate. I dont think you need 5 stars across the OL, but mixing 3,4, and 5 stars to find the best starting combo is ok by me.

Advertisement
O’Cyrus Torrence just went 59th overall in the NFL draft and was ranked way lower than this dude in HS.

If you need an even closer to home example, the very school we were battling this dude for, NC State, took a kid who was ranked over 600th in the country, the 33rd ranked guard, somebody nobody really wanted and turned him into the #6 overall pick. Maybe somebody in Raleigh knows what they’re doing. They wanted this kid. They didn’t get him. Mario did.

Advertisement
This class is filled with potential and kids who I’m sure they feel won’t transfer. Now, the final spots for the big fish. Trader Patterson Franklin and others to level this thing out. We will also flip a couple kids as well in my opinion. Mario can recruit. If this team wins 8 or 9 games the finish will be real good

The Miami Hurricanes secured their 16th commitment for their 2024 recruiting class on Friday afternoon in the form of Deryc Plazz, a three-star offensive lineman hailing from Andrew Jackson HS in Jacksonville.

Plazz, who is listed at 6-foot-5 and 289 pounds, is expected to play as a tackle at the collegiate level, bringing a combination of size, agility, and smarts that projects him as a nice project for OL coach Alex Mirabal to work with.

Plazz becomes the second offensive lineman to commit to the Miami Hurricanes’ 2024 recruiting class, joining Juan Minaya from New Jersey. The addition of Plazz to the Miami class comes after a recruitment period during which he visited several potential suitors. Alongside Miami, Plazz also made visits to North Carolina State and Penn State, two programs with recent success developing NFL-type linemen. He was actually committed to Penn State for a brief period as well.

According to the 247Sports composite rankings, Plazz is rated as the #79 offensive tackle in the nation and the #1017 player overall.

We got 2 five star OTs last year we ain’t getting no big time highly touted tackle this year so this addition to a developmental player is awesome I love how Mario showin love to OLINE all we do is stack. NOW we need D-line to reflect that get one decent corner a year and a competent QB that’s all I can ask for

we dunno the end result here yet but the difference in body type that we're recruiting, regardless of stars is evident

3* anez cooper 6'6 350
3* tommy kinsler 6'6 330
3* frankie tinilau 6'5 315
3* juan minaya 6'6 335
3* deryc plazz 6'5 289

At least 3, and I’d say 4 (Tinilau), move better than they should given their height/weight. Big dudes who move well. Mirabal has repeated it in multiple interviews. He pays attention to their mobility and tries not to compromise on athleticism. Clearly, we needed to get bigger. I’m just happy they’re focused on good feet. I didn’t notice Minaya as being great with his feet in the highlight film, but perhaps I missed something. I think he’s the outlier. Maybe they saw room for improvement with better nutrition and development, or maybe they simply sought a straight mauler. I’m interested to see how that evaluation fits in to the pattern.

Advertisement
Welcome to The U! Hope he has a great Senior year, stays healthy then gets ready to come in, train learn and contribute to our rebirth!

This class is filled with potential and kids who I’m sure they feel won’t transfer.
Underrated point here. Reality is with the portal/NIL, you have to croot kids to come back every year. High 4 and 5 star kids are more likely to jump ship if not getting early playtime (one of the few things we can sell and obv there's limited starting spots). And we all know depth issues have plagued us for years. I'll always prefer a higher star guy but if Mario/Zo are doing their jobs right this will pay some dividends down the road. That said there is a limit to how many high potential 3 stars we should be taking. Time for some 5 stars to finish this class

There’s not 70 tackles better than this kid, let’s be honest. Needs to get stronger and clean up technique, but all linemen in HS need to.
OL is without a doubt the most difficult position to play well in college football. It is almost impossible to legally block the monster DE's and DT's that are being developed today, with their combination of speed and strength. Crazy specimens. Hard to appreciate just watching TV.

Advertisement
Welcome to the U!

Hey Pedo State…

IMG_0388.gif

Let’s not be silly enough to expect a Mauigoa and Samson type OL class each year. We have to have good evals and develop kids with the measurables we like.

Kid has big potential, and OL is the one unit our program is more than capable of developing with M&M at the helm.

We will land a Top 10 class when it’s all said and done. No reason to believe otherwise.

But we need some elite DTs - badly.

I’m a little less concerned with this staff getting 3 stars when it pertains to the O-Line, especially with Mario/Mirabal. Plus, with the haul we brought in last year they’re probably thinking they can take some chances with this O-Line class. Now there are some 3 stars in this class who do concern me greatly...cough Russell cough.

Advertisement
Just watched for the first time. I really like the pick up but you can definitely tell he’s had zero coaching. Zilch. Zero technique. But he’s enormous and carries it well. Country strong. He has great flexibility and bend. Almost wonder if he could give DL a go. He can get very low at his size for leverage.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to what he looks like senior year after some coaching.

Advertisement
Back