2017, who do you start at DE?

SDE - Demetrius Jackson or DJ Johnson - Recruit

DT - (1 of RJ Mcintosh or Kendrick Norton) - Pat Bethel - Recruit

DT - Jonathan Ford - Tyreic Martin - Recruit - Ryan Fines

DE - Joe Jackson - Jonathan Garvin or Scott Patchan

Mcintosh looks like hes gunna be gone after this season. Wouldn't surprise me if Demetrius Jackson left if he has a good year as well.

Advertisement
SDE- Chad Thomas/ Demetrius Jackson/ Jonathan Garvin/ Scott Patchan

DT- RJ McIntosh/ Gerald Willis/ Jon Ford
DT- Kendrick Norton/ Tyreic Martin/ Elijah Conliffe

WDE- Joe Jackson/ DJ Johnson/ Trent Harris/ Pat Bethel

Keep in mind, you can practically rotate & move nearly every DL we have to either side in multiple fronts & different looks.

There's packages where we could literally have Chad, JJack, DJ & Garvin, or DJack, RJ, DJ & JJack etc, all on the field at the same time...

You can mix up the rotations however you like...

This is what Kool recruits with Lineman, he doesn't want a bunch fat slow lumbering 330lbs slobs that can only play NT... He likes fast athletic lineman that can move, get up the field & are versatile enough to play all 4 DL spots.

I'd be inclined to flip Garvin and DJ Johnson, but we shall see when they go live. I think DJ Johnson is a prototype fit for what Chad's been asked to do. I think Garvin actually fits what they would have wanted from AQM.

SDE - Chad Thomas - Trent Harris or DJ Johnson

DT - RJ Mcintosh - Gerald Willis - Jonathan Ford or Pat Bethel

DT Kendrick Norton - Anthony Moten - Tyreic Martin - Ryan Fines

DE - Demetrius Jackson - Joe Jackson - Jonathan Garvin or Scott Patchan

Thoughts:

1. Should be the best D-Line in the country, hands down. The 2 Deep at DE and DT would all be starters at almost any Power 5 school, not to mention DJ Johnson could be a starting freshman at alot of schools

2. I think Bethel or DJ get moved inside. Bethel is currently listed as 6'3 260. After the offseason he prob puts on 15-20 more lbs as a true Sophomore. By 2018 he could be a perfect DT in a 4-3 attacking system.

3. All of the 2 deeps will get significant playing time and you could flip flop Joe Jackson and Demetrius. I'm sure we'll have some sort of injuries as well.

I'm with all of this except for D-Jax starting over Joe Jackson. You just can't keep Joe's impact off the field even if it's a 50-30-20 split with Joe-Jax/D-Jax/Trent Harris.

Easily the best DL in the country and perhaps the best I've seen at UM in a long, long time. Let's see how they produce together.

Jackson is nowhere near being a DT, what are some of y'all smoking ?

He's what 6'4 263 as a redshirt sophomore? If he keeps growing there definitely is a chance but let's face it he nor no other defensive end should start in front of joe Jackson next year. Djack had 2.5 sacks on the season with the 1st 2 coming in game one vs bcu.... He's not one of our top pass rushers right now at end and will most likely be further down that list when dj Johnson and Garvin gets here. He's a pretty good run defender and affects passing lanes with his active hands

Last edited:
Advertisement
SDE- Chad Thomas/ Demetrius Jackson/ Jonathan Garvin/ Scott Patchan

DT- RJ McIntosh/ Gerald Willis/ Jon Ford
DT- Kendrick Norton/ Tyreic Martin/ Elijah Conliffe

WDE- Joe Jackson/ DJ Johnson/ Trent Harris/ Pat Bethel

Keep in mind, you can practically rotate & move nearly every DL we have to either side in multiple fronts & different looks.

There's packages where we could literally have Chad, JJack, DJ & Garvin, or DJack, RJ, DJ & JJack etc, all on the field at the same time...

You can mix up the rotations however you like...

This is what Kool recruits with Lineman, he doesn't want a bunch fat slow lumbering 330lbs slobs that can only play NT... He likes fast athletic lineman that can move, get up the field & are versatile enough to play all 4 DL spots.

I'd be inclined to flip Garvin and DJ Johnson, but we shall see when they go live. I think DJ Johnson is a prototype fit for what Chad's been asked to do. I think Garvin actually fits what they would have wanted from AQM.
I don't disagree with that at all, I just posted the, based on how they're listed coming in...

As a recruit, DJ is a WDE & Garvin is Strong Side...

But as I said in the post, "you can practically rotate & move around nearly every DL we have to either side".

No way Joe Jackson isn't starting. I think the other DE position has more competition. It will be interesting to see what Kul can do with another off season.

Dont care who starts. I want a rotation of 5 or 6 guys that Kool can put in and you wouldnt see a dropoff in play.

He's what 6'4 263 as a redshirt sophomore? If he keeps growing there definitely is a chance but let's face it he nor no other defensive end should start in front of joe Jackson next year. Djack had 2.5 sacks on the season with the 1st 2 coming in game one vs bcu.... He's not one of our top pass rushers right now at end and will most likely be further down that list when dj Johnson and Garvin gets here. He's a pretty good run defender and affects passing lanes with his active hands

He is a redshirt junior. Clearly you dont understand football. It took him 3 years to get to 262 from 220-225 and now all of a sudden you think he becomes a DT in about 6 months? Jackson doesnt have the body typr for a DT.

If anything bethel moves inside. He was at 260 as only a true freshmen and look at his body type compared to jackson. Bethel looks bigger and has a wider frame.

Last edited:
Advertisement

He is a redshirt junior. Clearly you dont understand football. It took him 3 years to get to 262 from 220-225 and now all of a sudden you think he becomes a DT in about 6 months? Jackson doesnt have the body typr for a DT.

If anything bethel moves inside. He was at 260 as only a true freshmen and look at his body type compared to jackson. Bethel looks bigger and has a wider frame.

This

I think any DC worth something will start his senior five star DE Chad and Senior 4 star DE Trent Harris. I don't see any reason why they would not be starting

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think any DC worth something will start his senior five star DE Chad and Senior 4 star DE Trent Harris. I don't see any reason why they would not be starting

Because Joseph Jackson is the most dynamic de we have. You start your best players

Advertisement

Point still remains he's at best 5th in terms of peer pass rushers on this roster at dend and will probably be lower than that when Garvin and dj get here... Jackson has 2 more years to play after this one, he's a redshirt sophomore. You act like him playing dtackle is the worst thing ever. Coach kool likes to have athletic dtackles who can move well.

I like the idea of two senior starters at DE with the Jackson twins backing them up.

Garvin, Johnson, Patchan, Bethel...one of these guys might want to find a new position imo

SDE - Demetrius Jackson or DJ Johnson - Recruit

DT - (1 of RJ Mcintosh or Kendrick Norton) - Pat Bethel - Recruit

DT - Jonathan Ford - Tyreic Martin - Recruit - Ryan Fines

DE - Joe Jackson - Jonathan Garvin or Scott Patchan

Mcintosh looks like hes gunna be gone after this season. Wouldn't surprise me if Demetrius Jackson left if he has a good year as well.

Why is it that we and the players are always talking about leaving early! **** do something outside of self!!! Bama has a team of upperclassmen on defense! That's what we used to do

Advertisement
Back