2016-2017 Basketball

Don't understand the Murphy hate. He was arguably our best defender for most of the season and was probably the toughest guy on the team. There is zero chance he doesn't start next year

Arguably our best defender? Based on what? A few help blocks in transition? The guy got molested in half court sets and punished by anyone with size 1 on 1.

Advertisement
Murphy was real solid in the tournament. Just didn't have help from any other big.

The **** is this guy talking about?

Real solid? lmao He had 10 combined points vs Nova and Wichita and still got his **** pushed in on defense. With Murphy on the floor we played 4 vs 5 on offense.

No way Lawrence does not start next year. He is very talented and a match up nightmare, he is also very poised. I think that Newton should stay as the sixth man. His current game is not a true point guard. I think he fits coming off the bench and trying to score for us as opposed to running our offense. I don't understand the hate with Palmer. Palmer is a talented wing who handled his lack of minutes this year very well. He is very long, athletic, and can shoot. Also is a solid defender. Having him come of the bench is an asset in my opinion. Davon Reed will be our leader and he will rise to the occasion. I feel he is the most overrated player on our team by far. He can do it all and now he will be more featured next year. He was the most trusted player on the team for me because he was always consistently showed up in the big moments of games.

There is a 0% chance Miller redshirts. He will play

If no one transfers he's the 11th guy in the rotation, if you even call it that. If he doesn't RS, he's seeing action against Stetson and Central Texas Tech.

He will be ahead of Izuzu by the end of the year. He's raw but an elite athlete at the 5.

By the end of the year he might even be our starting 5.

Nobody is redshirting on next year's team. Coach L is going to let them compete and the worst players (James Palmer), just won't play

I respect your opinion, but it sounds to me like you haven't watched Miller play that much. Miller is far from elite and could greatly benefit from a redshirt year. He didn't even start for Oak Hill (I know, they are a top notch HS program). But still, if he was an elite 5, he would have garnered more minutes. I watched Oak Hill the couple times they were on ESPN this year and came away very unimpressed. There was another poster on here that went to a tournament that Oak Hill was in and he echoed the same sentiments.

I think that Coach L has a great guy that he can mold in Miller. But he will not have much of an impact next year.

I just watched Miller's film. I'd be very surprised if he was in the rotation next year. Looks to me like a major project.

Of all the incoming recruits, Brown looks to me like the most ACC ready.

No way Lawrence does not start next year. He is very talented and a match up nightmare, he is also very poised. I think that Newton should stay as the sixth man. His current game is not a true point guard. I think he fits coming off the bench and trying to score for us as opposed to running our offense. I don't understand the hate with Palmer. Palmer is a talented wing who handled his lack of minutes this year very well. He is very long, athletic, and can shoot. Also is a solid defender. Having him come of the bench is an asset in my opinion. Davon Reed will be our leader and he will rise to the occasion. I feel he is the most overrated player on our team by far. He can do it all and now he will be more featured next year. He was the most trusted player on the team for me because he was always consistently showed up in the big moments of games.

Agree with all of this, except I think you meant underrated, not overrated!

Advertisement
There were a few times last night when Lawrence got caught matched up against Ochefu and I thought that was a guaranteed score for Ochefu but Lawrence was able to wrap his and around and pick Ochefu's pocket. Kid is smart and knows how to make the best out of a bad match up.

There were a few times last night when Lawrence got caught matched up against Ochefu and I thought that was a guaranteed score for Ochefu but Lawrence was able to wrap his and around and pick Ochefu's pocket. Kid is smart and knows how to make the best out of a bad match up.

Have to like Lawrence's potential, he will be a much better player with many more minutes next year, he is very versatile and will show a lot on the court.

My prediction on next years line up:

C - OPEN/Izunu/Miller
F - Murphy/Huell
F - Reed/Lawrence
G - Muhammed/Palmer
G - Newton/Brown/Aussie

-We really need a legit 5. I expect Coach L to address this either with a Grad transfer, or by signing Rakocevic or the Turk (longshot).

-Expect Brown to play a lot. He will probably be used in a role similar to Newton next year.

-Coach L LOVES Murphy, especially the toughness he brings. He is going to start, but Huell could be starting by the end of the year.

-Next year is going to be fun. We likely aren't going to be as good, but we have legit young talent and it should be exciting to watch.

Because we're losing two 5th year seniors, we won't be as good. But I think there will be more raw talent on next year's team.

Advertisement
Murphy is a PF. If we have to count on him at C next year we are in trouble. Newton digressed tremendously after he returned from the suspension. Lots of turnovers, missed shots and just poor play. Reed and Lawrence should be solid G next year. We just better hope someone can step in at C. While Jekeri wasn't worth a crap for scoring his D was huge this year.

El Brow weighs in

Peter Ariz ‏@PeterAriz 24m24 minutes ago
Canes fans are excited about Dewan Huell and Bruce Brown next season as they should be, but don't sleep on transfer wing Rashad Muhammad

Peter Ariz ‏@PeterAriz 23m23 minutes ago
Have heard a lot of good things about Rashad Muhammad this year. Perimeter-minder scorer who can go get a bucket.

Wasn't his fg percentage in the 38 % range ? That's pretty bad

I guess he's a " volume scorer " lol

Look up what McClellan shot at Texas

El Brow weighs in

Canes fans are excited about Dewan Huell and Bruce Brown next season as they should be, but don't sleep on transfer wing Rashad Muhammad

Have heard a lot of good things about Rashad Muhammad this year. Perimeter-minder scorer who can go get a bucket.

Look up what McClellan shot at Texas

Touché . So are you comparing him to a possible first round pick?

Just kidding, kinda

I know this season just ended, and I know there might be transfers and we might pick up another recruit (THE TURK!!) or a transfer, but I'm already excited and want to talk about next year.

PG: Newton
SG: Brown
SF: Reed
PF / C: Murphy
PF / C: Huell
-----------------
F: Lawrence (6th Man)
G: The Aussie
G: Palmer
G / F: Muhammad
C: Uzundu

We'll have growing pains, but we should be an NCAA team again. I will be disappointed if we're not. Reed needs to be more assertive, which I think he will be when he's not the #3 option. Newton needs to play like it's his team, which I hope he can. The freshman need to live up to their hype. Who knows on this one, though I can't wait to see Brown. I can see Lawrence having a jump from year 1 to year 2 like Davon did. I also think people are sleeping on Muhammad. I know San Jose sucked, but kid is a scorer and a shooter. In 2 years he already became SJSU's 3rd all-time 3 point shooter (made 3s).

I don't know who we play non-conference, and we likely won't know for a long time. I'd love it if we continued to play Florida, but we all know how the Crocs work. I do know these are our ACC games

Home/Road: Florida State, Virginia Tech, Duke, NC State
Home: Georgia Tech, Clemson, North Carolina, Boston College, Notre Dame
Road: Wake Forest, Virginia, Louisville, Pitt, Syracuse

Don't forget Nick Rakocevic who is planning his visits after the season a 5 Star Center

High-majors after 6-10 center Nick Rakocevic - Basketball Recruiting - Scout

"His strong play, has led to increased college interest. Rakocevic currently claims scholarship offers from Auburn, Creighton, DePaul, Indiana, Miami, USC and Wisconsin.

He has also garnered interest from the likes of Arizona State, California, Louisville, Minnesota, North Carolina and South Carolina.

“I’m trying to get out to Miami and USC,” he said. “They offered me and are still recruiting him. I’m trying to get to Miami, USC, Louisville and North Carolina.”

When will Rakocevic make his college choice?

“A lot of schools are coming in so I'm waiting probably till after the season,” he said.

Advertisement
Don't underestimate the Aussie. He may be good enough to step in as a tall Angel. Strong at passing and 3's.

Agree with all of this, except I think you meant underrated, not overrated!

Sorry about that, yes, underrated.

Advertisement
El Brow weighs in

Is this a serious post?

He shot 37% from 3. That is 3 points better than Angel and pretty much the same as Davon.

Also, the SJSU team he played on was one of the worst in college basketball, period. Not many open looks when you're on a team that bad

El Brow weighs in

Is this a serious post?

He shot 37% from 3. That is 3 points better than Angel and pretty much the same as Davon.

Also, the SJSU team he played on was one of the worst in college basketball, period. Not many open looks when you're on a team that bad

Ugh....yeah it's serious.

I know a Sjsu grad and he said Muhammad shot 38 percent from the field , which is awful . His opinion was he was a pretty good player on an awful team , he didn't seem blown away by him.

I've seen a bunch of players put up huge numbers on awful teams then go get on contenders and look meh. It's easy to pad stats on a bad teams , especially if you're the only real threat . You just shoot a lot and can't help but put up points , it's actually quite common. Hence why he maybe shot 38 % from the field .

I understand he's had a couple years to improve and get stronger like Sheldon. Even though Sheldon play big boy badketball and was a way better athlete .

I'll be rooting for the kid , hopefully he lives up to y'alls hype.

Last edited:
Coach L needs to let it be known this is Reed's team next year. He has all acc type talent. I think he will flourish knowing he is the go-to man. Hopefully Huell is ready to go day 1. There is really no option other then to play an uptempo style next year. We just do not have the size.
1. Newton
2. Reed
3. Amp
4. Murphy
5. Huell
is what I see.

Newton is far better than people credit with him with being. The fact that he can get points in the lane even though people know he can't shoot is remarkable. While he's far from a Harlem Globetrotter with his handle, it's more than adequate. He does need to improve his rotations and closeouts along with his shooting and driving with his head down. If he improves at a similar clip he might be borderline All-ACC.

Agree with the positives about Davon Reed who has the chance to be a special player, read NBA player.

I can't fathom the criticism about Murphy. He plays very good defense, rebounds well and finishes strong, especially in transition. He regularly guards bigger players and yet he excels. I'd love to see the teams' +/-.

Advertisement
Back