2/3 @ VT @ 2:00 PM (ESPN)

Great games Amp and Lonnie. Clutch!

As someone else said weeks ago, our FT shooting is gonna kill us at some important juncture this season. You can count on it. So many of our guys make 1 of 2. Either they are not ready to take the first FT, then settle down to swish the second one. Or, after making the first, they're pulling off the line to start to get back on defense, therein failing to follow through on shot #2 . Gotta believe Coach L has been on their backs all year about FTs. Especially important now with BB out.
We hit 70% of our FT and were 9-12 in the last 1:15.

We're shooting what for the season? 64%. Very atypical for the Canes. Even in our "scraping by" years, seems to me we could count on a lot better FT shooting than this year has produced.

Lonnie is shooting 82% in ACC play from FT line

Advertisement
Since ACC play began, here is our FT shooting:

@ Pitt: 8-9
@ GT: 8-11
FSU: 23-32
@ Clemson: 9-18 [Outlier]
Duke: 8-10
@ NCST: 8-12
UL: 22-31
@ FSU: 9-13
Pitt: 17-23
@ VT: 16-23

Overall: 128-182 or 70%
Home: 70-96 or 72.9%
Away: 58-86 or 67.4%
w/o Outlier: 119-164 or 72.6%

---------------------

1. Keep in mind, before ACC play, we started: 122-199 or 61.3%. So when it matters most, we're doing much better.

2. One other interesting thing to note is the performance of a senior. JaQuan Newton is 38-63 or 60.3% for the season.

Without Newton (Overall): 212-318 or 66.7%

Without Newton (just ACC play): 111-154 or 72%

I don't get why Newton is in or gets the ball at the end of a game. He has totally regressed and is having his worst season from the FTL.

What irks me with Newton and Brown to a lesser extent, is that when we have a lead late in the game and know the intentional coming, they come calling for the ball. I remember Brown doing this after a rebound a few games ago, and immediately after he was fouled, he was shaking his head in disgust because he knew he shouldn’t be the one shooting the free throws. The commentator even said we shouldn’t have gave him the ball but it’s hard not to when you turn around and he is clapping for the ball....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------------------

1. Keep in mind, before ACC play, we started: 122-199 or 61.3%. So when it matters most, we're doing much better.

2. One other interesting thing to note is the performance of a senior. JaQuan Newton is 38-63 or 60.3% for the season.

I don't get why Newton is in or gets the ball at the end of a game. He has totally regressed and is having his worst season from the FTL.

What irks me with Newton and Brown to a lesser extent, is that when we have a lead late in the game and know the intentional coming, they come calling for the ball. I remember Brown doing this after a rebound a few games ago, and immediately after he was fouled, he was shaking his head in disgust because he knew he shouldn’t be the one shooting the free throws. The commentator even said we shouldn’t have gave him the ball but it’s hard not to when you turn around and he is clapping for the ball....

Bruce is shooting 71% in ACC play. He started below 50% during OOC play, but has been much better lately. The ball, though, should be in IV or DJ's hands.

---------------------

Bruce is shooting 71% in ACC play. He started below 50% during OOC play, but has been much better lately. The ball, though, should be in IV or DJ's hands.

True. That’s why I said Brown to a lesser extent. But going off memory, Brown is known to clank one or two with under 2 min left. I don’t want to just single those two out though. Even Amp, who had a great game, bricked some while trying to close it out yesterday. Maybe it’s a team mentality thing. We struggle on all phases down the stretch....

---------------------

True. That’s why I said Brown to a lesser extent. But going off memory, Brown is known to clank one or two with under 2 min left. I don’t want to just single those two out though. Even Amp, who had a great game, bricked some while trying to close it out yesterday. Maybe it’s a team mentality thing. We struggle on all phases down the stretch....

Amp was trying not to **** his pants the entire second half. Literally.

Advertisement

Brown was shooting about what we're averaging during ACC play (71%). Brown also has control with the ball and knows what he is doing when he gets it. I disagree there.

Newton is unreliable in all aspects (control with the ball, FT shooting and defensively). I agree with you there. There is no reason, short of injuries to everyone, that Newton should be getting that ball or in the game. If we know they're going to foul, the ball needs to be in DJ or Lonnie's hands.

Brown was shooting about what we're averaging during ACC play (71%). Brown also has control with the ball and knows what he is doing when he gets it. I disagree there.

Newton is unreliable in all aspects (control with the ball, FT shooting and defensively). I agree with you there. There is no reason, short of injuries to everyone, that Newton should be getting that ball or in the game. If we know they're going to foul, the ball needs to be in DJ or Lonnie's hands.

Problem is, with Brown out, one of Newton or Lykes probably has to be in the game at the end, and right now, I don't trust either.

Amp missed one FT yesterday. He missed it with 11:40 left on the clock in the second half. I have no idea what brick you're talking about in regards to him... "bricked some while trying to close it out yesterday". His other miss was a layup in the first half (15:07 left).

Problem is, with Brown out, one of Newton or Lykes probably has to be in the game at the end, and right now, I don't trust either.

I don't want Newton in the game period. I'd rather go with Lykes because he is a better FT shooter.

Lonnie needs to call for the ball, DJ needs to be back there as well.

Advertisement
This team has obvious weaknesses but I appreciate the urgency in the pivotal road games like North Carolina State and Virginia Tech. Those are winnable games but you can't expect to do it from behind. I really appreciated that in both games the players seemed to understand the value of an early lead, and keeping it throughout. Margin for error. The more recent teams haven't always had that trait and could get lazy on the road.

Late last season Bruce Brown sought the ball in close out free throw situations and was effective. Naturally it carries over to this season. I'm not his biggest fan but I want him taking those shots, even if sometimes he archs them extremely high and the arch can vary quite a bit from one free throw to the next. At least Brown will attack the ball in those situations instead of standing around, like most of our guys.

Notice that we haven't been defaulting to the bail out inbounds pass into the backcourt this season. That's partially because Brown was seeking that inbounds pass aggressively. I suspect we'll see it now that he's out.

I disagree that Lykes is someone we want on the line late. I don't trust his form and he doesn't seem to take it seriously enough.

This obviously is a minor matter but the lady sitting next to me was really ticked at Lykes at the end of the Pittsburgh game because he bricked two free throws inside the final minute. The Canes had 69 points and that prop for the free wings at Ale House requires 70 points. It seems like a gag but in every home game you'd be surprised at how many people root for it and apparently take advantage. There were audible gasps all over the place when Lykes missed those two free throws. Pittsburgh then missed and Miami dribbled out the clock. The guy seated next to me said to her, "Now that's a bad beat."

When Lykes went to the line I told her she was a big favorite but Lykes wouldn't exactly be the most dependable guy to make at least one out of two. He wanders around and doesn't exactly offer confidence building body language. He is a true freshman and acts like a true freshman. Mostly random out there. There's no question I would have preferred Newton above Lykes in that spot, or in an actual meaningful situation late in a game. He might miss but you'll get full attention span.

Amp missed one FT yesterday. He missed it with 11:40 left on the clock in the second half. I have no idea what brick you're talking about in regards to him... "bricked some while trying to close it out yesterday". His other miss was a layup in the first half (15:07 left).

My timing may be off. I can’t find a replay of the game but I thought that miss came at the end. I’m probably thought that cause it came while they were making their run. Regardless, as a team, we struggle hitting ft down the stretch....

Last edited:

My timing may be off. I can’t find a replay of the game but I thought that miss came at the end. I’m probably thought that cause it came while they were making their run. Regardless, as a team, we struggle hitting ft down the stretch....

Here is the play by play.

Miami vs. Virginia Tech - Play-By-Play - February 3, 2018 - ESPN

You don’t need a replay.

Impressive and really big road win. A few thoughts:

- Amp has been our swiss army knife since he came here...just played wherever we needed him which typically is out of position. He's had a great year and you simply can't play a better game than what he did on Saturday. That floater he developed over the off season is what he needed to take his offensive game to the next level.

-Sam Wardenburg is a smart bball player and knows his role on the floor. He is still adjusting to the game and had those two bad turnovers after his rebounds but he's an asset for this team. Also is a good rotational defensive player who can hang in there on a pick and roll with a guard. Very encouraging performance and will only get better.

-I'm always attacking Newton and still can't stand his game. But he deserves credit for Saturday's game. Played well all around, played hard, made some big free throws. With BB out we need something from him and if he can play smarter he could help us. Big if.

-Lonnie is a special player. Enjoy him.

Really hope we can get both wins this week and go into the big game with Virginia on a winning streak.

Advertisement

I don't want Newton in the game period. I'd rather go with Lykes because he is a better FT shooter.

Lonnie needs to call for the ball, DJ needs to be back there as well.

Lykes is, but he hasn't been great either. 66% in ACC play.

Advertisement
Back