1/15 Duke at 7:00 PM on ESPN

Coach L has spoiled us with the talent he has brought in and the program he has built here. But it's ok to criticize him on a message board and he deserves criticism after this game. We've had issues with zone defenses for years now. And I get we don't have good shooting which kills zones. But there is absolutely no excuse for our offensive approach against a zone. We play like we've never practiced it before. We either dribble or slowly pass the ball and don't move the defense at all. Then we either force a drive or force a bad shot because the defense is set and it's scrambling. This leads to awful shooting and 8 for 22 on lay ups because everything is contested. All we have to do is move the ball quickly around, pass to the guy in the middle, and make swing passes and this will make the defense scramble and will allow plenty of lanes for easy lay ups and wide open shots(those we may miss and aren't Coach L's fault).

It's time to fix this now. This team is too talented to miss out on the tournament. Moving the ball around against a zone is something than can be changed over night. If somebody doesn't want to move the ball around then bench them. It's time to start playing smart basketball.

Thanks for the intelligent post, Edge. I've read several today, most not on this board, calling for the firing of Coach L, blowing up the program, etc. Interestingly, what has been bothering me most about our play this year -- our unwillingness to push the ball and play aggressive O and D to take advantage of our athleticism -- was actually solved for the first 32 minutes of this game. Moreover, if we had just played even with Duke down the stretch, we would all be praising Coach L and this team, thinking that we had righted the ship.

Of course, by Duke going into a zone, it merely highlighted some of our major issues -- our inability to shoot from outside, as well as our lack of passing. Our lack of 3-point shooting is pretty obvious -- we currently rank 194 in the nation at 34.7%. Of course, if we look at ACC-only games, we were second to last in the league at 28.9% prior to last night! (We did improve somewhat last night by shooting 36% for the game.) Based on the blueprint that Duke gave the rest of the league last night, expect a lot of zone going forward.

Unfortunately, to your point, we are even worse moving the ball. Currently, we sit at #249 (out of 347) in assists per game at 12.8. In the ACC, we were 3rd from last (above only Pitt and Syracuse) at 10.5 assists per game before last night. Our 10 against Duke doesn't help matters.

Unless we can find a way to improve on those numbers, we aren't going to effectively attack a zone. And, to point out the obvious, you aren't effectively attacking a zone (especially a 3-2 zone) when you pass the ball among the 3 guards at the top of key for the first 20 seconds of each possession.

I completely agree with pushing the ball and playing more uptempo. I've said on here a few times that we also need to start pressing/trapping other teams. Our guards are so athletic and are getting steals without any real pressure. By pressing/trapping this will speed up the game, cause more turnovers, and will help hide our front court depth issues. There are very few teams who could handle our pressure. I think we have enough back court depth to do this consistently but if we don't than we should at least do it a few times during the games.

Advertisement
If you were coach we wouldn't do anything at all. You can't get better at anything, so why even practice at all? But you've hinted you have a gambling problem so I'm not surprised that you have issues with logically thinking through remotely complicated topics.

As usual, you miss the point while taking an immature personal shot. If we're weak in an area, it's because that area had not previously been addressed. It's past the point of "let's make sure we cover that in practice".

And a gambling addiction is nothing to joke about. It is a disease that destroys families. Don't mock it until you've suffered through two bouts of rehab.

Hahaha don't you try walking back on your idiotic assertions. That is not what you have said previously.

I think Coach L is a good coach. He's not one of the best in the nation. I think he excels with good assistants around him. I don't think he has that now. Maybe when Konkol gets fired at La Tech, we can bring him back to run the offense, because whoever is doing it now, ain't cutting it. I know Knokol was what L called the "offensive coordinator" and Huger was the "defensive coordinator" and L was more of the CEO type. Not sure if he needs to be more hands on, or get better assistants, but we're doing **** right now. Hopefully Lykes emerges as a Larkin/Rodriguez type PG, because our offense is crap without one.

I still think this team can make the NCAAT this year, but we're obviously not as good as the hype. Brown and Walker can't seem to have a good game, the same game as each other, and we need that. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if they both left despite what they're doing (or not doing this year). At this point, I don't really know what to say, except I'm just going to continue to watch and hope the team and L figure this out.

You're on the bashing train too? Coach L isn't a great coach anymore? A loss in Hawaii after crazy travel and no rest to a 15-3 NMSU team that isn't bad. Three conference losses. The first on the road to a GT team (after more crazy travel) that turned out to be not that bad. The second on the road to a very good Clemson team. The third to a Duke team that has at least 4 guys that should be playing in the NBA this year if not for dopey 1 and done rule. I'm very far from jumping off the ledge on this season.

I said he's not one of the best in the nation. Jesus Christ. I'm not bashing him. The offense sucks right now, and we're not as good as we were hyped up to be. I still want him to be our coach, and I still have faith in him. What did you read?

Duke has the same issue from year to year. Too many guys want to be the man all the time.

I think the issue with this Miami team is actually the exact opposite. It seems like NO ONE wants to be the man to step up, dominate, and score down the stretch. Walker and Brown are too passive. They both play good team ball but at least one of those guys needs that killer instinct to look to score on every touch and dominate stretches in games. That would be a big boon to our offensive woes, especially late in games IMO.

Don't think we're gonna do better.

Why? Why is the University of Miami settling for being a program that admits it can't play with the big boys?

Coach L CAN AND DOES play with and beat the big boys. Coach L has a winning record against Coach K at Miami. He's won the ACC conference title. Does that not count as playing with the big boys???

Coach K's, Roy Williams', Bill Self's, Izzo's, and Calipari's don't grow on trees. What other coach in the world can you tell me Miami could hire that would step in and lead us to a national title within 6 years time? There isn't any. Just like in football there is only one Nick Saban and one Urban Meyer.

And your Dan Mullen/Miss State comparison is ridiculous. Getting into the Badboy Mowers/Boise Potato/Bumblefugg Mobile Bowl and beating a 6 win football team is much easier than making it to the sweet sixteen twice within 5 years of taking over at a new school.

Advertisement
Duke has the same issue from year to year. Too many guys want to be the man all the time.

I think the issue with this Miami team is actually the exact opposite. It seems like NO ONE wants to be the man to step up, dominate, and score down the stretch. Walker and Brown are too passive. They both play good team ball but at least one of those guys needs that killer instinct to look to score on every touch and dominate stretches in games. That would be a big boon to our offensive woes, especially late in games IMO.

I can see that. Good point. That's a team issue and not a Coach L issue, would you agree?

I can see that. Good point. That's a team issue and not a Coach L issue, would you agree?

I think it's a mix of coaching (since Coach L wants unselfish play) but also a personality trait within the players themselves. They just don't have it in them to be selfish and ball dominant. That's not a knock on them as players because I love watching good team play where everyone gets a touch on offensive possessions, but we could really use BB or Walker to be selfish and take over a game this season especially when our offense is stagnant or late in a game. The only somewhat selfish/ball dominant player on the team is Quan and that's someone that has no business doing that (it's always to the detriment of the team when he does).

Bottom line is the team isn't as good as the hype. They'll make the tourney but that's about it.

You can say that bolded part in just about every Coach L season at this point. This is year SEVEN. Seven years. He is like a Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.

This is laughable and extra kunty. Let me know if you need help understanding why this is extra atrocious.

Is it "kunty" because Mullen actually accomplished more while at Mississippi State? Is that where I went wrong?

1. It is very difficult to quantify or compare basketball to football accomplishments.

2. Even with that said, the comparison ends in year 2. You know, when Coach L won the conference.

You're wrong because you're a ****.

Bottom line is the team isn't as good as the hype. They'll make the tourney but that's about it.

You can say that bolded part in just about every Coach L season at this point. This is year SEVEN. Seven years. He is like a Dan Mullen at Mississippi State.

This is laughable and extra kunty. Let me know if you need help understanding why this is extra atrocious.

Is it "kunty" because Mullen actually accomplished more while at Mississippi State? Is that where I went wrong?

He did? Did Mullen's win a conference title? No. Did he finish in the Top 10? No. How many years did he have a winning record in conference? 1 out of 9.

Let's see. Jim Larranaga. 1 conference championship--regular season and tournament. 2 Top 10 finishes. 5 out of 6 years with winning conference records.

Question for Miami is whether Brown, Walker and Huell stay one more year. You add Vernon Carey, Jr. and our front court is something to reckon with next year and a legitimate Elite Eight team.

Quite honestly, we were overrated coming into the season with the expectation that Walker was going to play like a lottery pick as a true freshman. Last night was a bad loss, but I still think this team matures by March. We shall see.

1. I don't know how you can compare basketball to football accomplishments. It is very difficult to quantify.

2. Even if you attempt, the comparison ends in year 2. Coach L won the conference and Mullen, like kunty, pees on his ********s.

Advertisement
FYI - records in football and basketball are different.

Mullen and Lullenaga have the same history and reputation: name school with a mediocre history and a fan base that accepts their place in the sport. You people are thrilled that we have made it to the Sweet 16 twice. Embarrassing.

1. The comparison sucked and it stills sucks as you force it kunty.

2. Leaves out the part about winning the conference. Remember that kunty?

3. Makes up the part about settling because kunty doesn't like it when Coach L "settles" his nuts on kunty's chin.

-------------

Keep up the good work kunty, bump all those great porsts when you get a chance.

I think Coach L is a good coach. He's not one of the best in the nation. I think he excels with good assistants around him. I don't think he has that now. Maybe when Konkol gets fired at La Tech, we can bring him back to run the offense, because whoever is doing it now, ain't cutting it. I know Knokol was what L called the "offensive coordinator" and Huger was the "defensive coordinator" and L was more of the CEO type. Not sure if he needs to be more hands on, or get better assistants, but we're doing **** right now. Hopefully Lykes emerges as a Larkin/Rodriguez type PG, because our offense is crap without one.

I still think this team can make the NCAAT this year, but we're obviously not as good as the hype. Brown and Walker can't seem to have a good game, the same game as each other, and we need that. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if they both left despite what they're doing (or not doing this year). At this point, I don't really know what to say, except I'm just going to continue to watch and hope the team and L figure this out.

You're on the bashing train too? Coach L isn't a great coach anymore? A loss in Hawaii after crazy travel and no rest to a 15-3 NMSU team that isn't bad. Three conference losses. The first on the road to a GT team (after more crazy travel) that turned out to be not that bad. The second on the road to a very good Clemson team. The third to a Duke team that has at least 4 guys that should be playing in the NBA this year if not for dopey 1 and done rule. I'm very far from jumping off the ledge on this season.

I said he's not one of the best in the nation. Jesus Christ. I'm not bashing him. The offense sucks right now, and we're not as good as we were hyped up to be. I still want him to be our coach, and I still have faith in him. What did you read?

L is a future HOFer and among the best coaches in the nation.

Scattered thoughts after attending the game:

* No worries about Bruce Brown leaving early this year. He wouldn't be drafted

* I was proud of Huell. What a difference from last year. He's not the equal of the elite bigs but gad does he battle out there. Unfortunately we need two of that caliber, not one. Ijundu just doesn't have it. Foul prone and simply not a finisher. He's still useful in certain games but Huell has to carry us inside.

* I wish we had three Anthony Lawrences, or that Lawrence was 4 inches taller. Best hands on the team and it isn't remotely close. Smart player. Can hit occasional clutch threes. He's asked to guard guys who tower over him

* D.J. is out of place in a game like that. He wasn't in a game like that much at all, and it was the proper decision. Chuck and beg.

* Our elite recruits are simply not the match of the top programs. I posted that a couple of years ago and I'll stand by it every year, without needing to know the specifics. Duke tonight started four freshmen and senior Grayson Allen. Those freshmen looked scary before the opening tip. #34 dominated the first half inside and then #2 buried us from the outside in the final 7 minutes. Those are lottery or first round looking players. Our guys are superior freshmen than who we've had.

* Walker has considerably more raw talent than Brown. But he's not always dependable out there and it's too much of a playground style. On one key possession Walker had a simple layup but he used a ridiculous fancy finger roll and didn't threaten the bucket.

* Game was lost in the first 8 minutes of the second half. You'll never see Duke basketball play a stretch that inept if you watched every game for another 40 seasons. They had 2 points and 6 turnovers. But instead of exploding the lead out to 15 or 18 it got stuck at 8...52 to 44. The Canes weren't much less sloppy than Duke. At that point I felt the game would get away. Simple reason: Duke is not going to score 20 or 25 points in a second half. Normalcy will restore with a vengeance. That is one thing I learned quickly in Las Vegas. The margin is not nearly as significant if the opponent is guaranteed to score in waves, to return to normalcy.

Once Duke began that run down 66-53 I knew it would not end soon. They had to get to the point their second half points were in logical territory. And the Canes were swallowed up as victims. The fact that it was an 18-0 run was mostly trivia.

* Our half court offense is a mess to begin with, and a huge mess against a zone

* Lykes is great fun to watch and already an immense crowd favorite. He plays above his height and is seldom a liability. He'll take it to the bucket with more authority and variety than guys 10 inches taller than him. He still needs to clean up a few errors per game, like the mistake just before half that led to a Duke three at the buzzer

* Richt and Diaz were not far away from me at halftime, standing above and alongside the section with all the recruits and early enrollees. Richt stood there throughout halftime and chatted with fans. People were taking selfies with him and snapping photos from all angles. Largest ovation of the night was when our early enrollees were introduced by name at halftime. Lingard threw up a Heisman pose. He was already famous among that crowd, earning the highest decibel applause when introduced.

I have to say our recruits looked extremely athletic but not particularly large. The guy next to me said, "Can you imagine them lining up against Alabama?"

No, I could not. Not with pleasant results. I realize high school kids aren't supposed to look like Alabama linemen but gad did that look like a lopsided group, with skill prioritized above muscle. We had one big guy with a sloppy belly. Otherwise they were lean and did not look out of place standing in the middle of a basketball court.

Other than the kicker recruit. He looked like he belonged in middle school.
Nice write up, frustrating game to watch. Didn't really matter in the end, but refs really let Dukies get away with a lot and I think we got called for ****sant stuff. But then Duke always gets the calls.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

L is a future HOFer and among the best coaches in the nation.

How many coaches are among "best in the nation" according to you? I'm being serious.

Advertisement

1. It is very difficult to quantify or compare basketball to football accomplishments.

2. Even with that said, the comparison ends in year 2. You know, when Coach L won the conference.

Yes, continue celebrating "winning the conference". You're sounding like the Jim Morris apologists. "But he won the Coastal!!!".

Just admit that you don't have championship expectations for the program. Own it. Just don't give me the line that you have high expectations while throwing parades for conference titles and top 16 finishes.

Mullen and Lullenaga have the same history and reputation: name school with a mediocre history and a fan base that accepts their place in the sport. You people are thrilled that we have made it to the Sweet 16 twice. Embarrassing.

3. Makes up the part about settling because kunty doesn't like it when Coach L "settles" his nuts on kunty's chin.

-------------

"Winning the conference" SMDH.

Mullenaga would get a lifetime contract from you mopes because he won the conference one time.

Advertisement

Yes, continue celebrating "winning the conference". You're sounding like the Jim Morris apologists. "But he won the Coastal!!!".

Just admit that you don't have championship expectations for the program. Own it. Just don't give me the line that you have high expectations while throwing parades for conference titles and top 16 finishes.

And we have a tangent from the ****. The post above is only showing you how you’re comparison is insanely wrong. Win the “Coastal”? Not sure how this is relevant kunty.

It isn’t a full post. Keep porsting kunty, bump those threads.

-------------

"Winning the conference" SMDH.

Mullenaga would get a lifetime contract from you mopes because he won the conference one time.

Another tangent from the ****. Bump those porst kunty, let’s keep it going.

Advertisement
Back