Why do they keep calling position groups a “room”?

Bigdaddycane44

Banned
Banned
When discussing depth charts and positions, why the **** does everyone keep referring to football position groups as “rooms” now!?!? Some schmo in an article will say “This QB room is stacked” or “That team has a great RB room!”? Why? When did this become the norm? Who started this annoying trend?

There’s really no need for useless, unnecessary language to describe or pluralize a group of players. I don’t really understand the context either. Why is it a “room” of QB’s or RB’s? Where exactly is this room? Is there an office room somewhere on the field with AC, couches, and a fridge full of snacks for every position? Are they using the word “room” in reference to where positions meet after practice? Regardless, it’s stupid and irritating. We can be normal and just put an “s” at the end of what we’re pluralizing like every other word in the English language. “Hey coach, your linebackers look great this season!”. End. Done. Don’t need to add a “room” after linebacker or another unnecessary word.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, mods. There’s so much more I can contribute here. It’s quite clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Well, here's the WRs' room:

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1cnJpY2FuZXNwb3J0cy1jb20vMjAyMC8wNi9kOGE5NTc5OS1mb290YmFsbF9oYWxsd2F5LmpwZw.jpg

And here's the LBs' room:

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1cnJpY2FuZXNwb3J0cy1jb20vMjAyMC8wNi82M2ZhNzE3Zi11bWhjMDYxMTE5LTA3OS5qcGc.jpg

Well, here's the WRs' room:

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1cnJpY2FuZXNwb3J0cy1jb20vMjAyMC8wNi9kOGE5NTc5OS1mb290YmFsbF9oYWxsd2F5LmpwZw.jpg

And here's the LBs' room:

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2h1cnJpY2FuZXNwb3J0cy1jb20vMjAyMC8wNi82M2ZhNzE3Zi11bWhjMDYxMTE5LTA3OS5qcGc.jpg
I’m aware, but why reference their meeting rooms to pluralize the position group in a discussion? I don’t see the need. We non-football players don’t include where we dwell when we speak about ourselves or our families. When someone asks you “Hey No_Fly_Zone, how’s your family doing??” I’m sure you don’t reply “The No_Fly_Zone luxury Brickell apartment room 832 is doing fabulous!” If you were going to have a child, you could simply say “We’re adding to our family”. I wouldn’t think you’d say “Luxury Brickell apartment room 832 is adding depth”!

It’s 6:33 AM, I haven’t had coffee yet, and these are the best examples I could come up with. Bear with me buddy!

🤣🤣🤣🤣.... I mean it's been like this for how long??.. At pretty much every school everywhere...
Jeffries GIF by GIPHY News
The original post was mostly a joke inspired by this George Carlin bit. Do you guys like George Carlin? If you aren’t familiar with his work, you’re really missing out!

Advertisement
When discussing depth charts and positions, why the **** does everyone keep referring to football position groups as “rooms” now!?!? Some schmo in an article will say “This QB room is stacked” or “That team has a great RB room!”? Why? When did this become the norm? Who started this annoying trend?

There’s really no need for useless, unnecessary language to describe or pluralize a group of players. I don’t really understand the context either. Why is it a “room” of QB’s or RB’s? Where exactly is this room? Is there an office room somewhere on the field with AC, couches, and a fridge full of snacks for every position? Are they using the word “room” in reference to where positions meet after practice? Regardless, it’s stupid and irritating. We can be normal and just put an “s” at the end of what we’re pluralizing like every other word in the English language. “Hey coach, your linebackers look great this season!”. End. Done. Don’t need to add a “room” after linebacker or another unnecessary word.

This is just the tip of the iceberg, mods. There’s so much more I can contribute here. It’s quite clear.
You seriously have never heard of position groups meeting with position coaches in a meeting room with projectors to review film and discuss game planning, play book etc? They just don't show up wearing spikes on the field. Thing called coaching, preparation.

The original post was mostly a joke inspired by this George Carlin bit. Do you guys like George Carlin? If you aren’t familiar with his work, you’re really missing out!

Ok well lead in with " This is a play on a Carlin joke"... Just makes interpretation a bit easier...
Just Saying Devils Advocate GIF

You seriously have never heard of position groups meeting with position coaches in a meeting room with projectors to review film and discuss game planning, play book etc? They just don't show up wearing spikes on the field. Thing called coaching, preparation.
Well yes, I’m aware they go to meeting rooms and they are separated by position. I’ve actually been to the rooms upstairs at the Hecht Athletic Center when I was a student. This wasn’t what I was questioning. My beef is the unnecessary inclusion of the word “room” when discussing position groups and depth. Why reference their individual meeting rooms when discussing position depth? Tell me which statement below best describes its main idea:

“Miami has great depth at QB”

Or

“Miami has an excellent QB room!”

Now the 1st one gets the entire point across in fewer words. There’s some quality QB’s on this roster. Period. No need to question the intention of the statement.

The 2nd sentence is questionable. I mean “room” can mean a whole lot of **** and adding this useless word can easily cause someone to take it out of context. Are we talking about the actual room and not the players in it? Perhaps someone might think there’s excellent or more “room” for more QB’s on the roster, indicating a lack of depth at the position. This might cause someone to believe the exact opposite of what was originally proposed. Now you can make this statement less wordy by dropping “an” and the word “room” while pluralizing the position group. “Miami has excellent QB’s”. Nothing else needs to be added.

So yes, I see no reason to call it a “QB room” unless we’re discussing the actual room these players congregate. Hope this makes sense!

Ok well lead in with " This is a play on a Carlin joke"... Just makes interpretation a bit easier...
Just Saying Devils Advocate GIF
I hear you brother. Gotta get better at capturing light sarcasm here!

Off topic, but how come you left SOTU? You were basically the Head Honcho over there for quite some time. Did you no longer want the responsibilities of Head Honcho or is it because the new format there sucks?

Advertisement
I hear you brother. Gotta get better at capturing light sarcasm here!

Off topic, but how come you left SOTU? You were basically the Head Honcho over there for quite some time. Did you no longer want the responsibilities of Head Honcho or is it because the new format there sucks?
It was basically me and a few others that were worth taking too ... Aside from that it was just others that just came in and chronically complained about everything on the daily... By the time they changed the format where you could block people it was too late for me... I had enough..
Plus the new format was horrible at first... Lotta bugs...
And for the record I was never a head honcho... Honestly I don't think Cam liked me at all.. he barely ever responded to me ...
Here mods make a effort to handle things whether it be in the open forum or privately.... Certain things here have a more personable feel to them so I rather post here when I do...

W
Well yes, I’m aware they go to meeting rooms and they are separated by position. I’ve actually been to the rooms upstairs at the Hecht Athletic Center when I was a student. This wasn’t what I was questioning. My beef is the unnecessary inclusion of the word “room” when discussing position groups and depth. Why reference their individual meeting rooms when discussing position depth? Tell me which statement below best describes its main idea:

“Miami has great depth at QB”

Or

“Miami has an excellent QB room!”

Now the 1st one gets the entire point across in fewer words. There’s some quality QB’s on this roster. Period. No need to question the intention of the statement.

The 2nd sentence is questionable. I mean “room” can mean a whole lot of **** and adding this useless word can easily cause someone to take it out of context. Are we talking about the actual room and not the players in it? Perhaps someone might think there’s excellent or more “room” for more QB’s on the roster, indicating a lack of depth at the position. This might cause someone to believe the exact opposite of what was originally proposed. Now you can make this statement less wordy by dropping “an” and the word “room” while pluralizing the position group. “Miami has excellent QB’s”. Nothing else needs to be added.

So yes, I see no reason to call it a “QB room” unless we’re discussing the actual room these players congregate. Hope this makes sense!
Wow ... you have way too much time on your hands. You have a 'BEEF' coaches terminology. Don't listen to them then.

It was basically me and a few others that were worth taking too ... Aside from that it was just others that just came in and chronically complained about everything on the daily... By the time they changed the format where you could block people it was too late for me... I had enough..
Plus the new format was horrible at first... Lotta bugs...
And for the record I was never a head honcho... Honestly I don't think Cam liked me at all.. he barely ever responded to me ...
Here mods make an effort to handle things whether it be in the open forum or privately.... Certain things here have a more personable feel to them so I rather post here when I do...
Well you were 100% the Head Honcho amongst the commoners and posters on SOTU. I’ve seen people ask what happened to you on more than one occasion. Can’t say the same for others who have left.

The only writer I see respond to people is Justin and he craps on everyone pretty good. He even schools me sometimes and makes me look like an idiot. He’s a smart guy and loves putting people in their place. Love when I see his articles packed with a healthy number of comments.

Good thing your relationship with the mods is a positive one here. Mine certainly is not LOL. I’m sure they’re fine folks but I’d be lying if I said their dynamic is conventional for a forum. I mean dang, one mod called me “pond scum” LOL. I’m on several forums ranging from music, cars, sports, etc. Never been called pond scum by a moderator anywhere else. Also never been banned or sent to jail either. I’m not really protesting it at this point, it is what it is, but I’d recommend they update their forum rules because to me, it’s not very clear what’s off limits and what okay. A simple warning or DM could resolve a potential problem. Outright banning people or putting their account here like a Middle School Principal is a bit..odd. Funny and entertaining? Yes. Normal? I can’t say.

Your best attempt at ingratiation is poorly plagiarizing a ****** 40-year-old comedy routine?

Methinks you are best left in here, where no one can harm you.

Advertisement
Good thing your relationship with the mods is a positive one here. Mine certainly is not LOL. I’m sure they’re fine folks but I’d be lying if I said their dynamic is conventional for a forum. I mean dang, one mod called me “pond scum” LOL. I’m on several forums ranging from music, cars, sports, etc. Never been called pond scum by a moderator anywhere else. Also never been banned or sent to jail either. I’m not really protesting it at this point, it is what it is, but I’d recommend they update their forum rules because to me, it’s not very clear what’s off limits and what okay. A simple warning or DM could resolve a potential problem. Outright banning people or putting their account here like a Middle School Principal is a bit..odd. Funny and entertaining? Yes. Normal? I can’t say.

The mod room is deep with cheeky characters.

Your best attempt at ingratiation is poorly plagiarizing a ****** 40-year-old comedy routine?

Methinks you are best left in here, where no one can harm you.
Ingratiation attempt? I think you have the wrong thread. I posted a “confession” piece three days ago that no one responded to. This was just a rant bit. And that Carlin clip is 20 something years old. You can do better!

Advertisement
Well you were 100% the Head Honcho amongst the commoners and posters on SOTU. I’ve seen people ask what happened to you on more than one occasion. Can’t say the same for others who have left.

The only writer I see respond to people is Justin and he craps on everyone pretty good. He even schools me sometimes and makes me look like an idiot. He’s a smart guy and loves putting people in their place. Love when I see his articles packed with a healthy number of comments.

I offered you advice before... just stay quiet for a bit and let things pass... enjoy the other forums you're on and forget this one for a bit... Then pop on and see if you can get a mod in DM and just talk too them not at them.... avoid things that come across as being a gripe and just converse with them ....
Look I'll be honest , the past several posts you've made are just kinda just saying the same thing over and over concerning your situation...
You gotta get past that and let time do some healing... Honestly it might help because the way it's going now is gonna end up with nothing gained on your end.... Just relax a bit and let it go...

I offered you advice before... just stay quiet for a bit and let things pass... enjoy the other forums you're on and forget this one for a bit... Then pop on and see if you can get a mod in DM and just talk too them not at them.... avoid things that come across as being a gripe and just converse with them ....
Look I'll be honest , the past several posts you've made are just kinda just saying the same thing over and over concerning your situation...
You gotta get past that and let time do some healing... Honestly it might help because the way it's going now is gonna end up with nothing gained on your end.... Just relax a bit and let it go...
Yeah you’re probably right.

Advertisement
Back