While FSU keeps landing

Advertisement
It doesn’t matter anymore. Hate him or not…Mikey played the portal perfectly to give himself a shot at success long term at FSu. I don’t think it’s sustainable but you can’t say he didn’t succeed with his portal pickups.

Oh for sure. I’ve got probably 50 posts on this site I can pull up from last year saying I’m very intrigued how this will all work out because nobody has ever built a program like this.

Well, it almost worked. They had a great year. If Travis doesn’t snap his leg, they are in the playoffs. But now what? They lost 6 NFL players this weekend so far and have replaced them with average HS recruiting and nowhere near the level of portal additions they had in the last 2 cycles.

So all this “success” still isn’t working on HS recruits. And what if they go 8-4 this year?

Competition for elite portal guys is going to surpass competition for 5 star recruits if it hasn’t already happened. Building consistently through the portal alone is only getting harder and more expensive. Guys like Manny Diaz and Mike Norvell who hit the portal hard a few years ago were ahead of the game but it’s a different game now.

Competition for elite portal guys is going to surpass competition for 5 star recruits if it hasn’t already happened. Building consistently through the portal alone is only getting harder and more expensive. Guys like Manny Diaz and Mike Norvell who hit the portal hard a few years ago were ahead of the game but it’s a different game now.
kids dont stay more than 1 year post HS a lot of the time. the portal is gonna be the new wya to team build no matter what

Advertisement
Oh for sure. I’ve got probably 50 posts on this site I can pull up from last year saying I’m very intrigued how this will all work out because nobody has ever built a program like this.

Well, it almost worked. They had a great year. If Travis doesn’t snap his leg, they are in the playoffs. But now what? They lost 6 NFL players this weekend so far and have replaced them with average HS recruiting and nowhere near the level of portal additions they had in the last 2 cycles.

So all this “success” still isn’t working on HS recruits. And what if they go 8-4 this year?
I agree with everything you've said. He is an innovator in the sense that he built out a potentially championship level squad on the portal alone. The issue though is what we all saw in the Orange Bowl: their two deep was awful. Beyond their starting line up, they didn't have much else. Their HS recruits were at a far lower level than their transfer guys. You could see the difference between FSU and UGA. Also, contrary to nole fan thinking, UGA had just as many starters and guys out.

FLO said something interesting on his show yesterday that he got from speaking to someone about which schools truly have elite NIL programs. essentially the point was if you want to know look for schools that are coming up in the top 10 rankings not just in the portal or not just in recruiting, but both.

We can see this year, whether or not FSU gets their recruiting house higher or not

kids dont stay more than 1 year post HS a lot of the time. the portal is gonna be the new wya to team build no matter what
The good ones do. When you see a highly ranked recruit bounce after one year at a program, it’s because the staff doesn’t feel he’s worth the NIL money. If the kid is showing potential, they’ll keep him around.

It doesn’t matter anymore. Hate him or not…Mikey played the portal perfectly to give himself a shot at success long term at FSu. I don’t think it’s sustainable but you can’t say he didn’t succeed with his portal pickups.
I hope we use this playbook this year. All signs point to yes. We go 13-1, who will give a **** lmao

Advertisement
I hope we use this playbook this year. All signs point to yes. We go 13-1, who will give a **** lmao
this. we are essentially doing the same thing and going all in after 2 bad years. sounds familiar. the diff is our HS recruiting is elite, but it really doesn't matter anymore when you let kids walk before they develop imo. just compete yearly however you can and win now. no one cares how you build it if the results are there

I agree with everything you've said. He is an innovator in the sense that he built out a potentially championship level squad on the portal alone. The issue though is what we all saw in the Orange Bowl: their two deep was awful. Beyond their starting line up, they didn't have much else. Their HS recruits were at a far lower level than their transfer guys. You could see the difference between FSU and UGA. Also, contrary to nole fan thinking, UGA had just as many starters and guys out.
Great points re: depth. You can see the difference between a short term portal build vs a long term recruiting build. Georgia was playing with mostly second team guys and they absolutely destroyed Florida State’s guys. You need younger guys for depth. You can’t just rely on transfers to be your second and third team players because nobody good is going to transfer to a school to ride the bench.

wins and losses are the only thing that matter.

Great points re: depth. You can see the difference between a short term portal build vs a long term recruiting build. Georgia was playing with mostly second team guys and they absolutely destroyed Florida State’s guys. You need younger guys for depth. You can’t just rely on transfers to be your second and third team players because nobody good is going to transfer to a school to ride the bench.

you also aren't keeping kids to ride the bench either beyond one season either. kids will leave for PT if they dont get it here. even UGA has a ton of kids leaving in their depth

Advertisement
this. we are essentially doing the same thing and going all in after 2 bad years. sounds familiar. the diff is our HS recruiting is elite, but it really doesn't matter anymore when you let kids walk before they develop imo. just compete yearly however you can and win now. no one cares how you build it if the results are there
Recruiting high school well is how you build depth. You keep the good/great players and you cut the rest after a year or 2 and replace them with the portal players.

Recruiting high school well is how you build depth. You keep the good/great players and you cut the rest after a year or 2 and replace them with the portal players.
kids aren't staying anymore to be your depth esp highly rated ones. saban just admitted to tampering on live tv Thursday night. colleges that missed out on kids in their recruitment will go after them and offer them a better PT situation (or lies to lure them along with NIL) in season. imo, every new build will be year over year. its partly why saban retired. he knew his advantage was gone in the NIL era. the time where you had 4-5 stars on deck waiting their turn is gone. parity increased.

kids aren't staying anymore to be your depth esp highly rated ones. saban just admitted to tampering on live tv Thursday night. colleges that missed out on kids in their recruitment will go after them and offer them a better PT situation (or lies to lure them along with NIL) in season. imo, every new build will be year over year. its partly why saban retired. he knew his advantage was gone in the NIL era. the time where you had 4-5 stars on deck waiting their turn is gone. parity increased.
The early returns certainly give this credence.

Advertisement
you also aren't keeping kids to ride the bench either beyond one season either. kids will leave for PT if they dont get it here. even UGA has a ton of kids leaving in their depth
How many sophomore reserves do we currently have right now? The good ones are still here. You think Oklanlola couldn’t find a starting job if he entered the portal right now? Miami makes sure it’s financially worthwhile for him to stay and compete for a position.

The guys who are leaving programs after one year are guys who are aren’t worth NIL money. If you’re building your roster from the portal you’ve got two choices. Pay a huge premium for a proven one year rental or pay a smaller price for a guy whose previous school already decided wasn’t worth the money. Nobody is leaving Ohio State or Georgia unless their staff just feels they’re not worth the cost of keeping them around.

Completely agree. I'd also note that their lack of development was evident with their QB situation. The minute Travis went down that entire offense went off the rails. Rodemaker was a three year guy there. He shouldn't have been as unprepared and bad as he was under center.

That's why I said you keep the good or elite. Those are your starters sir. You may lose a few people, but most will stay 2 years

Advertisement
Back