We need a Portal TE, Who is it gonna be?

Not counting on Arroyo to be healthy. At this point anything he can give is a bonus. Riley Williams looked good for a freshman but I don't know if they're going to approve McCormick's waiver for a 17th year of college. Besides he should NOT be a starting tight end at Miami. When Arroyo gets hurt again and Mc Cormick gets a waiver denied, are we just rolling with Riley Willams and freshmen who haven't played a snap?
You forgot Carver who will be a soph but I agree to a point. I also am not too excited about the TE position honestly. Until Dawson shows he wants to throw to the TE id rather be in our 4 man WR sets as that is when the offense looked its best last year. Not 3 guys running into 5 man coverages because people knew Cam wasnt going to do ish downfield.

Advertisement
You forgot Carver who will be a soph but I agree to a point. I also am not too excited about the TE position honestly. Until Dawson shows he wants to throw to the TE id rather be in our 4 man WR sets as that is when the offense looked its best last year. Not 3 guys running into 5 man coverages because people knew Cam wasnt going to do ish downfield.
Didn't Carver get a shirt? I don't think he played at all last year? Regardless, he's still a guy with zero game experience. Tight end use was by far the biggest weakness in our offense last year. Not just the lack of production but the fact that the staff still used at least one 90% of the time even though they were zero threat. If anything, they were huge tells as any time the put Mc Cormick in motion, the play always went in his direction. There was an over reliance on keeping 6 or 7 guys in to pass protect meaning we often had three receivers working against 7 defenders. The last two weeks of the year, they finally started letting backs and tight ends run routes and while TVD took a few more hits, the offense was 1000 times better.

Didn't Carver get a shirt? I don't think he played at all last year? Regardless, he's still a guy with zero game experience. Tight end use was by far the biggest weakness in our offense last year. Not just the lack of production but the fact that the staff still used at least one 90% of the time even though they were zero threat. If anything, they were huge tells as any time the put Mc Cormick in motion, the play always went in his direction. There was an over reliance on keeping 6 or 7 guys in to pass protect meaning we often had three receivers working against 7 defenders. The last two weeks of the year, they finally started letting backs and tight ends run routes and while TVD took a few more hits, the offense was 1000 times better.
oh yeah I agree RS FR but still a year in the program and I actually think with his LAX background he moves better than RIley just didnt know football yet. So Physically I think he is there but the mental aspect needs catching up. I agree with the offense being better but I thought that came with more 4 WR sets with no TE. I also agree on the RB's running more routes as well but we are good in the RB department.

I'm in the minority here but if somehow Cam were to come back I think there's a role for him on this offense. It's just preferably not as TE1.

Advertisement
I'm in the minority here but if somehow Cam were to come back I think there's a role for him on this offense. It's just preferably not as TE1.
I think most people’s issue with his performance is that he was playing in a role that’s not what we envisioned for him. If we can just get Arroyo to stay healthy, then Cam just goes into part time blocking duty, and I don’t think fans will think all that much abt him. Arroyo healthy is a bit of an ask tho.

I think we should run with the guys we have. They are plenty talented and need to get burn. McCormick was good for a few games, but we should have lmited his snaps way more. I hope he moves on.

If we are tight on spots, i don't see them using one for a portal TE, but could be wrong.

QB-Ward, Howard, or Jefferson
WR-Evan Stewart type outside stud
OL-If a stud interior hit portal
S-Need another good one here IMO
I would say QB S WR CB

This. If not having a TE on the field means we aren’t able to bunch the ball and try to do what we did last year, and instead our spreading teams out with 4 WRs out of necessity, then we’re better off getting a TE. Keeping Cam or getting another version of him in the portal is horrible for the offense’s chances next year. Just run a true Air Raid.

Advertisement
Im Not No Way GIF

Advertisement
Back