Travis Rudolph

Ya'll getting panties in a bunch over some bull****. We're recruiting vets, we know how much a misnomer the word 'commitment' can be in this process.

Regardless, either we'll struggle next year, this NCAA **** will continue dragging out somehow over the next year, and we'll continue to get negatively recruited to death...or....

Or we'll finish with a better record than UF and beat them head-to-head while Muschamp gives himself an embolism screaming on the sidelines, the NCAA **** will get cleared up in regards to what to expect, and we'll have a great season, and lots of So Fla kids will be banging on the door trying to come in.

Advertisement
Texas really doesn't do that anymore...they had a string of success with it, then a string of flops and failures and now they have a balance, it seems.

Out of 15 total commitments for their 2013 cycle, they had 11 of them happen before the kids went into the summer between their junior and senior seasons. Another commit happened in October. That's 75% of their class.

Out of 28 total commitments for their 2012 cycle, 13 of them happened in the February of the year prior. 18 of them happened before summer. That's 2/3s of their class.

Out of 22 total commitments for their 2011 cycle, 17 of them happened in the February of the year prior. 100% of them happened before the kids' senior seasons.

You just kind of proved my point. Not sure if that was your intent.

2/3 and 75% of their class may be a lot, but that's a lot better than the 100% they were rolling with prior to 2012.

Miami had ~60% of their class wrapped up in 2012 before senior year football start, for a contrast. And down here is a completely different high school football culture than that in Texas.

I only proved your point if you have a distorted definition of "have a balance" (your words). 73.3% (to be exact) of Texas' class was done before the Texas kids had finished their junior years (in Mid June). That is not balance. It's simply "better" than 100%, which is over the top ridiculous.

Miami had 4 of 18 of the players they ultimately signed happen before July of 2012 (the time measured for Texas, for consistency). Your numbers are completely off. That's 11%.

Don't know if your intent is to troll. I realize that's sometimes your game around here, or so you've claimed in that recent thread. If so, I'm not interested.

No trolling. I think you're idea of what "normal" is around the country for top teams is a bit distorted.

When your number is at 100% and you come down to 60-75% of your class that is more of a balance. Considering the culture of Texas high school football and Texas' own methodology in recruiting, how you can say it is anything but, strikes me as odd. Any school's normal (good) recruiting class should have most (>50%) of their class committed prior to the start of the fall semester...some random recruiting classes:

'13 Alabama - 15 of 25 commitments.
'13 Michigan - 21 of 27 commitments.
'13 TAMU - 22 of 31 commitments.
'12 LSU - 16 of 24 commitments.
'12 FSU - 12 of 19 commitments.
'11 Auburn - 13 of 25 commitments.

Just a random sampling. I am sure there are some that drop into the 40-50% range with strong closes. But, 60-75% isn't abnormal...hence, when I said its more of a balance.

Also, what is the difference between July and August? There is none and its arbitrary...both schools had X number before the season started (FWIW, Texas didn't have any commits in July/August/September). FWIW, the 2012 Recruiting Class is where I based my numbers...Miami had 19 commitments before they started fall semester in a 33 kid class.

Miami's 2013 Class had low numbers...6 commitments before the start of fall semester...with a bulk of their class relying on commitments from South Florida players to commit late (I think we learned what that experiment yields)...which goes into my comment about culture. South Florida and Texas high school football culture while both important, don't strike me as similar.

I also don't understand your comment on Texas' recruiting being inefficient. Their method strikes me as being efficient. Inefficient would be recruiting a bulk of your class throughout the entire process. Lets not forget, with that recruiting method they won a National Title and had one of the best runs of the 2000's and produced a ton of NFL talent...plus, its not like those late-in-the-game recruiting battles for James Kirkendoll and Robert Killebrew yielding much of anything.

Not going to get into further semantics with you. Had you said they were trending toward improving their ratio "toward" more balance, I'd have said "agree" and let it go. Your reply plainly said "now they have a balance." It's not a balance. They're still leaning heavily toward commitments before the end of kids' junior years of HS.

When you pulled the data you used for examples, you decided to change the measure to make it "before the fall semester" (instead of before the end of their junior years), which would obviously include summer evaluations. TAMU, for example, had 4 of those commitments during the summer evals. LSU '12 had 3 and FSU '12 had 2. That'd bring all of them closer to the middle.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about the inefficiency. The objective of recruiting isn't to "finish" your class with as little effort as possible and "be stable." The universal objective is to get as many of the best players into your available slots, so your team benefits from the infusion of talent.

When you generally lean [hard, though less hard now] toward extremely early evaluations and forego later evaluations, you leave later developing kids out from being selected. In other words, you leave out potential talent that was not previously seen or developed. You miss out on a portion of your objective in a trade for expediency and stability. As it relates to the bottom line objective, that is inefficient.

Last edited:
I dont think he even has an offer from Florida yet

He will though. Kid is going to blow up this year.
It depends on who Florida gets. We are in on some better WR's than Rudolph. I do think Rudolph is a real good football player though

Judging by recent history with WRs. You wont get anyone better than Rudolph Gator. You and your merry band of gods should take Rudolph as quickly as u can, hope he sticks, and like it.

there is a new sheriff in town

THISPLACEHATESYOU

Out of 15 total commitments for their 2013 cycle, they had 11 of them happen before the kids went into the summer between their junior and senior seasons. Another commit happened in October. That's 75% of their class.

Out of 28 total commitments for their 2012 cycle, 13 of them happened in the February of the year prior. 18 of them happened before summer. That's 2/3s of their class.

Out of 22 total commitments for their 2011 cycle, 17 of them happened in the February of the year prior. 100% of them happened before the kids' senior seasons.

2/3 and 75% of their class may be a lot, but that's a lot better than the 100% they were rolling with prior to 2012.

Miami had ~60% of their class wrapped up in 2012 before senior year football start, for a contrast. And down here is a completely different high school football culture than that in Texas.

I only proved your point if you have a distorted definition of "have a balance" (your words). 73.3% (to be exact) of Texas' class was done before the Texas kids had finished their junior years (in Mid June). That is not balance. It's simply "better" than 100%, which is over the top ridiculous.

Miami had 4 of 18 of the players they ultimately signed happen before July of 2012 (the time measured for Texas, for consistency). Your numbers are completely off. That's 11%.

Don't know if your intent is to troll. I realize that's sometimes your game around here, or so you've claimed in that recent thread. If so, I'm not interested.

No trolling. I think you're idea of what "normal" is around the country for top teams is a bit distorted.

When your number is at 100% and you come down to 60-75% of your class that is more of a balance. Considering the culture of Texas high school football and Texas' own methodology in recruiting, how you can say it is anything but, strikes me as odd. Any school's normal (good) recruiting class should have most (>50%) of their class committed prior to the start of the fall semester...some random recruiting classes:

Just a random sampling. I am sure there are some that drop into the 40-50% range with strong closes. But, 60-75% isn't abnormal...hence, when I said its more of a balance.

Also, what is the difference between July and August? There is none and its arbitrary...both schools had X number before the season started (FWIW, Texas didn't have any commits in July/August/September). FWIW, the 2012 Recruiting Class is where I based my numbers...Miami had 19 commitments before they started fall semester in a 33 kid class.

Miami's 2013 Class had low numbers...6 commitments before the start of fall semester...with a bulk of their class relying on commitments from South Florida players to commit late (I think we learned what that experiment yields)...which goes into my comment about culture. South Florida and Texas high school football culture while both important, don't strike me as similar.

I also don't understand your comment on Texas' recruiting being inefficient. Their method strikes me as being efficient. Inefficient would be recruiting a bulk of your class throughout the entire process. Lets not forget, with that recruiting method they won a National Title and had one of the best runs of the 2000's and produced a ton of NFL talent...plus, its not like those late-in-the-game recruiting battles for James Kirkendoll and Robert Killebrew yielding much of anything.

Not going to get into further semantics with you. Had you said they were trending toward improving their ratio "toward" more balance, I'd have said "agree" and let it go. Your reply plainly said "now they have a balance." It's not a balance. They're still leaning heavily toward commitments before the end of kids' junior years of HS.

When you pulled the data you used for examples, you decided to change the measure to make it "before the fall semester" (instead of before the end of their junior years), which would obviously include summer evaluations. TAMU, for example, had 4 of those commitments during the summer evals. LSU '12 had 3 and FSU '12 had 2. That'd bring all of them closer to the middle.

I'm not sure what you don't understand about the inefficiency. The objective of recruiting isn't to "finish" your class with as little effort as possible and "be stable." The universal objective is to get as many of the best players into your available slots, so your team benefits from the infusion of talent.

When you generally lean [hard, though less hard now] toward extremely early evaluations and forego later evaluations, you leave later developing kids out from being selected. In other words, you leave out potential talent that was not previously seen or developed. You miss out on a portion of your objective in a trade for expediency and stability. As it relates to the bottom line objective, that is inefficient.

I understand your inefficiency comment well, I just don't agree with it.

You even said "universal objective is to get as many of the best players into your available slots, so your team benefits from the infusion of talent"...well, Texas produced as many pro players, as many All-Conference types, and produced one of the best records (with a National Title) as any team in the country throughout the 2000's...with most of their recruiting classes done before fall classes start...the bottom line results say, it was pretty efficient...

As for the rest...I see no difference between in the arbitrary dates...FWIW, Mack Brown's football camp takes place in early June and have camps with kids going into the 7th grade lol. LSU for example has their camp in mid-to-late July, FSU has two, one in late June and one in July. Why is it important? Texas' summer evals take place a lot earlier than most other schools.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I understand your inefficiency comment well, I just don't agree with it.

You even said "universal objective is to get as many of the best players into your available slots, so your team benefits from the infusion of talent"...well, Texas produced as many pro players, as many All-Conference types, and produced one of the best records (with a National Title) as any team in the country throughout the 2000's...with most of their recruiting classes done before fall classes start...the bottom line results say, it was pretty efficient...

As for the rest...I see no difference between in the arbitrary dates...FWIW, Mack Brown's football camp takes place in early June and have camps with kids going into the 7th grade lol. LSU for example has their camp in mid-to-late July, FSU has two, one in late June and one in July. Why is it important? Texas' summer evals take place a lot earlier than most other schools.

Let's start winding this down.

The fact that Texas has produced as many pro players, etc., as any team in the country while still foreclosing themselves to late evaluations speaks more to the talent available to them than their efficiency with the objective.

It's not an arbitrary date. One date includes complete summer evaluations and the other does not. Did you just say that Texas' summer evals take place earlier than most other schools? How does that answer the rest of the combines, camps and events? The point is that HS kids develop quite a bit between their junior and senior seasons. If they're taking kids before the junior years end, they are basing their evaluations mainly on junior seasons and a handful of commitments on spring and extremely early summer. Bottom line: they foreclose a look at summer camps and combines and leave less spots for senior season evals.

This isn't something that should lead to much more discussion. The fact is Texas shuts out more kids than other teams do in the name of stability. They're further away from "balance" than other teams are. I think they can do better in their approach.

As long as we get lane, I'm good, there's plenty of sofl talent at receiver this cycle

This is exactly why I never get excited over junior commits. Odds are Alin Edouard and Darling won't end up here either.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This is exactly why I never get excited over junior commits. Odds are Alin Edouard and Darling won't end up here either.

Doubt it with Alin and Doubt it with Darling. Alin and Darling are both recruiting guys to come to Miami. Alin seems like the ultimate class lynchpin.

I'm tired of the attitude that comes with these 17 year old "kids."

Imo 17 years old is an adult, not a kid.

If Rudolph the red nosed traitor wants to go to UF, he can go **** himself. I'm not going to give any love to some emotional little ****** who can't man up and stick with a god**** decision.

Decide to stick with your commitment, or go **** yourself.

Enjoy Gainesville.

Advertisement
This is the kid Walsh coaches right?

I'm not sweating an annoying recruiting interview just yet. I have faith.

I agree with Lu on the Texas approach. Guys like Sean Taylor werent on anyones radar until his senior year and if it were Texas they'd be full at that point. Makes no sense, especially down here as the coaching isnt what it is in Texas.

Furthermore, Texas is a completely different situation as its a much bigger state and they are far and away the number one option for 90% of kids. We couldnt take that approach if we wanted to.

As for Rudolph, I'm a big fan. He's a different type of player than Lane and I think he's ready to play right away. As others have said, WR is deep this year so we will survive regardless.

Commitment in 2013 basically means dont give away my spot until I know I will have other options. Whatever.

Advertisement
Back