QBS in the Portal as of 11/28

I think you're Missing my point. It wasn't the kids fault. It was a coach at a school who should have known better. If the NCAA won't grant him another year then sue is my point.

The kid was taken advantage of by a professional. What is the kid going to do, tell Nick Saban on the sideline he isn't going in the game?? Parents are in the stands they are helpless.

Yes. The Tua Family are victims of Nick Saban and Alabama. Kidnapping them from Hawaii to Tuscaloosa needs to be investigated.

Advertisement
You have a problem with another year of eligibility for a guy who lost a one by taking a knee?
he didn't take a knee he handed it off once in one game and Rb broke a 40 yard TD run to cap off the drive and the other he handed it off twice. Again just because the play wasn't for him in those games doesn't mean thy shouldn't count especially since those weren't the games that cost him his RS. TheW Carolina game where he threw a Td was his 5th game played. If you start not counting games where you don't get snaps for RS there will be a bunch players asking for waivers

Last edited:
Tua should argue that the years of eligibility rule are arbitrary and carprious. They are not enforced with consistency. They were designed for a time when most if not all players graduated in 4 years. Now the construct of years in college for athletes has changed. Also, it restricts the ability of a player to earn under NIL, violating anti-trust rules, and creates a punishment for athletes (prevents athletes for obtaining advanced degrees). It allows the schools to control their work force without proper compensation.

Disclaimer....I am not a lawyer but have watched a lot of them on TV

Advertisement
I wouldn't have a problem if Miami ended up with him either.
He has experience. He's seen the SEC and BIG10 teams. He went through a few training camps with Saban before he spent time with Locksley. If he's anything like his brother his work ethic is top notch. Is he exciting to watch? IDK. Probably not as exciting as many would like to see. But he will be able to manage the game and make the decisions needed.

Mario needs to win games this upcoming season.
I think he would do that. If this year showed anything, we just need a QB to manage the game and not kill us. That happens and 9/10 is much easier. A true freshman that shouldn’t be playing, really didn’t play well led us to a win at Clemson and a 1 score score game at FSU with a chance to win. Does an elite arm make the year easier an and have us at 10 or more wins as opposed to 7. For sure. But we were not that far away from 9 or 10 either with the way QB roomed played.

Mario needs to win. But he doesn’t need to win a national championship this year

Tua should argue that the years of eligibility rule are arbitrary and carprious. They are not enforced with consistency. They were designed for a time when most if not all players graduated in 4 years. Now the construct of years in college for athletes has changed. Also, it restricts the ability of a player to earn under NIL, violating anti-trust rules, and creates a punishment for athletes (prevents athletes for obtaining advanced degrees). It allows the schools to control their work force without proper compensation.

Disclaimer....I am not a lawyer but have watched a lot of them on TV
arbitrary and carprious is the easiest argument. Why 4 games for a redshirt? A player can start and play 4 full games, but I took a couple of hand offs in 5 games and I lose a year? Totally arbitrary. Tau argues I played in lest than .01% of my teams plays over the season and other players with much higher percentages were granted redshirts.

Last edited:
For me I’ve watched him a lot and I’m just not impressed. People want to point at his OC’s but the reality is Locksley is a brilliant offensive mind and has a massive role in that offense, and schemes up some beauties.

He’s first all time in passing yards in a conference that’s known for not throwing the ball a ton, and he’s 7th all time in attempts. Volume stats are a terrible way of evaluating a QB, especially since passing yards have continued to boom. Go look at the names in the top 20 for the B1G all time passing yards from the last decade and tell me how impressed you are with those names.
I hear that for sure. I’m not a QB guy so I don’t know enough from film. I never look at stats as a tell all. Look at Daniels/Penix/ Even Nix prior to transferring.

He was the QB for a team that was an underdog in almost every game. They went 7-6 and then 8-5 twice. In a tougher conference and against very good defenses. All that while passing for 3k yards three straight years. And great numbers.

Winning and having those number for three straight years against those defenses means something. Is he the top QB in the portal, no. But he deserves considering if he gets a waiver. My point was Miami fans passing over it just because, is peak Miami fans

I think you're Missing my point. It wasn't the kids fault. It was a coach at a school who should have known better. If the NCAA won't grant him another year then sue is my point.

The kid was taken advantage of by a professional. What is the kid going to do, tell Nick Saban on the sideline he isn't going in the game?? Parents are in the stands they are helpless.
@No_Fly_Zone Motion For Redshirt nunc pro tunc?

Advertisement
I hear that for sure. I’m not a QB guy so I don’t know enough from film. I never look at stats as a tell all. Look at Daniels/Penix/ Even Nix prior to transferring.

He was the QB for a team that was an underdog in almost every game. They went 7-6 and then 8-5 twice. In a tougher conference and against very good defenses. All that while passing for 3k yards three straight years. And great numbers.

Winning and having those number for three straight years against those defenses means something. Is he the top QB in the portal, no. But he deserves considering if he gets a waiver. My point was Miami fans passing over it just because, is peak Miami fans
Maryland was favored in 9 of their 12 regular season games this year and 8 of 12 in 2022. That team is not as bad as people want to act like. They were more than 2 TD favorites against Illinois and Northwestern and lost them both.

I have no clue but the people that don’t want Tua, why is that. Is it because they have watched him enough to know he isn’t good. My point is he is the all time big 10 passing leader probably for a reason.
Yeah he'd be a decent option after striking on on ward Howard and kj...Salter would be my choice but if there's no shot at him Taulia makes sense. Just don't see why he'd be granted a waiver...maybe it works out

Advertisement
I genuinely think Mario has this "Most Dangerous Game" attitude towards everything. It's probably why he's such a great recruiter. But the dude LOVES the hunt and LOVES the challenge. And the more difficult the prey the more he latches on.
Yeah, that tenacity and refusal to be denied once he hones in on something is mostly good, but can backfire at times. Overall I'm glad he's that way, as its what makes him such a great recruiter.

Updated column now that little Tua is in the Portal:

Crazier things have happened but you would think he wouldn't enter the portal without having a pretty good idea the waiver will be granted. Otherwise he would be better served trying to get into one of the showcase games/preparing for the draft.

Advertisement
Get a comfortable chair and a good bottle ( probably a good case cause this gonna go a while ) of bourbon cause this might go into April at the rate Mario moves….

Or when is NFL Supplemental Draft? Waiver gets denied and he can enter that one.

Or when is NFL Supplemental Draft? Waiver gets denied and he can enter that one.

Better make it 2 cases then…or worse yet he has to sue and it takes another 6 months before a decision is handed down and Mario waits around knowing that he might just get his QB…ok. Make it a 50 gallon barrel cause I know a lot of Cane fans will want in while we wait….

Just not good planning or projecting at all from Mario, and guys who say “wait and see what happens” will be sorely disappointed I’m sure. When Ward is off the table (which he left long ago to have Mario still sitting there) and Taulia fizzles out, whats the rest of the board look like? Was there even a board? The famous “1 and1” strategy netted zero, now we are hoping that someone will take our chump change to play QB. 24 season shaping up to be rough no matter who starts at QB if this is all going “according to plan”

Just not good planning or projecting at all from Mario, and guys who say “wait and see what happens” will be sorely disappointed I’m sure. When Ward is off the table (which he left long ago to have Mario still sitting there) and Taulia fizzles out, whats the rest of the board look like? Was there even a board? The famous “1 and1” strategy netted zero, now we are hoping that someone will take our chump change to play QB. 24 season shaping up to be rough no matter who starts at QB if this is all going “according to plan”

IF Ward goes to NFL & Taulia waiver is denied then guess Mario back at this all over in April

Advertisement
Back