Portal OL 2024 Edition

*In before joke about us having room for all OL.

I’m assuming he’d be Cohen’s replacement? What does this say, if anything, about where they think McCoy and Kinsler are on the development TL? I’m all for taking veteran grown men on the OL/DL and letting the chips fall where they may.
If this kid is legit and starts how does Samson get onto the field ? Or maybe his injury is worse than we thought (and considering our recent medical history I expect the worst).

Advertisement
This is VERY interesting and I assume would lead to some additional attrition in the summer portal.

I’m not sold on McCoy at LG tbh and I’m sure Mario sees the hole that Cohen is about to leave behind

This is VERY interesting and I assume would lead to some additional attrition in the summer portal.

I’m not sold on McCoy at LG tbh and I’m sure Mario sees the hole that Cohen is about to leave behind
Definitely hard to imagine one of the 2023 OL or McCoy wouldn't leave if we bring this kid aboard, but you also can't pass on an award winning plug & play guy either vs an unknown.

If this kid is legit and starts how does Samson get onto the field ? Or maybe his injury is worse than we thought (and considering our recent medical history I expect the worst).

Valid question. Kid has to compete and earn his spot. Prior to Rivers coming back, I would have said him and Bell are fighting for the LT spot. Now, I have no clue. Maybe they have plans to move one of Rivers/Mauigoa inside? (I hope not) Regardless, I trust them to put the best 5 out there.

If Samson is sitting this year and not one of our top 6, I expect the transfer rumors to be loud and heavy but hopefully he trusts the plan/development Mario/Mirabal have laid out for him.

Advertisement
Valid question. Kid has to compete and earn his spot. Prior to Rivers coming back, I would have said him and Bell are fighting for the LT spot. Now, I have no clue. Maybe they have plans to move one of Rivers/Mauigoa inside? (I hope not) Regardless, I trust them to put the best 5 out there.

If Samson is sitting this year and not one of our top 6, I expect the transfer rumors to be loud and heavy but hopefully he trusts the plan/development Mario/Mirabal have laid out for him.
At this point you almost have to start Samson 4 games against the lesser teams on the schedule to keep him comfortable enough to stay, unless he's trash. HBCU, USF, and Ball State games he can take LT and give Rivers a rest.

Started all games this season for UW at guard, former 4 star recruit.

Probably on the same level as McCoy and Kinsler, but much older.

If he’s ok with competing for it, he’ll come.

I highly doubt they’ll let this dude walk right in and start. He had a rough playoffs against Texas and Michigan really beat the **** out of him.

At this point you almost have to start Samson 4 games against the lesser teams on the schedule to keep him comfortable enough to stay, unless he's trash. HBCU, USF, and Ball State games he can take LT and give Rivers a rest.
Mario ain’t gonna run it like that. This season means to much and they need to win as many games as possible.

Advertisement
View attachment 279990

He’s gotten worse over the years.
not exactly, look at the snaps. before 2023 just 300 in 3 years, then full time starter in 2023 with almost 1k snaps. the grades in the partial seasons are whatever, the only one that really matters is over a full season.

the overall line is very similar to cohen. he had a 59 grade in 800 snaps at miami this year. they gave up about the same number of pressures considering cohen played fewer snaps (13 cohen vs 16) and sacks (1 each). cohen had 3 fewer penalties which i suspect is what brought this guys grade lower. both had 98% efficiency ratings (snaps / pressures).

hate to make such an easy comparison but they appear similar, at least based on last year. cohen came in more established and with a lot more experience under his belt and it was SEC vs p12. Cohen had allowed zero sacks in 1600 snaps at bama.

*In before joke about us having room for all OL.

I’m assuming he’d be Cohen’s replacement? What does this say, if anything, about where they think McCoy and Kinsler are on the development TL? I’m all for taking veteran grown men on the OL/DL and letting the chips fall where they may.
I'm more curious what it says about Samson. I wonder how he gets integrated year 2. You think this means he is far off? Thought he would start somewhere this year.

Last edited:
Mario ain’t gonna run it like that. This season means to much and they need to win as many games as possible.
Facts!! This season is the season to make some noise. We need the best product period on the field. OL is a strength and should be. Other elite talent wouldnt view this as a knock based on The coaches record of evals and the fact FM got on the field and was a freshman all american. I agree I cant see Mario or Mirabel letting one kids feelings jeopardize the unit as a whole. Get the kid and push some of the others out in spring. We need to honestly lose a couple developmental o line to free up some spots.

Advertisement
Facts!! This season is the season to make some noise. We need the best product period on the field. OL is a strength and should be. Other elite talent wouldnt view this as a knock based on The coaches record of evals and the fact FM got on the field and was a freshman all american. I agree I cant see Mario or Mirabel letting one kids feelings jeopardize the unit as a whole. Get the kid and push some of the others out in spring. We need to honestly lose a couple developmental o line to free up some spots.
Especially when you consider the fact that Mario and Mirabal will continue to do 2 things on the OL:

1. Recruit elite HS kids - I would especially imagine this to be true this year since we didn't get any elite kids last year. Definitely think we get a 5 star OT/OG this year.
2. Recruit elite portal kids

If we lose Samson or Kinsler or McCoy, that would suck. No doubt. But if you can upgrade the OL immediately for next year, you absolutely do it.

So if feelings get hurt and kids leave, Mario will just go out there and get a similar caliber player (if not better) in high school or the portal for 2025. I have zero doubts about that.

I'm more curious what it says about Samson. I wonder how he gets integrated year 2. You think this means he is far off? Thought he would start somewhere this year.
I’m starting to worry about Samson too. The injury didn’t help but there are some whispers that he isn’t good enough to warrant his NIL allocation.

This is pure speculation but you can’t pay big bucks to a backup OL. He’s probably getting critical starter money today to sit on the bench. We don’t have a Texas budget.

If Mr. Pancake is not sharing reps on the first team by end of Spring (notwithstanding his injury), I would not be surprised if his NIL allocation is lowered. That will trigger a portal entry.

CFB has always been a business disguised as amateurism. But, once you start openly paying kids to play, it transforms the business. Players today will be treated like professionals. Perform or move along. Programs can’t afford to have hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up on the bench. If you need a couple of years to develop, you will be paid accordingly. If you don’t like it, transfer.

Advertisement
Probably on the same level as McCoy and Kinsler, but much older.

If he’s ok with competing for it, he’ll come.

I highly doubt they’ll let this dude walk right in and start. He had a rough playoffs against Texas and Michigan really beat the **** out of him.
Will let others evaluate talent level, but would assume this kid isn’t making a move without some assurance of a starting job. Not handing him NIL money to simply add depth.

Will let others evaluate talent level, but would assume this kid isn’t making a move without some assurance of a starting job. Not handing him NIL money to simply add depth.

Then he probably won’t come.

I doubt there’s any NIL money to be notable and I’m certain they won’t hand him the starting LG spot.

Advertisement
Back