Miami AD Blake James

121.gif

Advertisement
What he did with the Women's soccer program tells you he knows what UM is. Hocutt was actually a decent AD, Eichorst was a disaster. James, so far so good.

What did he do with the women's soccer program?

Fired an abusive coach that the previous guy had hired from the midwest and hired a future superstar with the same Northeast/east coast type pedigree that Golden and Larranaga have. He sensed a situation that could turn ugly and moved very quickly to snuff that out. 60 days later he had made a great hire. In two years the soccer team will be in the top 10.

A stadium is far from impossible, however, if it is never really made a priority by the school it will never happen. If Shalala wanted it to happen and put the necessary effort behind it, she could get it done.

Correct.

Why would they not want it to happen, if it was in the realm of possibilities?

Wanting it to happen and making it a priority are two extremely different things.

There is no indication it is a priority because any time it is brought up it is dismissed or something else is brought to the table (i.e. the renovations to Sun Life which were voted it down). I am sure they WANT a stadium, it just may not be a priority.

I am all about the 7 year plan to get us a stadium, I would fine if we kicked off 2020 with our own new stadium. I want to see a plan, to believe it is a priority and it is within the realm of possibilities.

I dunno, maybe its a goal of his and also maybe the goal is further down the list to umm lets say, getting back to a Nat'l Championship status FIRST!!
When you look at the coaches and AD Miami has, you have to feel good about the position of the athletic department.

I would agree 100% if we got rid of Blake James and Coach Morris.

What's your issue(s) with James?

Lack of desire for a stadium, I just think he is a JAG. Nothing that special IMO.

Advertisement
I dunno, maybe its a goal of his and also maybe the goal is further down the list to umm lets say, getting back to a Nat'l Championship status FIRST!!
When you look at the coaches and AD Miami has, you have to feel good about the position of the athletic department.

Lack of desire for a stadium, I just think he is a JAG. Nothing that special IMO.

Yes, those two goals are mutually exclusive. Good call.

So let's say it is a goal further down the line, does that mean he is going to announce it in 7 years and then follow the announcement with a 5 year plan? Roughly 12 years from now there is a chance then?

I think it isn't a priority of his, the AD needs to get the HC what he needs to win. How about a place to call our home that would actually give us a home field advantage?

So let's say it is a goal further down the line, does that mean he is going to announce it in 7 years and then follow the announcement with a 5 year plan? Roughly 12 years from now there is a chance then?

I think it isn't a priority of his, the AD needs to get the HC what he needs to win. How about a place to call our home that would actually give us a home field advantage?

If it was a possibility, why would the AD not make it a priority?

If it was a possibility, why would the AD not make it a priority?

Okay let me play devil's advocate.

Why isn't it a possibility?

I Have no idea if it is or isn't a possibility, but you seem to be implying it is. If that's true, why wouldn't all parties involved make it a top priority? Do you think they haven't done their due diligence in the past to see if it would be viable?

Advertisement
I Have no idea if it is or isn't a possibility, but you seem to be implying it is. If that's true, why wouldn't all parties involved make it a top priority? Do you think they haven't done their due diligence in the past to see if it would be viable?

Here is my POV, I think if it was a priority there would be a plan in place (even long term) or some type of excitement towards the idea. The fact that the Admin + AD was fine with the potential renovations to landjism stadium leads me to think they are fine with being there.

In addition, there is no smoke or any type of talk in regards to us getting our own home. By now at least we would hear some whispers, the reason (IMO) we don't hear whispers is because I think the school is content with our current situation.

Maybe it is a good thing the renovations were denied by the city/county because we need to start thinking of ourselves and what is best for the University. I assure you, it is not the current set-up.

Credit Hocutt for picking Golden.

Credit Eichorst for picking Coach L.

Dee was a good AD administratively, but he couldn't pick a coach.

Hocutt said an AD's *primary* job was hiring good coaches, and I agree with that.

I like everything about Blake so far, but I am reserving judgment until I see him hire a coach of a major sport.

So what do you really think a stadium would accomplish? More revenue, who knows, better attendance, doubtful, what you may gain from being closer to campus you'll lose in fans from Palm Beach and north counties, call it a wash. At this point the program needs to win and that in itself would cause an increase in revenue due to ticket sales and whatever revenue situation they have with Sunlife.
Personally I would love a 55k seat stadium that is just Miami's, similar to what Baylor is building, but I can't fault the admin for not making it a priority at this time.

Advertisement
Credit Hocutt for picking Golden.

Credit Eichorst for picking Coach L.

Dee was a good AD administratively, but he couldn't pick a coach.

Hocutt said an AD's *primary* job was hiring good coaches, and I agree with that.

I like everything about Blake so far, but I am reserving judgment until I see him hire a coach of a major sport.
Hopefully both coaches end their storied careers here and he can take a long time protege. If that dream doesn't come to fruition, we shall see...... At least he saw it done correctly and can learn what to look for.

Advertisement
FTR, dee hired butch, who put the pieces of UM back together, and Coker who (like it or not) **** near won back-to-back NCs. Hindsight being what it is, you can say it was dumb to extend Coker, but he was the coach we needed to reach 2 BCS champ games--there's no guarantee that we get there if we bring in an outsider who overhauled the staff and mucked with the play book.

He also brought in Jim Morris, who won a couple of NCs and put us in the CWS for the first 7 or 8 years of his career here.

Anyone who says he didn't make any good hires is full of ****. He also made some bad decisions, to be sure--extending Coker and hiring SHannon stand out as the worst. I give him a pass on Clark and Haith, as it's not like UM was ever a big basketball school, and those 2 coaches combined took UM to 3 of our 7 NCAAT appearances and a few NITs...neither was a great coach, and obviously Clark in particular turned into a lazy sack of crap, but they both accomplished more than nearly all other b-ball coaches we've ever had.

Last edited:
So what do you really think a stadium would accomplish? More revenue, who knows, better attendance, doubtful, what you may gain from being closer to campus you'll lose in fans from Palm Beach and north counties, call it a wash. At this point the program needs to win and that in itself would cause an increase in revenue due to ticket sales and whatever revenue situation they have with Sunlife.
Personally I would love a 55k seat stadium that is just Miami's, similar to what Baylor is building, but I can't fault the admin for not making it a priority at this time.

Our current situation is excellent.

It's virtually the same situation we've had since the dawn of UM football: playing in a stadium we don't own located off campus. I haven't heard a single AD "make a priority" of getting an on-campus stadium in the way that you're expecting James to do. Blaming him for not publicly pushing the issue is retarded.

It's virtually the same situation we've had since the dawn of UM football: playing in a stadium we don't own located off campus. I haven't heard a single AD "make a priority" of getting an on-campus stadium in the way that you're expecting James to do. Blaming him for not publicly pushing the issue is retarded.

While the orange bowl was better because it felt like our home, the current situation at dead life is terrible. Also please
Stop saying on-campus, we just want our own 50k place. We never really had that, I am curious why our own fans are so against this plan.

Advertisement
Back