Coaching Jacory Harris - To me, A warning to Coach Cristobal

if you had said this from the top instead of "don't make your receivers blockers to fit your running agenda" i might have taken you seriously.

I doubt @PIPO GAF whether you take him seriously or not. But maybe pull the stick out of your **** and read what he wrote as opposed to jumping all over the one point you might disagree with.

On Donno's Locked On Canes podcast, Jacory Harris glowed about Miami, Shannon, and everything related to the program. But he also recalled (super-respectfully) that he was promised a spread offense and never saw it, and that if he were coach, he wouldn't bring in players that didn't fit his system.

So if Mario (and Dawson) recruits in guys like Ray Ray, Skinner, Lofton and Jeremiah Smith, he/they better be ready for a lot of dissatisfaction and a recruiting boomerang if he/they continue what we saw in 2023. Because half of those pass attempts you are so excited about were behind the line. 80% of them were to 3 receivers, most to 1. Virtually none to the tight end until the last couple of games, and those were primarily to a blocking tight end who dropped most of his targets. That is not an air raid offense. That's not using your weapons.

I am personally hopeful that Mario allows the offense to be opened up a lot with the right QB in place. But it's a legit concern.

Advertisement
Cool story! We know this. Big improvement from last year.

Not sure how you can ignore certain aspects of the offense and how certain players are or aren’t being utilized (see tight ends, Brashard, Ray Ray, etc).

I wasn’t criticizing. I was pontificating what a former player said and that other steps, like taking advantage of your skilled players to be even better.
************ acts like 42nd is high up there in pass attempts.

Trust mario bro!!!!!!! He got you!!!

I do love some good treats

wet GIF
Where da wyte women is???!!!!

miami was 42nd in the country in pass attempts per game this season. we threw more passes per game than LSU, texas, ohio state, and FSU. some of you guys wouldn't know football if one hit you in the face.
Miami's offense was generally well balanced. The numbers can get skewed a bit because we had a quarterback who rarely scrambled and didn't get sacked a lot either so almost every called pass went down as a passing attempt whereas teams like LSU and FSU called a ton of pass plays that went down as rushing plays because they had quarterbacks who would tuck it and run a lot. Jordan Travis ran the ball 73 times this year and Jayden Daniels ran the ball 143 times. A lot of those were pass calls that turned into scrambles. Meanwhile, Tyler Van Dyke only had 24 total carries on the season.

Advertisement
We're not going to play the stats game here and feel like it's an end all be all point are we?

Who cares how many pass attempts we had vs WHEN we passed the ball?

How many pass attempts did we have on 1st/, 2nd down? How many play action pass attempts? How many pass attempts that featured multiple routes to the **** sticks?

How many pass attempts after a big play?

How many pass attempts out of 10 personnel, using the speed and talent of the receivers?

How many pass attempts with McCormick going out for routes?

We had games where we were down multiple scores in the 4th quarter and were huddling, running out the clock and running an inside/outside zone into a loaded box. We're not going to sit here and act like yall don't see what this man is talking about 🤣🤣🤣

Advertisement
Advertisement
Jacory was on with Donno. Great interview. He talked about how when he was being recruited they told him they were changing to a spread offense. They lied to him. He shared other great stories about shouting matches with OCs about the offense, etc.

He said if he were a coach, he would recruit players that fit your scheme vs those that don’t.

To me, not Jacory, this should serve as a warning to CMC and Dawson - either recruit the QB and players that fit your scheme or change your scheme to fit the talent you are bringing in on the offensive side of the ball.

You are bringing in all of these receivers in this recruiting class. Don’t make them all blockers to fit your running agenda. Get a transfer QB that will take advantage of the skill set of the players you bring into the program.

To me, this is one of the things that has killed this Miami program prior to Lashlee and now Mario - Onion, Golden, Richt and Manny (prior to Lashlee) running antiquated systems which then forced our best skill players to basically just go elsewhere. I am not saying anything earth shattering but I hope things will trend in the right way in 2024.

Go Canes!!
IIRC, Mark Whipple was the OC with Jacory. Whipple loved throwing that deep bomb.

Advertisement
Once again it’s about creativity and finding matchups. Throwing the ball doesn’t mean **** if the route concepts are antiquated or it’s predictable. When db’s are sitting on routes because the formation is predictable you need to get more creative. Just watch UL, BC then go watch previous games. Just the motion and more spread formations helps a lot .

Advertisement
Back