Tears Duck Tears

Advertisement
Oregon is a better job in regards to financial resources. That said, Oregon also doesn't have a local recruiting base, you aren't in a football hotbed, and you have to rely on SC being incompetent to really have a chance at blue chip guys in your best recruiting area(California). Miami on the other hand, you have to fight in regards to financial resources, but you have a ton of talent right outside your front door and unlike Oregon, you have something to sell them besides "We have Nike money".

Oregon is great if you want to get paid and be a 10-2,11-1 guy that isn't really in the CFP convo. A good coach at Miami can win titles, plural. Different strokes for different folks.
Hear me out on this and let me know what you think.

I don't fully agree that modern day teams need to have the best local recruits stay home. Does it help? Absolutely! But, that doesn't happen as much today. Miami was able to capitalize on it back in the 80s and 90s before the internet and social media was really a thing. Showing out for you city meant something back then. Today? That's towards the bottom of the list of things that important to recruits. It's more of the cherry on top but some people hate cherries so they will decline one if given the choice.

How many top rated kids today grow up in Miami, root for Miami since the age of 4, and then go to Georgia, LSU, OSU, Alabama, etc? Also, how many kids grow up in Miami, root for FSPoo or Gaytor since the age of 4, and then go to Georgia, Oklahoma, OSU, Alabama, etc? Playing for the team you grew up watching is usually whoever was/is dominate at the time you were easily influenced as a kid and then is still relevant today. Another crazy thing, the class of '22 and '23 (born in what? ~05-07?) has never seen Miami be anything other than absolutely mediocre IN THEIR LIVES.

Today, top rated kids will go to the schools with the best facilities, willing to pay them the most, and put them in the best position to continue to the NFL. Basically money, coaching, and the ability to compete at a top 10+ program that has a chance of going to the CFP. This is usually in-spite of whoever their 'dream school' growing up was. Their dream school is whoever has the prior mentioned resources at the age of 16-17 when they get those recruiting stars and schools flying out to see them.

Advertisement

I don't fully agree that modern day teams need to have the best local recruits stay home. Does it help? Absolutely! But, that doesn't happen as much today. Miami was able to capitalize on it back in the 80s and 90s before the internet and social media was really a thing. Showing out for you city meant something back then. Today? That's towards the bottom of the list of things that important to recruits. It's more of the cherry on top but some people hate cherries so they will decline one if given the choice.

How many top rated kids today grow up in Miami, root for Miami since the age of 4, and then go to Georgia, LSU, OSU, Alabama, etc? Also, how many kids grow up in Miami, root for FSPoo or Gaytor since the age of 4, and then go to Georgia, Oklahoma, OSU, Alabama, etc? Playing for the team you grew up watching is usually whoever was/is dominate at the time you were easily influenced as a kid and then is still relevant today. Another crazy thing, the class of '22 and '23 (born in what? ~05-07?) has never seen Miami be anything other than absolutely mediocre IN THEIR LIVES.

Today, top rated kids will go to the schools with the best facilities, willing to pay them the most, and put them in the best position to continue to the NFL. Basically money, coaching, and the ability to compete at a top 10+ program that has a chance of going to the CFP. This is usually in-spite of whoever their 'dream school' growing up was. Their dream school is whoever has the prior mentioned resources at the age of 16-17 when they get those recruiting stars and schools flying out to see them.
You need to have a base level of talent to compete for championships. This is why Oregon has historically not competed for titles while USC has. The most efficient way to do that is to lock down as many good local kids as you can, while supplementing them with talent from areas that have been historically good to the program and where the Miami sales pitch works best(Eastern Seaboard, Texas, Cali)

A good coach at Miami, should be able to put together a compelling enough product in order to keep some of these highly rated kids home. Think about how many guys that ended up at Alabama, LSU and other places over the last decade, that had Miami in the hunt late. Lots of them, but the fact that Miami has been mediocre for so long has been a problem. A compelling product may keep 2-3 of those close calls home and with the right coach, 2-3 extra top end guys can be the difference.

Yes, there are some kids that will always go to the highest bidder, mercenary kids that will go to the programs that are hot at the moment. That's been true forever, Miami will never be able to get every blue chip guy from their backyard, it's numerically impossible. That said, Miami, with a legit coach, that can not only attract these guys, but DEVELOP them will be able to keep a better percentage home than a mediocre coach, who is not only an awful recruiter, but worse at player development.

Y’all might want to do a Ducks Tears thread.

The comment section salted my eggs for breakfast.

What is Godfrey's explanation for why Willie Taggart left Oregon for his dream job (F$U)? Does F$U have a 30-for-30 that I missed?

Y’all might want to do a Ducks Tears thread.

The comment section salted my eggs for breakfast.

Even if it were a better job—Mario is from Miami, his wife is from Miami, his brother is a cop in Miami, his family is in Miami, he grew up in Miami, he graduated from Columbus High in Miami, he and his wife are proud Cubans from Miami, he won two national titles at Miami and Miami will always be home.

Eugene, Oregon will always be Eugene, Oregon—and a true Miamian doesn't want to be there if his dream job in his dream city opened up.

Oregon might be a "better job" for the average, everyday college coach—but Mario Cristobal is Miami, through and through. Period. Hard stop.

Advertisement
Even if it were a better job—Mario is from Miami, his wife is from Miami, his brother is a cop in Miami, his family is in Miami, he grew up in Miami, he graduated from Columbus High in Miami, he and his wife are proud Cubans from Miami, he won two national titles at Miami and Miami will always be home.

Eugene, Oregon will always be Eugene, Oregon—and a true Miamian doesn't want to be there if his dream job in his dream city opened up.

Oregon might be a "better job" for the average, everyday college coach—but Mario Cristobal is Miami, through and through. Period. Hard stop.
I’m hoping you’re a friend or relative. We want to believe. Lol

Oregon is a better job in regards to financial resources. That said, Oregon also doesn't have a local recruiting base, you aren't in a football hotbed, and you have to rely on SC being incompetent to really have a chance at blue chip guys in your best recruiting area(California). Miami on the other hand, you have to fight in regards to financial resources, but you have a ton of talent right outside your front door and unlike Oregon, you have something to sell them besides "We have Nike money".

Oregon is great if you want to get paid and be a 10-2,11-1 guy that isn't really in the CFP convo. A good coach at Miami can win titles, plural. Different strokes for different folks.
Oregon out recruits us every year, California has a massive recruiting base and a lot of them go to Oregon.

result wise, yes

anything else is up to the person wanting a job there
Oregon is a better job across the board... Talk your fan glasses off and think what we offer that Oregon doesn't?

Oregon has better administration that actually cares about their football program.
More Money
State of the art facilities
Better culture
Winning environment
Own stadium

And please don't bring up the we have South Florida talent argument... That's gotten us nowhere in 15 years and Oregon has California talent. Until this place has a clean sweep from the top to the bottom it's going to be the same ol same ol.

Advertisement
Was FSU ? Cause willie bounced out of there faster than a hooker after a nut.
FSU has more money and their Admins care about their football program more. They bought Willie out for I think 23M and then payed Novell 4M to 5M a year. Do you think we would do that ? No....

FSU has more money and their Admins care about their football program more. They bought Willie out for I think 23M and then payed Novell 4M to 5M a year. Do you think we would do that ? No....
The question wasn’t about money. It was about the job.
Oregon got Mario by luck. If willie hadn’t hired him they would be *** looking for another coach. I don’t remember Oregon’s bot doing a national coaching search. If it wasn’t for the players demanding the admin make Mario the head coach then he wouldn’t be there. Oregon was having problems fielding a staff despite having all the money resources and facilities.
It sure as **** would t have been Mario’s first choice. Oregon got lucky.
FSU was a better job because of tradition and location to recruits just like Miami is better because of those reasons. But Miami’s problems are Blake and the department.

The best programs in the country all have significant local recruiting pools, and do very well in those pools. Oregon has been solid despite not having a significant local talent base, but they are at a disadvantage in this regard. Just ask Michigan, Tennessee, and Nebraska. It's a weakness.

Advertisement
Oregon out recruits us every year, California has a massive recruiting base and a lot of them go to Oregon.
Are we talking with Mario or before Mario. With Mario as HC they have out recruited us. Before Mario? Not so much.

UM- 12
OU - 19

UM - 22
OU - 27

UM - 27
OU - 16

UM - 12
OU - 21

UM - 14
OU - 19

UM - 10
OU - 14

They out recruit us because of Mario not because of California recruits.

Don't bother. The guy knows nothing about Oregon's program or ours.

The question wasn’t about money. It was about the job.
Oregon got Mario by luck. If willie hadn’t hired him they would be *** looking for another coach. I don’t remember Oregon’s bot doing a national coaching search. If it wasn’t for the players demanding the admin make Mario the head coach then he wouldn’t be there. Oregon was having problems fielding a staff despite having all the money resources and facilities.
It sure as **** would t have been Mario’s first choice. Oregon got lucky.
FSU was a better job because of tradition and location to recruits just like Miami is better because of those reasons. But Miami’s problems are Blake and the department.
Money is one of the most important things when it comes to the quality of a job. If Mario left, Oregon would go out and hire another Top coaching candidate. When they hired Willie he was a top coaching candidate. How do you know Oregon wouldn't be his 1st Choice? Oregon has been winning for awhile now, Chip Kelly completely turned that Program around and now it's a Top 15 Program in the country.

Don't bother. The guy knows nothing about Oregon's program or ours.
Okay then explain it to me since I don't know, your plugged in to the Oregon athletic department right?...

Go look at our facilities and then look at Oregon

Go look at their football investments then look at ours

Go look at how much they pay their staff then look at ours...

We have alumni and plugged in boosters saying how much a **** show we are right now.

Then you see Oregon and all their success, you see their 100+ million football facilities with all the bells and whistles. They are a program on the rise and we're on the decline. Were viewed as a joke around the rest of the country. So yes I do think Oregon is a better job

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back