DT Board (Portal 2024 Edition)

Advertisement
I think he will be at least as productive and most likely more productive than Deen. He generates a lot of interior pressure. Excited to have him in the rotation.

Advertisement
Not as good against the run.

Deen is going to be an NFL player.

I don’t think Cook has that level of skill in him.
He’s bigger than Deen maybe with the step up in comp and better coaching he can be better bc I think he’s a better athlete than Deen. But Deen was super solid and an NFL guy like u said. Great pick up. Think NC state kid is a stud

He’s bigger than Deen maybe with the step up in comp and better coaching he can be better bc I think he’s a better athlete than Deen. But Deen was super solid and an NFL guy like u said. Great pick up. Think NC state kid is a stud
The size part is what excites me about Cook. Deen was good, but a tad small for my taste. Between Cook and Clark, we're adding some good beef to the interior, something I feel we've been severely lacking lately.

Add in JHH, Moten, Horton, and the freshman, and that's not a bad group at all. Burroughs too

Advertisement
Not as good against the run.

Deen is going to be an NFL player.

I don’t think Cook has that level of skill in him.
He may very well be an NFL player, but he struggled holding the point against Louisville. That was eyebrow raising. What he did well earlier in the season - hard slanting, shooting gaps - is valuable, though.

Some random things that standout about Cook:

• Was the 2018 and 2019 state powerlifting champion
• Won the 3A state meet at 275 pounds, squatting 675 pounds, bench-pressing 390 pounds and dead-lifting 625 pounds

• Voted a permanent team captain by his teammates at MTSU

any thoughts on Cook?
I think he’s a suitable replacement for Deen and likely shouldn’t even need to take the same % of snaps Deen got. I don’t know exactly what he got in NIL, but he appears like exactly the type of ‘value’ guy we need in a rotation. If he were the *only* portal DT, I’d be concerned. As a likely 2nd teamer, I think he’s a fantastic fit.

JHH
Burroughs ??? (I consider him a surprise if he’s around. I don’t count on him at all.)
Clark
Cook
Moten
Horton
Gore (mixed into on whether he has another year)
Scott
Jones
Campbell
Russell

Listen, if we can’t do what we need with that depth and rotation, our evaluations are in the gutter or we’re developing wrong. I’m optimistic about the group.

Advertisement
He may very well be an NFL player, but he struggled holding the point against Louisville. That was eyebrow raising. What he did well earlier in the season - hard slanting, shooting gaps - is valuable, though.

That’s a great point, the interior in general got mugged in the Louisville game.

I wonder how much of that was the defensive play call that had them slanting into gaps that would be vacated by a puller or by design.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back