Define "Miami is Back"

I keep seeing the media saying "Miami is Back". There seem to be a lot of different idea's of what "Back" means.

To me I believe Traditionally "Back" meant in the national title conversation. To be in that convo we needed to finish with 1 loss or less and top 4 sometimes top 5-6. We played for 10 National Titles from 1983-2002 winning 6* :).

I believe with the new Playoff setup you could technically be back if you finish in the top 12 but I expect it would be somewhat rare for a 12th ranked team to win the playoff and win it all. Back to me would mean finishing in the top 6 of the 12-team playoff and at least Split the rivalry games if not win both this year.

I realize some people define back as winning it all but realistically we have only been back like 6 times lol. I think being in the hunt is really what we aim for and understand some years we will win it all and some years we won't, basically like our status from 1983-2002.
We bike when the haters start talking bout our fan base and our empty stadium. When they say you guys had to cheat to win, when we are kicking *** and taking names and we are the most hated football team in America and that includes the NFL. There's nothing like being a cane fan when everyone hates you and this football program.....that's when we bike!!

Advertisement
August can't get here fast enough.

GIF by Giphy QA

Advertisement
Advertisement
We are back when the floor expectation is double digit wins and a playoff appearance(12 team playoffs shouldn’t be that rare)

We will be back when you see the difference on the field compared to our opponent. When the running back houses a big gaping hole, not when Fletcher goes and runs towards the defender. When a WR catches the ball around the 10 yard mark and takes it all the way. Not when he catches the ball and gets tackled.

When the defense frustrates the offense so much that they start creating turnovers. Not when we get a big loss and the offense comes back and gets a first down.

That's when Miami will be back.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Consistently being a threat to win Nattys. Dominate the ACC with very rare exceptions. Double digit wins for 5+ seasons in a row. Go Canes 🏈

Advertisement
Back